Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Sensor Locations & Pressure Fluctuation

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2023, 04:31 AM
Thejamesbr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Sensor Locations & Pressure Fluctuation

Hi everyone, first time posting so I hope this is the right place for this. I have done some research and haven't found much related to what I am looking for.
2015 981 cayman base, 60k miles

A couple weeks ago after two hours in stop and go traffic I heard a "whooshing" sound similar to a valve opening come from the engine compartment behind me. I noticed my oil temperature did not change, it had been running about 215F at the time, but my oil pressure began to fluctuate with acceleration. Normally it sits steady at about 20-30psi without much change but since then with acceleration it increases (25psi @ 2k, 40psi @ 4k, 50psi @ 5k)and when I let off it settles back down (15-20psi @ idle). Nothing has drawn too much concern since temps have been fine and pressure seems normal too what I have been seeing from a few other posts but the change from what I was used to has me racking my brain for what could have caused the change and if there is a fix I should be taking care of. Since then I have accessed the engine from the front to change the serpentine belt/pulleys and did not see any signs of leakage or anything out of the ordinary. No error codes or messages and the car seems to be running happily.

Any help locating oil pressure sensors, similar experiences, or thoughts on what might be the cause would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 11-07-2023, 09:26 AM
ICNU
Pro

Received 415 Likes on 249 Posts

Oil pressure is not static. The oil pressure goes up on ANY automobile along with load/RPM. Something would be terribly wrong with your car if it didn't, and the motor would eventually fail from oil starvation under high RPM loads. A general rule of thumb is typically around 10 psi for every 1K RPM or so as the RPM increases, exactly like the values you are describing. Idle is typically around 20-30 psi depending on oil temp at the time, so your description of what is happening is completely normal

Last edited by ICNU; 11-07-2023 at 09:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Schwinn (11-11-2023)
Old 11-07-2023, 02:12 PM
toma nova
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 244 Posts

On my way to work this morning:

Hot idle: 19psi
Steady speed at 1500rpms = 30 psi
Accelerating up to 3000rpms = ~45psi
Quick pass at 5000rpms = ~50+ psi

Last edited by toma nova; 11-07-2023 at 08:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Thejamesbr (11-07-2023)
Old 11-07-2023, 03:18 PM
Thejamesbr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ICNU
Oil pressure is not static. The oil pressure goes up on ANY automobile along with load/RPM. Something would be terribly wrong with your car if it didn't, and the motor would eventually fail from oil starvation under high RPM loads. A general rule of thumb is typically around 10 psi for every 1K RPM or so as the RPM increases, exactly like the values you are describing. Idle is typically around 20-30 psi depending on oil temp at the time, so your description of what is happening is completely normal
Appreciate the response. It seems like Porsche magic just made the sensor function more so how it is supposed to.

Quick Reply: Oil Sensor Locations & Pressure Fluctuation