Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PADM Fault - Anyone seen this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2022, 02:19 AM
Z3SpdDmn
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default PADM Fault - Anyone seen this?

The right pod of my instrument cluster shows "PADM fault. Possible to drive on carefully" and I can back out of the warning.
My scan tool shows: 001 023 "Right drivetrain mount pressure sensor, short circuit to ground in signal line"

The car is a 2014 Boxster S 6MT w/ Sport Chrono. The active mounts were replaced 2 years and 10k miles ago. I took a look under the car last night and couldn't see any obvious or suspicious issue with the wiring or the connector on the passenger side mount. Any suggestions on what to look for or how to further diagnose?

Thank you,
Anthony

Last edited by Z3SpdDmn; 12-07-2022 at 12:54 AM.
Old 12-06-2022, 09:55 AM
ICNU
Pro

Received 415 Likes on 249 Posts

You have another failed active transmission mount. These mounts have a long history of random failures on all P cars they are used on for years now, even on brand new cars. A Google search of "Porsche PADM mount failure" will bring up all sorts of reading for you. Its not a cheap fix either, even if you DIY, as the mounts alone are $1,300 each. Add another $400+ for labor if a shop swaps it out for you.

Do you drive your car in the rain a lot, or was it driven in the rain recently before the failure? The failure always seems to be the same "shorted to ground" issue, and Porsche recalled the PADM mounts on the 911 a while back for the failures and had rubber covers installed on them as the failures were determined to be caused by water ingress. Its suspected that the 981 mounts possibly fail for the same reason, however Porsche has long moved on and there is no such update for us.

In the meantime, nothing will happen if you continue to drive on it, as it just goes back to a non active mode when they fail and you likely won't notice a difference at all. You will however get the dash warning at every startup that can be dismissed.

Last edited by ICNU; 12-06-2022 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-07-2022, 12:53 AM
Z3SpdDmn
Advanced

Thanks for the feedback. I don't think the car has seen rain but maybe a couple times in the last 2 years since they were replaced.
From your experience, does this code always mean that the engine mount needs replacement? Is the pressure sensor internal to it?

I do notice the difference in the mounts between normal and Sport+ modes, but haven't driven it enough in the failed state to assess a difference with one failed.

Thanks,
Anthony

Last edited by Z3SpdDmn; 12-07-2022 at 12:56 AM.
Old 12-07-2022, 12:59 AM
Z3SpdDmn
Advanced

Reading up on others' experience, it sounds like you summed it up, ICNU. I'll need to replace. Thanks for the input.
Old 12-07-2022, 09:28 AM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 230 Posts

What do you primarily use the car for? You could install passive semi-solid mounts if you use it mainly for fast driving.
Old 12-07-2022, 10:10 AM
Z3SpdDmn
Advanced

Originally Posted by nhnguy12
What do you primarily use the car for? You could install passive semi-solid mounts if you use it mainly for fast driving.
It's a street car, but I drive it in Sport+ 90% of the time. So, if there was a passive mount that was equivalent to the Sport+ setting, I could consider that. Any suggestions?
Old 12-07-2022, 10:54 AM
ICNU
Pro

Received 415 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Z3SpdDmn
Reading up on others' experience, it sounds like you summed it up, ICNU. I'll need to replace. Thanks for the input.
Yes, unfortunately it will need to be replaced. The mounts are non-serviceable sealed devices. The PADM mounts are controlled using PASM electronics even if you dont have the PASM option on the car. The PASM electronics are there on the Sport Chrono equipped cars one way or the other. These mounts are active at all times. They read the G Force of the car and constantly adapt in an attempt to keep the heavy motor and tranny centered in the car under high G loads, and the aggressiveness of this reaction is determined by the driving mode you have chosen. They are referred to as "leveling mounts" in my OB device, so they are not simply on/off devices as many think
Old 12-07-2022, 11:30 AM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 482 Likes on 351 Posts

FCPEuro sells the PADM mounts with their Lifetime Warranty. No affiliation.
The following 3 users liked this post by Kitc2246:
Frykman_991.1 (05-30-2023), Jim981CS (12-09-2022), nhnguy12 (12-07-2022)
Old 12-07-2022, 12:48 PM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 230 Posts

I wrote about my experience with the WEVO semi-solid mounts, which has been very positive so far:
https://rennlist.com/forums/981-foru...ts-review.html

My car didn't come equipped with the active mounts so I can't speak to the difference between PADM in Sport Plus vs the semi-solid mounts. But I haven't had any issues using the car as my fun daily-driver.

As mentioned by other users, the PADM mounts are non-serviceable with an unpredictable lifespan and quite costly to replace. By comparison it cost me 340 USD to buy the full set of WEVO transmission mounts + 1 hour of labor to install. Moving forwards the WEVO mounts are serviceable as the pillow inserts used to dampen the vibrations are replaceable at 35 USD for the set. I plan to proactively replace these inserts every 50-60k miles. There's also the option for softer pillow inserts if you're super worried about increased NVH but I've been very happy with the inserts it comes with.

Edit: +1 on sourcing from FCP Euro if you plan to stick with the active mounts. Their lifetime replacement policy is legit.

Last edited by nhnguy12; 12-07-2022 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-08-2022, 11:56 PM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 189 Posts

A friend had both go out, a few months apart, on his ‘15 CGTS. In both cases he was doing some spirited driving in sport+. He was able to get his dealer to cover much of the replacement costs. Even if out of warranty check with the dealer. Try to build a case as to why the dealer should cover.
Old 02-01-2024, 07:16 AM
Frykman_991.1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FCP Euro’s lifetime replacement warranty is legit, but be aware that should their first part fail, you buy the second and then send the original part back for FCP credit. So pay ~$1,500 for part #1, then another ~$1,500 for part #2 and end up with a $1,500 credit at FCP for a future purchase.
Old 02-01-2024, 07:48 AM
thecajunboy
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Frykman_991.1
FCP Euro’s lifetime replacement warranty is legit, but be aware that should their first part fail, you buy the second and then send the original part back for FCP credit. So pay ~$1,500 for part #1, then another ~$1,500 for part #2 and end up with a $1,500 credit at FCP for a future purchase.
I didn't realize that you get an FCP credit, and not money back. That really bites for a large purchase like this. So if you buy one of these and then it fails, you buy another and get credit, and should the second fail, you can use the credit to get a fourth, it starts to turn into a "buy 2 and get 1 free" type deal. Considering their inflated price compared to Porsche prices you can get online, they're making enough money on the first purchase to cover the second, which you are gonna fork over, so they're making close to double money. I've got two failed PADMs still and I'm thinking FCP Euro will not be where I get replacements.

Quick Reply: PADM Fault - Anyone seen this?