Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Maintenance Items Would You Do On 70K Mile CS With No History?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2023, 09:01 PM
motogpfan82
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What Maintenance Items Would You Do On 70K Mile CS With No History?

Hi All,

Christmas 2021 bought a 981 CS with PDK that had 62k miles on it from a Nissan dealership, car runs great is rust free but had no maintenance history. Once I had it, I changed the oil as well as the engine and cabin air filters, oil was just one bar above min when I changed it so not the best sign but oil looked fine. I drove it all year it has had no issues, it now has 69k mile on the clock but while I have it garaged this winter I figured I'd do a bunch of maintenance to it since I have no idea what has or hasn't been done.

Here is what I'm planning, please add any suggestions.

Oil and filter
Spark plugs
Ignition coils
Drive belt
Water pump and gasket, do I need to get composite impeller?
Thermostat and gasket, do I need to replace housing?
Add center radiator
PDK Oil and pan
Brakes
Air oil separator?

Also how do I know what bolts are reusable, do I need a new pully for the water pump, what about drive pully or tensioner? Any good resources on manuals with torque specs and stuff, I don't mind paying. Haynes doesn't make a Porsche 981 manuals and I haven't found any online.
Thanks.
Old 02-08-2023, 09:22 PM
ElCid86
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Good list. I'd do the pullies and tensioners while you are in there at that mileage. You might could skip the PDK pan and do it a bit later with another fluid swap to be closer to having it all replaced. I'd do both the clutch fluid and gear oil (both sides of the PDK). See Jeff's helpful videos and lots of posts here and on Planet9,
The following users liked this post:
motogpfan82 (02-08-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 09:51 PM
motogpfan82
Track Day

Thanks for the info, I'll definitely add gear oil to the list.
Old 02-09-2023, 07:54 AM
vartech
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by motogpfan82
Hi All,

Christmas 2021 bought a 981 CS with PDK that had 62k miles on it from a Nissan dealership, car runs great is rust free but had no maintenance history. Once I had it, I changed the oil as well as the engine and cabin air filters, oil was just one bar above min when I changed it so not the best sign but oil looked fine. I drove it all year it has had no issues, it now has 69k mile on the clock but while I have it garaged this winter I figured I'd do a bunch of maintenance to it since I have no idea what has or hasn't been done.

Here is what I'm planning, please add any suggestions.

Oil and filter
Spark plugs
Ignition coils
Drive belt
Water pump and gasket, do I need to get composite impeller?
Thermostat and gasket, do I need to replace housing?
Add center radiator
PDK Oil and pan
Brakes
Air oil separator?

Also how do I know what bolts are reusable, do I need a new pully for the water pump, what about drive pully or tensioner? Any good resources on manuals with torque specs and stuff, I don't mind paying. Haynes doesn't make a Porsche 981 manuals and I haven't found any online.
Thanks.
I was in the same boat with my 14 981s. I did the coils,plugs,belt,brake fluid, both Pdk fluids,filters,oil and x73 suspension the first year.
motogpfan82 (02-11-2023)
Old 02-09-2023, 07:41 PM
Titanium5150
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

List looks good, although not so sure I would do the water pump and AOS unless there were signs they were failing.

These both seem to last longer on the 981 than on previous years.
motogpfan82 (02-11-2023)
Old 02-11-2023, 02:44 AM
motogpfan82
Track Day

Originally Posted by vartech
I was in the same boat with my 14 981s. I did the coils,plugs,belt,brake fluid, both Pdk fluids,filters,oil and x73 suspension the first year.
How do you like the X73 suspension? While I'm doing all of this I also have headers, a Fabspeed valved exhaust and the X73 rear sway bar I'm installing. Debating if I should go with the rest of the X73 setup or the X73 rear sway bar with some Ohlins R&T's and a 991 GT3 front bar with links. Not sure if all that is 4x the price of the X73 through.
Old 02-11-2023, 02:48 AM
motogpfan82
Track Day

Originally Posted by Titanium5150
List looks good, although not so sure I would do the water pump and AOS unless there were signs they were failing.

These both seem to last longer on the 981 than on previous years.
Yeah, I know it's a bit excessive but I'd rather just get it all out of the way now that I have the time. I'm going to be doing 2-3 track days this year and more the following years, better to be preemptive now and spend a few hundred instead of risk a few or tens of thousands later.
Titanium5150 (02-12-2023)
Old 02-11-2023, 10:51 AM
vartech
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by motogpfan82
How do you like the X73 suspension? While I'm doing all of this I also have headers, a Fabspeed valved exhaust and the X73 rear sway bar I'm installing. Debating if I should go with the rest of the X73 setup or the X73 rear sway bar with some Ohlins R&T's and a 991 GT3 front bar with links. Not sure if all that is 4x the price of the X73 through.
love. the lower look and handling. Ride is fine for roads in upstate New York.
motogpfan82 (02-13-2023)
Old 02-11-2023, 09:45 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 477 Likes on 347 Posts

911 coil pack heat shields, engine air filters, cabin filter, adjustable LCAs for negative front camber, 18 in wheels for track with track tires, Sebro slotted rotors, brake pads and fluid. No indication 981 water pumps need to be preemptively replaced nor AOS. Pricey but GT4 front bumper with its third radiator which vents vertically for better cooling. Check out FCPEuro Lifetime Warranty
motogpfan82 (02-13-2023)
Old 02-13-2023, 02:03 AM
motogpfan82
Track Day

Originally Posted by Kitc2246
911 coil pack heat shields, engine air filters, cabin filter, adjustable LCAs for negative front camber, 18 in wheels for track with track tires, Sebro slotted rotors, brake pads and fluid. No indication 981 water pumps need to be preemptively replaced nor AOS. Pricey but GT4 front bumper with its third radiator which vents vertically for better cooling. Check out FCPEuro Lifetime Warranty
Good call on the heat shield. Yeah, my front has a ton of rock chips, was going to respray but figured might as well do the GT4 front bumper if I'm going to have to paint anyways, any idea why one on carparts.com is only $600ish and one from like flat6 is $3k? Recommendations on who makes good LCAs, only front lowers, or all around? Did the engine and cabin filters a month before I garaged it, adding the center radiator when I do the water pump and other cooling system components, I know the pump and AOS aren't need but a few hundred and I'll be working on the cooling anyways so why not. Besides this gets me away from the girlfriend and cats .
Old 02-13-2023, 11:04 AM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 477 Likes on 347 Posts

Little knowledge on GT 4 bumpers. I think there are different materials. Find threads who have done or ask in new thread. Third radiator is different plus a few brackets. Still have to paint match. Think I bought TRW LCAs. Check FCPEuro, Pelican Parts, Elephant and LN. Only front. Believe rear gives -2 without mods.

Quick Reply: What Maintenance Items Would You Do On 70K Mile CS With No History?