Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 Cayman GTS Purchase - CarFax oddities

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2022, 12:22 AM
jchn
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Cayman GTS Purchase - CarFax oddities

Hello everyone - I have put a deposit down on what will be my first Porsche. The vehicle is CPO with a 2 yr warranty. Upon inspecting the CarFax (link below) I noticed an oddity in how high the tire repair/replacement frequency seems to be—particularly with the first owner but also with the second. I count 4 instances of tire repair or replacement in the first four years of the car’s existence. Is this something that should be a concern or a red-flag? Is there any other aspect of the CarFax that would give you pause? I also thought it was odd that the third owner only kept the car for 10 months…is that not a bit atypical? I greatly appreciate the group’s expertise. Thanks!

CarFax: https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/ar20/cJ6BtqJuX-reTyNYiPOFkAYFelOusvAuv2fI4zqL4tzHNWRFGtceWBLw-U13geZo9n7PxawpUh57-qQFYP_fZZiAraOBDNkI2y8
Old 09-13-2022, 01:18 AM
Abt12
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Link doesn't work. Could have been winter tires being swapped on and off. Or could have been tracked.

As for 3rd owner, very possible they just wanted a fun car for summer and didn't want to keep it much longer (or couldn't afford to).
Old 09-13-2022, 01:34 PM
NoVACayman
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts

Some people don't want to get a second set of wheels for winter and just go to the shop and have the summer and winter tires swapped out each year. I don't get it, but some people do.

As for only owning the car for 10 months, I'm a serial car swapper, with my longest time with a car being a year and a half. I *plan* on keeping my 718 for much longer than that, but I've said that about every car I've ever owned. I am meticulous about maintenance on my cars, no matter how long I plan to keep them, so I wouldn't let that be a red flag.
Old 09-13-2022, 03:52 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 347 Posts

Looking at the CarFax, the first 20K+ miles appear to have been spent in Coral Gables, Florida so probably no winter tires involved for the first 2 1/2 years.

Four tires @ approximately 11K mile - Maybe the rears were gone, the owner switched to a different tire and purchased a set?
One tire balanced @ approximately 16K miles - It happens.
Two tires replaced @ approximately 21K miles - Look like he's getting about 11K out of the rears.
Two tires replaced @ approximately 23.5K miles - New owner replaced the fronts?
No tire work since 23.5K miles...I don't think there's anything bad going on there.

With the exception of replacing/repairing a front fender liner and front marker lamp assembly, everything else looks pretty normal.

Just my guesses...

Last edited by TMc993; 09-13-2022 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Clarity
The following users liked this post:
Schwinn (09-13-2022)
Old 09-13-2022, 04:10 PM
Randy_B
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 248 Posts

The recent 10-month owner may have purchased the car with financial gain in mind with how crazy the car market is. Whether they got it or not is another story.
Old 09-13-2022, 06:22 PM
boxdriver
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 73 Posts

All tires have a manufactured date code on them. Look online to see how to read the code. See if the dates line up with rears changed on one first date and fronts on the other. If the fronts are still original and the rears have the newest date, then you know the rears were changed twice. If they all have original dates on them, then you know it was a snow tire swap. If any of them have the original date on them (before Aug 2014) then they should be changed due to age and you can see if the dealer will do that for you. I'm not sure what the CPO has for a life span on tires that they have to comply with, but it should be no more than 8 years and the car was delivered to the first dealer in Aug 2014.

It's hard to believe they are going for $70k right now. It looks like it is right in line with KBB price. I hope it is in great shape. The car market is crazy!

Welcome to the Porsche family. Once you join, it is hard to get out. I tried, but I didn't last long before I came back. I'm on #4.
Old 09-13-2022, 06:46 PM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 179 Posts

At 23k along with the tires a 4 wheel alignment was completed. May have fixed any early tire wear. As far as keeping 10 months many look at a Porsche as a short term toy. Buy, drive for a while then move onto the next one.

Last edited by rdboxster; 09-13-2022 at 06:52 PM.

Quick Reply: 2015 Cayman GTS Purchase - CarFax oddities