Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PIWIS: PTV activation/deactivation

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2023, 02:52 PM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

Received 613 Likes on 224 Posts

I had previously mentioned that I would be looking into installing an aftermarket differential at some point this winter season. I am now more on the fence of whether this is a good idea for my situation. Since living with the PTV setting enabled I have felt less and less of the need for a mechanical LSD. I think the braking of the inside wheel has more of a positive impact when accelerating out of corners than I had originally given it credit for. With my driving habits (daily driving with weekend excursions to twisty roads) it is exceedingly rare that I feel like the absence of a locking diff slows me down. YMMV depending on how you use your car and your driving style.

Another factor I have to keep in mind is that my car has 105k spirited miles on the clock. As solid as the PDK has proven to be, I am apprehensive about installing new (and expensive) parts onto an older transmission. I have recently discovered that Porsche sells tons of variants of remanufactured PDK boxes. You can order a PDK from a 2.7L 981 w/ the PTV optioned (9G2-300-021-AX), which fits directly into the 3.4L chassis. This is not a cheap option but it would be significantly cheaper than transplanting an aftermarket LSD onto a new transaxle if/when my older PDK fails. Going down this path would give you:
- OEM clutch-style LSD
- Marginally shorter gearing (~3%)
- A new/remanned clutch
- Limited factory warranty (12 months)

So I think for now I will be biding my time and if my PDK box ever gives me any trouble I will replace it with a remanned box w/ a factory LSD. I want to shout out @BGB Motorsports for the above information regarding remanufactured PDK boxes. They have long been a pioneer for the 981 platform and have been great about answering my questions over the years. Would highly recommend contacting them for your 981 Cayman/Boxster needs!

Last edited by nhnguy12; 11-03-2023 at 03:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jim981CS (11-03-2023)
Old 11-07-2023, 02:47 PM
TDS
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

PTV is doing the work on the way into the corner as you turn in, the LSD which you don't have fitted would be doing the work on the way out.

PTV plus isn't available on the 981, only PTV. I'd like the lsd on mine for fun but I've never felt it was a necessity as traction out of the corner is seldom an issue with this chassis.
awasb (11-07-2023)
Old 12-31-2023, 10:59 AM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 128 Posts

and just to clarify as it should be obvious but wasnt to me, this is under the initial PASM main menu item

Last edited by Richard.; 12-31-2023 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-31-2023, 11:00 AM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by awasb
Unit „PSM_a2“ -> „Funktionscodierung: Codierbyte 2 PTV: Porsche Torque Vectoring“ -> original value: „aus“ (as shown in pic) to new value: „ein“.

this is what I meant sorry, under PASM main menu

Last edited by Richard.; 12-31-2023 at 11:46 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-01-2024, 08:21 PM
Nip are
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by nhnguy12
Another useful piece of literature outlining all the electronic systems in play. Worth noting that several systems here besides PTV are at least partially responsible for adding heat into the rear brakes with hard track use.

Also worth noting that even Porsches with open diffs come with automatic brake differential (ABD). That would explain why a lot drivers don't miss the presence of a mechanical diff in the majority of use cases. McLaren uses a similar brake-based system with an open diff even in their flagship cars.
Great info here. ABD aka BLD brake lock differential has been around for a long time and is used on jeeps and other off roaders to simulate an LSD. Depending on how hard you drive ABD probably has more impact on brake wear than PTV.

Many thanks to the OP for testing and posting PTV results on his car. I also appreciate the comments on turn in feel compared to more nimble cars like Miatas. I had a modded ND1 before my BS and do miss the quick turn in. But in my case I think it has more to do with front end geometry and tires.

Last edited by Nip are; 01-01-2024 at 08:22 PM.
nhnguy12 (01-01-2024)

Quick Reply: PIWIS: PTV activation/deactivation