Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Distant Comfort

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2023, 10:57 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 941 Likes on 572 Posts

Do it. My wife and did nearly 3K miles in a week a few years ago, driving from PHX to DEN, doing a 4 day Peak to Peak rallye through the Rockies, and then a drive back to Scottsdale in our 981 spyder with LWB's. She complained more about the fire extinguisher hitting her feet so I put it in the front trunk... I'm also retired so we're not spring chickens...
Old 03-26-2023, 12:51 AM
Zahmed
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TheHueg
The wife and I are scheduled to drive to Phoenix from San Antonio in early May. I would love to take our 2016 Cayman (Base) and allow it to, as my German colleagues say, “breathe”, out on the open road. She says “it’s too loud” even though it’s stock. She’d rather take our 2019 RAM 1500 Limited or her Mercedes-Benz SUV. I’m looking for experience with long-distance trips with these cars to know if they’re not only comfortable, but enjoyable for road trips? TIA.
It’s a losing proposition. The Cayman is fantastic for the driver but it’s simply not going to be as comfortable as your other two cars simply because getting in and out is easier in those other cars. Don’t be selfish, take the SUV, let her drive.
The following users liked this post:
Kevin CS (03-26-2023)
Old 03-26-2023, 06:22 PM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by TheHueg
The wife and I are scheduled to drive to Phoenix from San Antonio in early May. I would love to take our 2016 Cayman (Base) and allow it to, as my German colleagues say, “breathe”, out on the open road. She says “it’s too loud” even though it’s stock. She’d rather take our 2019 RAM 1500 Limited or her Mercedes-Benz SUV. I’m looking for experience with long-distance trips with these cars to know if they’re not only comfortable, but enjoyable for road trips? TIA.
I bought the Boxster GTS from Scottsdale than flew down to drive home to MN a few years back. Great highway vehicle, very comfortable and not too noisy. I understand the caymans are a little louder inside. We drove the 1800 miles in 3 days. The 18 ways are fantastic for long drives. Changing over to Michelins from the PZeros has reduce the road noise.

I have driven I10 from San Antonio to Tucson several times, in the Cayenne, and it’s a great highway to run at higher speeds while in Texas. NM and AZ are a little more sensitive to the speed limit. Take the cayman and get off on some 2 lane highways, you’ll both be happy you did.

Quick Reply: Long Distant Comfort