Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Get a PPI?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2023, 10:31 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by okie981
I'm pretty sure no Porsche dealership will do a PPI. Must go to an indy shop that's very familiar with the Porsche model you are considering. Porsche dealers will do an over-rev report using PIWIS, but I've not found one yet that will do a PPI.
Originally Posted by Lady Silver
Please read P#10
Yep, Porsche dealerships will definitely do a PPI...You may have to wait in line with every other service appointment, but they'll do it...I've had three done at two separate dealerships.
The following users liked this post:
Schwinn (04-09-2023)
Old 04-09-2023, 10:29 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 422 Posts

Please read P#10
Just to add mince to the pie.

I bought my 911 from a dealer out of state without CPO, brought her home and immediately took her to the local dealer and had them do a PPI. They did a thorough and professional job, producing a 6 page report. They did find a few minor issues.

We bought my wife's Boxster from a Porsche dealer with CPO. In order to qualify the car for CPO the dealer is obligated to perform what amounts to a PPI. I asked for the report and they promptly produced it. The PPI identified about $1000 in odds and ends that the techs found. All done in complete honesty and professionalism.

I see much dealer knocking on this board but my experience is quite different.

YMMV
Rick
Originally Posted by TMc993
Yep, Porsche dealerships will definitely do a PPI...You may have to wait in line with every other service appointment, but they'll do it...I've had three done at two separate dealerships.
Ok then, obviously this varies around the US. In DFW metro where there are at least 4 Porsche dealerships, zero of them will do PPI. In Nashville, the one Porsche dealer will not do a PPI. In Tulsa OK, the one Porsche dealer will not do PPI. I sensed a trend.
Old 04-09-2023, 12:48 PM
Lady Silver
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by okie981
Ok then, obviously this varies around the US. In DFW metro where there are at least 4 Porsche dealerships, zero of them will do PPI. In Nashville, the one Porsche dealer will not do a PPI. In Tulsa OK, the one Porsche dealer will not do PPI. I sensed a trend.
Errr.....doesn't it kinda beg the question that maybe the car presented wasn't to their liking...?
Old 04-09-2023, 01:17 PM
thecajunboy
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 325 Posts

FWIW, a PPI by a CPO Porsche Dealer would be sort of a conflict of interest. This is why you commonly hear "independent" in front of "PPI".
Old 04-09-2023, 02:29 PM
Lady Silver
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by thecajunboy
FWIW, a PPI by a CPO Porsche Dealer would be sort of a conflict of interest. This is why you commonly hear "independent" in front of "PPI".
I believe once a car is admitted to CPO, any needed warranty work cost is picked up by Porsche at no expense to the dealer. Also, to be admitted to CPO the car must undergo what amounts to a PPI, and there is paperwork available to prospective buyers.
Old 04-09-2023, 02:53 PM
thecajunboy
Rennlist Member

I believe once a car is admitted to CPO, any needed warranty work cost is picked up by Porsche at no expense to the dealer. Also, to be admitted to CPO the car must undergo what amounts to a PPI, and there is paperwork available to prospective buyers.
Not exactly. The CPO inspection covers lots of stuff, but don't mistake for an independent PPI. And of course all PPIs will vary along with the experience level of the person performing them and their familiarity with each particular model. Anecdotal for sure, but my CPO has evidence of a front bumper respray that was not disclosed. My PPF installer caught it. Would it have made a difference in this case? No, but an example of something that a CPO warranty wouldn't cover.
Old 04-09-2023, 03:15 PM
hiroshikato1
Racer

Received 325 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by thecajunboy
Not exactly. The CPO inspection covers lots of stuff, but don't mistake for an independent PPI. And of course all PPIs will vary along with the experience level of the person performing them and their familiarity with each particular model. Anecdotal for sure, but my CPO has evidence of a front bumper respray that was not disclosed. My PPF installer caught it. Would it have made a difference in this case? No, but an example of something that a CPO warranty wouldn't cover.
Even a PPI might not have caught a front end respray. I always get a PPI if I am buying a used car that isn't a CPO but as many have said, a CPO basically has a PPI built into the equation. That being said, a car that is 1 1/2 years into a two year CPO is not the same as a CPO'ed car from the dealership as a newly CPO'ed vehicle will now have a two year warranty.
Cosmetic issues are not covered by a CPO, to my recollection but whether a CPO car or a car that has an independent PPI done the note of a respray can and should be used to negotiate price.
All of that being said, I recently purchased a 2016 Boxster Spyder with less than 7500 miles. The car had an expired CPO and the last two years have been serviced by a very reputable mechanic in the area who told me the car was a keeper, thus no PPI. We shall see what happens...
Old 04-09-2023, 03:43 PM
thecajunboy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hiroshikato1
Even a PPI might not have caught a front end respray
Agreed, since a bumper being non-metallic could be tough since (as I understand it) a paint thickness gauge won't work there, but in my case a visual run in the paint at the far underside is easy to find. Maybe since it is black, and harder to see, but a good PPI would point it out.

Good luck with yours. My warranty paid for itself with repairs to a failure of the auto headlight on function, sagging headliner, and an active drivetrain mount. Unfortunately the opposing drivetrain mount failed just outside of CPO warranty. If you don't have Sport Chrono, there is no worry on the active drivetrain mounts which are problematic across all models they are used on.
Old 04-10-2023, 09:49 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 422 Posts

Errr.....doesn't it kinda beg the question that maybe the car presented wasn't to their liking...?
For DFW, it was my GT4, had 3,000 miles on it, was less than a year old, never tracked. I was selling it and shopping for a PPI at a DFW dealership for a potential buyer.

For Tulsa, it was for a 981 Cayman, helping a friend who was trying to buy.

For Nashville, it was a for a Cayenne, helping a friend who was trying to buy.

It was simply "their policy" they did not do PPI.
Old 04-10-2023, 10:14 AM
hiroshikato1
Racer

Received 325 Likes on 174 Posts
Default PPI

I forgot to mention that I have had three different Porsche dealerships and four independent shops run PPI’s for me. As someone else mentioned, there could be an issue with running a PPI at a dealership with a CPO’ed car. In terms of dealerships doing a PPI, all of my local dealerships will do one, if you pay for it…