Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Upgraded" Steering Feel?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2023, 09:15 PM
chase15
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 81 Posts

This is interesting. Thanks for the trying it out and giving your feedback. I'll give this a shot once the weather gets better in the my area. I'll try to do back to back driving with stock calibration and the GT3 one.
The following 2 users liked this post by chase15:
nhnguy12 (03-09-2023), Turboale (03-14-2023)
Old 03-10-2023, 12:46 AM
CaptainSlowly
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by nhnguy12
The time it takes to do the coding once the car is hooked up is less than 5 minutes. So hopefully you'd find an indy that won't try to charge you for more than 30 minutes of their time.

On a related side-note, if anyone is in the Phoenix, AZ area that wants me to code their EPS module just let me know!
I have a PIWIS but have been putting off playing with some settings since I only have a trickle charger. Are you saying that the entire coding process only take 5 minutes to complete? Seems like I should be okay then (new battery)
Old 03-10-2023, 01:02 AM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

Received 653 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainSlowly
I have a PIWIS but have been putting off playing with some settings since I only have a trickle charger. Are you saying that the entire coding process only take 5 minutes to complete? Seems like I should be okay then (new battery)
Since I was only coding a single module for less than 5 minutes I didn't use a charger while doing this EPS update. I use a charger for bigger tasks like retrofitting Sports Plus mode, which requires coding adaptations for all the modules.
The following 2 users liked this post by nhnguy12:
CaptainSlowly (03-10-2023), Klwise (11-26-2023)
Old 03-10-2023, 08:57 AM
ICNU
Pro

Received 424 Likes on 253 Posts

Im surprised Porsche hasn't monetized this yet with another ridiculously priced option to change the steering modes on the fly. The Ford Mustang for example, has three different steering feel settings you can toggle through similar to the various throttle mapping/sport modes we are all familiar with

Last edited by ICNU; 03-10-2023 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-10-2023, 12:40 PM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ICNU
Im surprised Porsche hasn't monetized this yet with another ridiculously priced option to change the steering modes on the fly. The Ford Mustang for example, has three different steering feel settings you can toggle through similar to the various throttle mapping/sport modes we are all familiar with
My guess is that Porsche knew that they didn't get the EPS calibration quite right with the initial launch 991.1 C2S. But at the same time they didn't want to **** off the early-adopters by publicly announcing changes to later model years (e.g. refresh of Mk5 Supra after just one model year). Based off the drop-down menu in PIWIS it seems like Porsche had been quietly improving/updating the EPS calibration with subsequent cars based off the same platform (991.1 C4/S, 981, 991.1 GT3).
The following 3 users liked this post by nhnguy12:
ICNU (03-10-2023), Kaybat (03-11-2023), Mike981S (02-12-2024)
Old 03-12-2023, 12:40 PM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

Would love to try this out just not sure of anywhere I could get it done.
Old 03-12-2023, 01:32 PM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

Finally got the chance to take the car out to my favorite local road. Thought I’d provide a more comprehensive update after getting some more mileage in both daily and sporty driving conditions. I also thought I’d provide some extra background to provide some context for my observations.

The car:
2014 PDK Cayman S w/ 89k miles (~65k added by me)
Ohlins R/T coilovers (60/70 N/mm, 14 clicks from full stiff out of 20 adjustments)
X73 981 Boxster rear sway bar (981-333-703-14)
“Aggressive street” alignment (-1.5/1.8 camber, factory toe F/R)
Wevo SS transmission mounts
Sports Plus Mode (programmed with PIWIS 2)
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires (~50% treadlife remaining)

The road:
Apache Trail (AZ 88)
An amazing road leading to nowhere with almost every type of corner imaginable. I typically try to arrive at first light to avoid any traffic from hikers/bikers:

The driver:
I would describe myself as a road trip and backroad enthusiast. My favorite way to enjoy the car is driving 6 or 7 tenths on scenic mountain roads. I am a complete novice when it comes to any sort of competitive-style driving.

The impressions:
As I mentioned in my early impressions, the first thing I noticed was the lighter off-center feel. I wanted to elaborate a bit more on this. Its not just simply a reduction in initial steering effort but it seems like there is overall less inertia in the steering than before. The wheel seems to be more eager to return on-center than before. The best way I can describe it is that the steering wheel feels more “springy” and less damped now. This gives the impression of more responsive steering that takes a little getting used to but is a welcome change for me.

