Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reoccurring warnings on 14 Cayman base

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2022, 10:39 PM
GRC4S
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reoccurring warnings on 14 Cayman base

Curious if anyone had any insight on an issue I am having with my 2014 Cayman Base with 44k miles, manual, no mods.

The car is my daily driver and the issue is only every few weeks, but also could happen two days in a row, no pattern.

Most of the time it happens right after I start the car, a few times while driving.

Yellow lights on dash, two warnings each time, one saying the auto start stop feature is disabled/not working (could get the actual warning if needed) and at the same time it says the same about PSM.

If you shut the car off and turn it back on it goes away until the next time.

I assume a faulty computer but open to options.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-17-2022, 12:46 AM
thecajunboy
Rennlist Member

Received 508 Likes on 320 Posts

Sounds like time for a new battery. Auto start stop feature gets disabled if there isn't enough capacity to restart the engine. Other strange things can happen too. Original battery?
The following 3 users liked this post by thecajunboy:
Chrismalberts (08-17-2022), KBell (08-18-2022), Viper pilot (08-18-2022)
Old 08-17-2022, 08:38 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by thecajunboy
Sounds like time for a new battery. Auto start stop feature gets disabled if there isn't enough capacity to restart the engine. Other strange things can happen too. Original battery?
This. Needs new battery. Will need new battery adaptation as well due to the current battery's health having degraded to the point you are seeing warning messages of this nature.
The following users liked this post:
Jim981CS (08-17-2022)
Old 08-17-2022, 09:59 AM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 477 Likes on 347 Posts

COSTCO is a good source for Interstate batteries. Suspect you have AGM battery, H6 or H7.
Old 08-17-2022, 11:25 PM
GRC4S
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has a new Porsche installed battery as of April of this year. I could certainly have it checked. Warning lights have increased today considerably going now, adding one in that says engine control module. It seems to estate between the three, sometimes all three at once.
Old 08-17-2022, 11:41 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Ignition coils?
Old 08-18-2022, 09:28 AM
ICNU
Pro

Received 412 Likes on 248 Posts

Yep, if not the battery, its the likely the coils. They are known to fail easily, even with low miles due to the proximity to the hot exhaust manifolds, and these are the crazy symptoms that result. Anywhere from lighting every unrelated warning lamp on the dash, to going into limp mode if things get bad enough.
Old 08-18-2022, 11:53 AM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 477 Likes on 347 Posts

Do you have a CTEK or equivalent? If you do give it a full charge and see if the symptoms go away. In my experience the start/stop is the first indication of a failing battery. A bad coil pack normally gives a more specific error, but not always. Also a code for which coil pack. You can also feel the misfire most of the time.
Old 08-18-2022, 02:10 PM
forestial
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 65 Posts

Ha! I came to Rennlist today intending to post a question EXACTLY like OPs'. My car is a 2014 Cayman S but I have been getting the same three warnings:
- Fault Engine Control, possible to drive on
- Start/Stop function deactivated
- PSM disabled, possible to drive with care

I'll have to look at my paperwork but I think the car got a new battery 2.5 years (and about 11,000 miles) ago just before I purchased it from the dealer. So I guess it could be time...

I am not dismissing the suggestion about coil packs, but would a fault there be likely to trigger a warning about PSM? I'm puzzled about what the connection could be between those things. I have not noticed misfiring.
Old 08-18-2022, 02:25 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by forestial
Ha! I came to Rennlist today intending to post a question EXACTLY like OPs'. My car is a 2014 Cayman S but I have been getting the same three warnings:

I'll have to look at my paperwork but I think the car got a new battery 2.5 years (and about 11,000 miles) ago just before I purchased it from the dealer. So I guess it could be time...

I am not dismissing the suggestion about coil packs, but would a fault there be likely to trigger a warning about PSM? I'm puzzled about what the connection could be between those things. I have not noticed misfiring.
With a failing coil pack you will see fault messages that make absolutely no sense.
Old 08-18-2022, 02:27 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GRC4S
It has a new Porsche installed battery as of April of this year. I could certainly have it checked. Warning lights have increased today considerably going now, adding one in that says engine control module. It seems to estate between the three, sometimes all three at once.
Possibly when the "new" battery was installed it wasn't properly ran through the adaptation process, requires PIWIS, and if the previous battery was severely degraded the various computers around the car will need to be reset with the new battery's health status.
KBell (08-18-2022)
Old 08-18-2022, 02:46 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

With a failing coil pack you will see fault messages that make absolutely no sense.
Old 08-18-2022, 10:53 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 307 Posts

okie981 has another good point.
Last year, I installed a battery. I did not have that battery "programmed'' to my car. That battery died in one year.

Thus, I installed another new battery. Went to Porsche to have them program it to my car. All good.
Old 08-19-2022, 09:10 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KBell
okie981 has another good point.
Last year, I installed a battery. I did not have that battery "programmed'' to my car. That battery died in one year.

Thus, I installed another new battery. Went to Porsche to have them program it to my car. All good.
Can't go wrong with doing the PIWIS adaptation process every time a new battery is installed, but if you install a new battery before the old one causes any error messages to show up and before any weird behavior starts (like auto start/stop quits working), it's not necessary to do the adaptation. This is per advice from multiple experienced Porsche dealership techs I've spoken with.
Thacker (08-19-2022)
Old 08-19-2022, 09:18 AM
ICNU
Pro

Received 412 Likes on 248 Posts

My personal coil pack failure experience is that the fault codes that light up typically have zero to do with the actual problem. That same cluster of 3 messages will show up for just about any issue at all, even a brake light switch on mine caused the same warnings. It seems Porsche just lights every warning on the dash to get your attention, but then a good Porsche specific code device will list what is actually going on. Im betting 99% both you and OP issues in this thread is at least one failing coil pack. They have been revised a couple times over the years due to many early failures on these cars. Good news is its a $300 DIY fix to replace all 6 with the newer improved versions.

Last edited by ICNU; 08-19-2022 at 09:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Reoccurring warnings on 14 Cayman base