Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Exhaust Installation

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2023, 05:57 PM
Thacker
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Stock Exhaust Installation

I have removed my stock exhaust for some modifications and am having trouble reinstalling.

I removed it as one big unit, unbolting from the cat flanges and then (painstakingly) removing the four bolts from the back of the PDK.

How best to reinstall? The whole unit at once or break it down into sections, install the bracket on the PDK, and then install the mufflers/tips?

Thank you.
Old 09-19-2023, 08:20 PM
Ernest72
Racer

Received 189 Likes on 127 Posts

Need another person or a small jack to hold the exhaust up. I take it off by removing just the exhaust and not the holder.
Old 09-19-2023, 08:21 PM
thecajunboy
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 327 Posts

I did that once with PSE for header/pipe gasket replacement and a polishing job. I managed to get it off in sections (each side) while leaving the bracket in place. Lots of cursing. I thought I could somehow get it back together with the bracket in place. More cursing. Easiest thing for least cursing seems to be fighting the bracket bolts at the rear of the gearbox.
Old 09-20-2023, 10:06 AM
rockhouse66
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

This is where the instructions would read "reinstallation is the reverse of removal". Yes, you need a jack or helper to support the muffler. I just did this a couple of months ago and my recollection is that it needs to go in with the muffler down pretty low, then swing up into place when you get the pipes in the general area. I got the pipes over the studs but didn't bolt them up until I had everything else reinstalled.
Old 09-20-2023, 10:14 AM
ElCid86
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

I was able to one-man-it but it was a challenge--had to use my legs/foot to maneuver part of it. Undoing the center clamp helped. Try to get the two holes onto the flange then move the rest around. GL.
Old 09-20-2023, 12:56 PM
thecajunboy
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 327 Posts

Factory service manual indicates that for single muffler removal, the support bracket can remain in place. For removal of both as an entire unit, the bracket needs to be removed. Of course installation is opposite. This is where I made my mistake. The bracket can be removed from the rear of the gearbox (aka fighting the four bolts), but the service manual removes the fasteners in illustration below. Items 1 and 2 are threaded into the bracket, Items 3 have backing nuts. Either way, additional manpower or jackstands/supports makes things mush easier.

The following 2 users liked this post by thecajunboy:
CaymanCarver (09-20-2023), ElCid86 (09-20-2023)
Old 09-20-2023, 03:06 PM
ElCid86
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by thecajunboy
Factory service manual indicates that for single muffler removal, the support bracket can remain in place. For removal of both as an entire unit, the bracket needs to be removed. Of course installation is opposite. This is where I made my mistake. The bracket can be removed from the rear of the gearbox (aka fighting the four bolts), but the service manual removes the fasteners in illustration below. Items 1 and 2 are threaded into the bracket, Items 3 have backing nuts. Either way, additional manpower or jackstands/supports makes things mush easier.
Good share. The 1 and 2 bolts will release it. I actually don't know that it's necessary but does give some "wiggle room".

Quick Reply: Stock Exhaust Installation