I also initially thought that there was no change in road texture at the wheel. After driving on some familiar roads I do actually think I am getting additional information about the road surface. I would say the magnitude of any pulsations through the wheel is roughly the same as before. But since the off-center feel is lighter and less damped I think the feel is more “transparent” now if that makes any sense. Overall it is a more subtle change and I think would come down to a matter of personal preference. I’d have to drive back to back with a hydraulic rack to really know which I’d prefer.

The standout highlight for me is still how the steering wheel weights up as you load up the front axles. It is SO much more apparent than before. I would say that this aspect of the steering improves even more the harder you push the car, which is the opposite of what happened with the stock calibration. Special mention to fast sweepers and decreasing radius corners, where you can really feel the steering progressively load up. Quick transitions from right-to-left are also super satisfying as you can really feel the wheel go from loaded to unloaded and back to loaded. I would say this improvement alone is worth the price of admission (AKA buying a PIWIS 2 clone for ~500 bucks if you don’t already have one).

The conclusion:
I don’t think I have any reasons that I’d want to go back to the stock calibration. As I’ve mentioned before, the stock steering feel is not something that really bothered me, but the updated GT3 calibration is simply better. I would say steering feel was something I never really thought about in either a positive or negative way when driving my car. With the updated GT3 calibration the steering feel is now actively adding to the enjoyment of driving. I would highly recommend to find a way to try this out on your own cars and am curious to hear feedback from drivers with different levels of experience/skill.

Last edited by nhnguy12; 03-12-2023 at 01:41 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by nhnguy12:
AdrGTS (03-13-2023), dkfx (09-29-2023), Kaybat (03-25-2023), LimeyBoy (03-17-2023), ohmyggg (03-24-2023)
Old 03-13-2023, 09:48 AM
chase15
Rennlist Member

Loaded up the GT3 steering calibration last night. Upon testing it on my drive to work today, right away I noticed how light it is compare to stock one. I'd say 30%-40% difference aswell. I'll take it to the backroads this weekend and see if I'll have the same experience as you did. I will try to do in different modes aswell.
The following users liked this post:
nhnguy12 (03-13-2023)
Old 03-13-2023, 11:37 AM
AdrGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 39 Posts

Finally got the chance to take the car out to my favorite local road. Thought I’d provide a more comprehensive update after getting some more mileage in both daily and sporty driving conditions. I also thought I’d provide some extra background to provide some context for my observations.

The car:
2014 PDK Cayman S w/ 89k miles (~65k added by me)
Ohlins R/T coilovers (60/70 N/mm, 14 clicks from full stiff out of 20 adjustments)
X73 981 Boxster rear sway bar (981-333-703-14)
“Aggressive street” alignment (-1.5/1.8 camber, factory toe F/R)
Wevo SS transmission mounts
Sports Plus Mode (programmed with PIWIS 2)
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires (~50% treadlife remaining)

The road:
Apache Trail (AZ 88)
An amazing road leading to nowhere with almost every type of corner imaginable. I typically try to arrive at first light to avoid any traffic from hikers/bikers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gRIyyMr1KE

The driver:
I would describe myself as a road trip and backroad enthusiast. My favorite way to enjoy the car is driving 6 or 7 tenths on scenic mountain roads. I am a complete novice when it comes to any sort of competitive-style driving.

The impressions:
As I mentioned in my early impressions, the first thing I noticed was the lighter off-center feel. I wanted to elaborate a bit more on this. Its not just simply a reduction in initial steering effort but it seems like there is overall less inertia in the steering than before. The wheel seems to be more eager to return on-center than before. The best way I can describe it is that the steering wheel feels more “springy” and less damped now. This gives the impression of more responsive steering that takes a little getting used to but is a welcome change for me.

I also initially thought that there was no change in road texture at the wheel. After driving on some familiar roads I do actually think I am getting additional information about the road surface. I would say the magnitude of any pulsations through the wheel is roughly the same as before. But since the off-center feel is lighter and less damped I think the feel is more “transparent” now if that makes any sense. Overall it is a more subtle change and I think would come down to a matter of personal preference. I’d have to drive back to back with a hydraulic rack to really know which I’d prefer.

The standout highlight for me is still how the steering wheel weights up as you load up the front axles. It is SO much more apparent than before. I would say that this aspect of the steering improves even more the harder you push the car, which is the opposite of what happened with the stock calibration. Special mention to fast sweepers and decreasing radius corners, where you can really feel the steering progressively load up. Quick transitions from right-to-left are also super satisfying as you can really feel the wheel go from loaded to unloaded and back to loaded. I would say this improvement alone is worth the price of admission (AKA buying a PIWIS 2 clone for ~500 bucks if you don’t already have one).

