Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mostly non-functional radio / infotainment PCM system...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2024, 11:49 PM
JPPoulin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lagunatich
Update on my wet amp issue:
I took the 981 to a local shop specializing in Porsche / Mercedes / BMW audio systems. Diagnostics said the "rebuilt" amp was bad, not communicating with the PCM. Installed a new amp from Porsche (wholesale discount, thank you), and all is good. $1700, but could have been worse. Very happy with the shop: Rocco's in Costa Mesa CA.
Thanks for the update. So to recap, before this repair you experienced the symptoms in the original post and after the repair all these symptoms are gone?

If so then replacing the module under the passenger seat will probably fix my issues as well...
Old 03-29-2024, 12:22 AM
lagunatich
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes. The independent shop I went to did the diagnostics before installing the new unit. It required some reprogramming of the system - beyond my capability - but the shop knew what to do. And much cheaper than going to s Porsche Stealership.
The following users liked this post:
JPPoulin (03-29-2024)
Old 03-29-2024, 12:31 AM
JPPoulin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lagunatich
Yes. The independent shop I went to did the diagnostics before installing the new unit. It required some reprogramming of the system - beyond my capability - but the shop knew what to do. And much cheaper than going to s Porsche Stealership.
Great to know. Really helps my path fixing the radio.

When you mentioned programming, did the shop have to program the car's VIN into the amp so it would work?

The reason why I ask is that the other module (under the driver's seat) also got destroyed from water. Supposedly it also require VIN programming but I do not know the level of sophistication needed to program the VIN in the module. (e.g. can a PIWIS computer program it in or must I get Porsche to do it... and cost 1 x arm and 1 x leg)

Quick Reply: Mostly non-functional radio / infotainment PCM system...