Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 CS PDK - Carnewal vs PSE vs Stock (drone)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 11:07 AM
ElCid86
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

I have a Carnewal GT and love the sound in town and "on the throttle". There may be a slight drone a lower RPM in 7th gear but I typically don't drive like that ;-)

BTW, I'm selling my OE 981C exhaust if anyone needs a donor to send to Gert.
Old 01-17-2024, 11:09 AM
ElCid86
Instructor

Originally Posted by rr_gts
Did you order through Cantrell and do the core swap option? If so, let me know how the whole process goes.
Sending you a PM
Old 01-17-2024, 12:25 PM
zberch
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question: Is the Carnewal louder then stock during cold start?
Leave for work early often and always concerned about waking up my son or neighbors.
Because of this I have been thinking I need to get a valved exhaust like soul for $4500.
But the value proposition is tempting to go with the Carnewal at $750 + X-pipe tips $600.

Question; does the Carnewal has the same pops and crackles as the PSE?
Old 01-17-2024, 12:42 PM
Natural1
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by zberch
Leave for work early often and always concerned about waking up my son or neighbors.
Because of this I have been thinking I need to get a valved exhaust like soul for $4500.
But the value proposition is tempting to go with the Carnewal at $750 + X-pipe tips $600.

To the "pops and crackles" question... There shouldn't be any behavioral change in that sense because there is no change in programming. PSE software/logic is different vs stock.

As for the cold start question, I should have some info on that in a few days.
Old 01-17-2024, 12:46 PM
rr_gts
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Natural1
Yes, I did the core swap option. Cantrell had no 981 exhausts in stock so I ordered from Gert in Belgium, and surprisingly it was a bit less expensive.
It shipped Monday, and arrived at my local shop here in Georgia 2 days later on Wednesday. I'm dropping the car off today for scheduled maintenance and exhaust install.
Cheaper even factoring in shipping cost back to Belgium? Or does he send you shipping labels?
Old 01-17-2024, 12:58 PM
Natural1
Advanced

Originally Posted by rr_gts
Cheaper even factoring in shipping cost back to Belgium? Or does he send you shipping labels?
Correct - slightly less expensive (maybe $50) including shipping the core to Belgium. And yes, he will be sending me a label for return shipping.
I'm in Georgia. For someone closer to the west coast, Cantrell might be the slightly better value. Don't know.
The following users liked this post:
rr_gts (01-17-2024)
Old 01-17-2024, 07:20 PM
Ernest72
Racer

Received 184 Likes on 124 Posts

the custom exhaust I had that is similar to carnewal had pops and bangs, similar to the PSE I have on the car now. But I have no stock PSE programming, just the exhaust with open valves. And it sounds wonderful, but so does the carnewal. Can’t beat it for the dollar. Unless you can weld and then just do it by yourself.
Old 01-17-2024, 10:25 PM
Natural1
Advanced

Carnewal Exhaust Installed

Only 45 miles in so far, but 10 miles on the interstate and so far the 7th gear drone is definitely no worse than stock (might actually be better) and that's a huge result. Also, as best I can tell from inside the cabin, it's not obnoxious unless you want it to be. I'll post an update once I get over 100 miles on it. Will see if it changes. I'd be happy if it didn't.

Initial 45-mile update...
7th-gear highway drone: Definitely no worse, maybe slightly better
Good neighbor attributes: Not obnoxious puttering around town in normal mode
Sound: Better for sure. More aggressive in general. Louder on throttle with a really nice ramp-up, but certainly nothing crazy. Overall I'd call it "civilized aggression"
Crackles & pops: No change vs stock exhaust

XXX-mile update...
<coming soon>

One more thought regarding the drone... About 3 months ago I put the rubber trunk liner mat in the rear cargo compartment (from Suncoast), and that did reduce the drone. It was slight, no miracle, but definitely an improvement. If it were stolen tomorrow I'd buy it again. It actually has me wondering what would happen if I stuck some dynamat deadening material on the bottom of it. Anyway, that's another topic.

Will update again in another day or two.
The following 3 users liked this post by Natural1:
DeanClevername (01-22-2024), ElCid86 (01-18-2024), rr_gts (01-17-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 11:32 AM
ElCid86
Instructor

I don't think it is enough of a differance at low revs to wake anyone.

OE exhasut 981C:

Carnewal GT on 981C:

No pops and just the slightest gurgle when getting off the throttle in certain conditions. It sounds amazing.