The conclusion:
I don’t think I have any reasons that I’d want to go back to the stock calibration. As I’ve mentioned before, the stock steering feel is not something that really bothered me, but the updated GT3 calibration is simply better. I would say steering feel was something I never really thought about in either a positive or negative way when driving my car. With the updated GT3 calibration the steering feel is now actively adding to the enjoyment of driving. I would highly recommend to find a way to try this out on your own cars and am curious to hear feedback from drivers with different levels of experience/skill.

Thanks for the additional write up. Now to find PIWIS. Too bad I don't still live in PHX. I drove HWY88 many times when I lived out there. As I stated previously, your feedback is spot on to how I described the GT3 steering from my experience. The lightness made the car feel quicker and more eager to turn. The way it would weight up especially in quick transitions I found very enjoyable and more fun than in my Cayman.

Last edited by AdrGTS; 03-13-2023 at 11:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
nhnguy12 (03-13-2023)
Old 03-13-2023, 12:40 PM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AdrGTS
Thanks for the additional write up. Now to find PIWIS. Too bad I don't still live in PHX. I drove HWY88 many times when I lived out there. As I stated previously, your feedback is spot on to how I described the GT3 steering from my experience. The lightness made the car feel quicker and more eager to turn. The way it would weight up especially in quick transitions I found very enjoyable and more fun than in my Cayman.
Too bad you're not in the PHX area anymore. It would take me 5 minutes to code your car now that I know how to do it. If you're looking to purchase a clone for yourself the VXDAS hardware has been working pretty well for me so far.
Old 03-13-2023, 10:43 PM
chase15
Rennlist Member

The impressions:

So I took it out for a longer drive after work today. As I also initially said, the "lightness" of the steering wheel is very noticeable and it was kind of a learning process at the beginning as I am used to the "heavier" feel of the steering wheel. I daily drive my Cayman and it was a huge difference for me. I did liked how it felt especially when turning at low speed. Turning at low speeds requires so much less effort now compare to stock calibration. If you actually try pulling the wheel about 10-15 degrees, it would go back to center by itself. That's how I find it "springy". I can't remember if the stock calibration did that. The way I can describe it is there are two magnets attached at the bottom of the steering wheel and the other one is on the column pulling it back to the center when it goes off-center. As for the road texture feel, I thought I felt a bit more especially at lower speed. I think the road bumps and the unevenness of it comes through the steering wheel more distinctly. I'll have to drive it more and try to get used to it. So far, as a daily driven car, I am liking the "upgraded" feel of it.

Last edited by chase15; 03-13-2023 at 10:44 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by chase15:
Cayman Ed (08-16-2023), FINZ (03-15-2023), nhnguy12 (03-13-2023)
Old 03-13-2023, 11:08 PM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chase15
If you actually try pulling the wheel about 10-15 degrees, it would go back to center by itself. That's how I find it "springy". I can't remember if the stock calibration did that.
Yes I felt the stock calibration took much longer to return on center if you release the wheel. This is what I meant when I said I felt there was less inertia in the steering now.

I'm glad you're enjoying it too. Hope you get to drive it more quickly sometime soon!
Old 03-14-2023, 07:58 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

Is this an expensive solution to do on your own? Just trying to figure out a way I can get this done. Not entirely sure what would be required for me to code the vehicle
Old 03-14-2023, 09:13 AM
dav9515
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 59 Posts

It almost sounds like the "power steering plus" option is being unlocked here. That was supposed to add lightness and less effort at slow speeds then adjust/firm up as the speed and nature of driving increased. It makes sense since any dealer can do it that someone with the programmer can do it themselves. Pretty cool free mod!
Old 03-14-2023, 09:19 AM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarAholic
Is this an expensive solution to do on your own? Just trying to figure out a way I can get this done. Not entirely sure what would be required for me to code the vehicle
This is the hardware I used to plug into the car:
https://www.vxdas.com/products/porsc...40349251371090

You can run it with any modern windows laptop if you install a virtual machine. Takes about an hour to set up if you've never done it before.

Originally Posted by dav9515
It almost sounds like the "power steering plus" option is being unlocked here. That was supposed to add lightness and less effort at slow speeds then adjust/firm up as the speed and nature of driving increased. It makes sense since any dealer can do it that someone with the programmer can do it themselves. Pretty cool free mod!
Definitely not power steering plus. That only changes how much assistance is provided at parking lot speeds and has no impact on steering at speed. My car already came optioned with that. This is a totally different calibration.

Quick Reply: "Upgraded" Steering Feel?