Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel gauge sensor, 981

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2022, 05:59 PM
pauhana28
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel gauge sensor, 981

Has anyone had issues with their fuel gauge sensor? I had a half a tank of gas, with the duration indicator reading 200 miles. I filled the gas tank up and the gauge then read less than a quarter of a tank and a duration of 70 miles. That then went to zero duration and what appears to be empty on the gauge as I drove those 70 miles. It has not changed, despite putting more miles on the car.

Last edited by pauhana28; 07-11-2022 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-23-2022, 12:29 PM
pauhana28
3rd Gear

Crazy.....I won't be refilling my car when it is half full again! I ran the fuel down with about 2 ga. left in the tank, refueled and problem went away. It registered a full tank and a duration of 400 + miles. The problem I surmised is the computer estimate of what is in the tank got screwed up with the small refill. Just a guess though.
Old 07-23-2022, 12:52 PM
forestial
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 65 Posts

Mine started acting erratically, usually saying that the tank was near empty when in fact it was near full. It was intermittently doing this for a few days.
Then it popped up a warning message: I don't remember the details but it did say it was OK to keep driving.
Since the CPO was soon to expire, I took the car to the dealer and they replaced the fuel tank sensor under warranty. It took a couple of weeks to get the part. No issues since then.
Old 02-05-2024, 01:30 PM
artblanchard
1st Gear

I just had this happen, bizarrely similar: I had maybe 3/4 tank with distance to empty about 230 miles, and topped it off. A few miles after heading out, it read 70 miles.
I kept driving, and it went down to zero, and kept driving.
3 days later, I started it and now distance to empty says 400. I don't usually get 500 miles out of a full tank, so it seems like it might be reading high now.

I'm out of warranty. It is still worth getting checked out, and maybe having shop want to replace the sensing unit, and/or dash display?

I'm a new user here. Should I start a fresh thread?
Old 02-05-2024, 01:55 PM
forestial
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 65 Posts

You're fine to continue this thread as it sounds like you have the same issue as a few of us.

Whether you get it checked depends I suppose on how bothersome the fault is to you. I found it disconcerting not to know how much fuel I have, so was filling up more than I probably needed just to be sure, which was a nuisance. By keeping track of the odometer I suppose you could have a fair idea of where you stand.

I don't know what the replacement sensor cost, since mine was done under warranty. An independent repair shop that knows Porsches could probably give you an idea.

Quick Reply: Fuel gauge sensor, 981