Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Panel Repair

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2024 | 12:05 PM
Sajan
Pro

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Probably what Pedro does....for $650 + $150 shipping

The following users liked this post:
carlos914 (05-16-2024)
Old 06-14-2024 | 03:28 PM
boxdriver
Racer

@Andydna15 How have your door panels held up over the last couple of years? I was planning on doing mine with the Weldwood contact cement also. I use that for some of our products at work and it has never let me down.
Old 06-14-2024 | 08:52 PM
Andydna15
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boxdriver
@Andydna15 How have your door panels held up over the last couple of years? I was planning on doing mine with the Weldwood contact cement also. I use that for some of our products at work and it has never let me down.

Window rolled all the way down.
It’s held up. The passenger side has not lifted at all. The driver side lifted slightly.
Old 06-17-2024 | 10:40 AM
boxdriver
Racer

I did my doors this weekend. My drivers sided wasn't too bad, but it was starting to lift on the front half. The passenger's side was getting really bad. When I pulled them off, I discovered that the previous owner must have tried to repair the driver's side already. It looked like they used a hot melt type of glue that gets really hard like an epoxy. It also looks like they did the work without taking the door panel off the door. Not only was the foam glued onto the panel, but the panel was glued to the door itself. This glue was hard, and I had to cut through it to get the panel off the door. This is really bad because if the airbag were to need to go off, I'm not sure it would have released from the door like it is designed to. I was unable to release the foam that was already glued to the panel because it would have destroyed the foam, so I will have to live with the imperfections of the job they did. It is a little wavey in the spot they glued. I glued the front half of the drivers panel that didn't have any old glue in it, and I glued the entire passenger's panel.
The back corners of both panels were broken. They are designed from the factory to be the weak spot so the airbag can break them apart if it needs to deploy. So, I repaired that with epoxy, but just did a few spots so it would still be able to break away if need be.
The end result is a nicely glued panel that is straight. The only issue is that the top of the panel doesn't sit quit as low on the sill as it probably originally did when new. This is because the entire panel has a little weakness to it that doesn't hold the top of the panel down tight where it touches the windowsill. I don't see a way to fix this because of the way it is designed with the airbag. I can't add any structural support that will be able to break away if the airbag needs to deploy. May I will try clamping the panel from top to bottom tightly and heating the back side of the top curve with a heat gun then letting it cool in the clamps to see if that springs it tighter down.

Passenger's door before.

Previous owner's attempt to repair.

Old glue stuck to door.

Driver's side front half and glue used.

Passenger's door, glue setting.

Back corner broken. You can see it was designed to be a weak spot for the airbag to break away.

Back corner repaired so it can still break away.
The following users liked this post:
Larson E. Rapp (06-17-2024)

Quick Reply: Door Panel Repair