Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Control Fault

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2023, 09:27 PM
motogpfan82
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine Control Fault

Started my 981 CS yesterday and got an Engine Control Fault warning on my dash. Plugged in my iCarsoft and then my XTool D8 in today and pulled up a bunch of codes. I've read it could be the battery so some background I didn't drive the car during the winter but had it plugged into a CTEL battery maintainer most of the time, the battery did get down to almost dead a few times when I unplugged it and forgot to plug it back in. This week was the first week of nice weather so really first time driving since November and put just under 100 miles on it with no issue before the Engine Control Fault warning. The car was also state safety inspected by a local mom and pop shop so not sure if some there could have happened. Any ideas on what the issue could be? Listed below are a list of codes found along with any info.

XTool D8 Code Results:
P0456 DME (ECM) Tank systems fine leak,
803408 Font End Electronics (BCM1) Actuator Cover Front Implausible
A222 Combination Meter (IPC) Warning Check Oil Level Max (Over filled Oil during first change last year, only drove 20 miles before draining excess, reset oil warning light after and put maybe another 1000miles on the car with no oil lights, oil at time of scan was 3 bars below max)
A221 Combination Meter (IPC) Warning Doors Open or Front Lid Open When Driving (Frunk was closed all the way once maybe a year ago, closed when scan ran)
A016 Combination Meter (IPC) Warning Check Engine (153)
21 Parking Break (ABS) EPB-DAR Control Unit Not Available
0843 Drivers Side Door (DOOR-DR) Central Locking Closed Unit, Unreliable Signal (When car was first purchased 2 years ago the driver side door would shake, took me a few months to figure out the two bolts on the metal latch part on the inside part of the door was loose, tightened and no issues)

iCarsoft Code Results:
P0456 EVAP System Leak Detected (Very Small Leak)

Old 04-22-2023, 10:15 PM
chase15
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 80 Posts

P0456 EVAP System Leak Detected (Very Small Leak)
Check gas cap. maybe it's not tightened properly. If it is lose, it'll throw CEL.

Last edited by chase15; 04-22-2023 at 10:17 PM.
Old 04-22-2023, 10:32 PM
motogpfan82
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chase15
Check gas cap. maybe it's not tightened properly. If it is lose, it'll throw CEL.
I had that code last year and replaced the gas cap with a new one and cleared the code. When that appeared on the dash it showed up as EVAP System warning, not a Engine Control Fault warning.

Quick Reply: Engine Control Fault