Last edited by ElCid86; 01-18-2024 at 12:02 PM.
Ernest72 (01-18-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 11:57 AM
Le Petit Garage
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 643 Likes on 364 Posts

For anyone looking at exhaust products, we are running some forum discounts

PM me here or shoot me a note: alex@lepetitgarage.us

Contact me for the best pricing on Quality Parts
- alex@lepetitgarage.us

LePetitGarage.us // @_lepetitgarage on Instagram

Last edited by Le Petit Garage; 01-24-2024 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-19-2024, 11:11 PM
Jim981CS
Pro

Received 287 Likes on 183 Posts

Carnewal Exhaust Installed

One more thought regarding the drone... About 3 months ago I put the rubber trunk liner mat in the rear cargo compartment (from Suncoast), and that did reduce the drone. It was slight, no miracle, but definitely an improvement. If it were stolen tomorrow I'd buy it again. It actually has me wondering what would happen if I stuck some dynamat deadening material on the bottom of it. Anyway, that's another topic.

Will update again in another day or two.
I noticed some drone in my CS with PDK after I installed PSE and aFe catted headers when in 7th gear at low RPM. It was not drastic but it bothered my wife enough that she was not willing to take longer road trips due to the additional noise. I could avoid the drone by using a lower gear and switch off the PSE to quiet down the increased noise. I installed Dynamat on the trunk floor and wheel wells and overkilled it by also installing it on the entire top and front of the engine cover. I even installed it inside the doors when I upgraded the speakers. I then put DynaPad on top of the carpet in the trunk floor and covered it with the same rubber Suncoast mat that you described.

I did not take before and after sound readings but my wife no longer complains about drone even in 7th gear and the increased noise from the headers and new PSE. We can now listen to music and carry on a conversation and even take a phone call at normal voice levels. I am not sure which area of sound proofing netted the best results with the drone issue but I suspect it was the Dynamat on the trunk floor as it had a hollow drum sound when I tapped on it before installing the Dynamat. The DynaPad probably helped as it’s a heavy three layer sound control mat. YMMV but I am happy with the results and still enjoy the sound of the flat six especially with the PSE on and heavy on the throttle.
Jim

Dynamat on trunk floor and wheel wells

3/8” three layer foam DynaPad on top of carpet and under Porsche rubber mat

The following 6 users liked this post by Jim981CS:
carl s (03-02-2024), ElCid86 (01-22-2024), Ernest72 (01-20-2024), KBell (03-08-2024), Kevin CS (01-19-2024), Natural1 (01-19-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Natural1
Advanced

Interesting, thank you @Jim981CS !
Old 01-20-2024, 01:21 PM
Jim981CS
Pro

Received 287 Likes on 183 Posts

Interesting, thank you @Jim981CS !
To add to my post #41 above I also did a no cost “Cayman drone reduction “ mod that I ran across in an old post. The poster claimed that the hatch/glass resonates and transfers the drone into the cabin and adjusted the two rubber hatch bumpers “ in” to reduce the tightness of the hatch to reduce the resonance. I did this mod at the same time as the Dynamat and other mods so I can’t confirm which mod reduced the drone but it costs nothing and only takes a few seconds to play with the bumper adjustment. The drone in my CS with PDK and headers and also a stage 2 Cobb tune may be more severe than a stock CS, so maybe my mods may be be overkill for a more stock car.
Jim
Natural1 (01-20-2024)
Old 01-22-2024, 03:08 PM
DeanClevername
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Ernest72
Well, bought a used PSE off of eBay and installed it.
I've been trying to keep my eyes open for one, yo just have sniped that one when I wasn't looking 🤣

Congrats and enjoy!
Ernest72 (03-08-2024)
Old 01-22-2024, 04:37 PM
Ernest72
Racer

Received 184 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by DeanClevername
I've been trying to keep my eyes open for one, yo just have sniped that one when I wasn't looking 🤣

Congrats and enjoy!
yeah I jumped on it. I made an offer on another one and was rejected in November. I went away for thanksgiving and said I would pay the full price when I got back but it was gone. This one was cheaper so it worked out good for me. I was checking eBay 3-4 times a day. Good luck. You will find one soon enough. It is just how much people want for them knowing they are hard to come by. My dealer in NJ said they had maybe one for the whole year that they installed. I am just happy because my next move was the valved soul performance exhaust, so I saved a ton of money finding the PSE.
IndigoInkTaco (01-22-2024)

Quick Reply: 981 CS PDK - Carnewal vs PSE vs Stock (drone)