Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

COMPLETELY disable PSM and Traction Control?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2023, 12:10 PM
Squeaky
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

My PSM doesn’t come back on after I switch it off. My PTV, however, stays on.
Old 12-26-2023, 11:08 AM
SBD
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does not have PTV. Has anyone tried the following? Have you tried running with both levels of TC turned off (press and hold the PSM button for a few seconds)? That will disable both stability control and traction control.
. My car is in the shop with the somewhat isolated issue with phaser timing chain and the 4 sprocket bolts sheared. Porsche switched to aluminum- and they can work their way out. Folks are replacing with steel as preemptive fix. A weak link in an otherwise excellent engine.
Old 01-20-2024, 05:33 PM
Jim986
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 61 Posts

Get a 986. It’s all me, no help from computers. Ha ha
The following users liked this post:
Van914 (01-22-2024)
Old 01-26-2024, 01:11 PM
Slowinslowout
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Just want to share my experience during a skidpad training session.

With everything turned off, as I tried to power oversteer to initiate a slide, one out of 3-4 times, the car did something on its own and caused front tire understeer instead of rear tire oversteer. So I think with PASM off, under certain circumstances the computer still intervenes.

The good news is so far the computer hasn’t interrupted when I pushed the car on a road course with nanies off.
Old 01-26-2024, 07:39 PM
dps214
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowinslowout
Just want to share my experience during a skidpad training session.

With everything turned off, as I tried to power oversteer to initiate a slide, one out of 3-4 times, the car did something on its own and caused front tire understeer instead of rear tire oversteer. So I think with PASM off, under certain circumstances the computer still intervenes.

The good news is so far the computer hasn’t interrupted when I pushed the car on a road course with nanies off.
You mean PSM, right? You're correct, I don't know the exact mechanism but it does appear that if you try to do something truly stupid (by the tuners' judgement anyway) the car will still take some small action. In my experience it seems to be largely situations that would lead to big time single wheel spin or an obvious spin. I've never really *felt* anything happening, just see the light flash for a second, but I've also never gone crazy trying to force it. I've never had the car do anything weird across any "normal" autocross or track driving, across a few couple of different cars with significantly different equioment configurations.

Quick Reply: COMPLETELY disable PSM and Traction Control?