Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blacked out my steering wheel trim.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2022, 04:51 PM
Emosgarage
Instructor

Received 319 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Blacked out my steering wheel trim.

I’ll post a longer DIY with instructions but today I used a spray-on matte rubber to black out the shiny plastic on my steering wheel. The reflection/glare was annoying, especially on the track. Welcome questions/feedback

Before photo

Spray on rubber coating

Finished

Installed. Matches my vents now

Old 06-19-2022, 01:02 PM
syzygetic
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

This looks great! I'm very interested in the paint - is it spray plastidip? The finish looks finer than I normally associate with plastidip, but temperature matters so much with that product, it could just be you did it at a high temp.
Old 06-19-2022, 08:46 PM
Emosgarage
Instructor

Originally Posted by syzygetic
This looks great! I'm very interested in the paint - is it spray plastidip? The finish looks finer than I normally associate with plastidip, but temperature matters so much with that product, it could just be you did it at a high temp.
thanks! I used Rustoleum Peel-Cote. I sprayed it outside in the sun and temps were around 78 degrees. Finish turned out well. I had previously sprayed my vent surrounds and so I had some practice. If it goes on too thick, then the finish can get weird looking.

Old 06-20-2022, 11:47 AM
spyderdoc
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

I did the steering wheel trim to black (but bought the black trim from Suncoast). I really want my vent surrounds to be black. How did you do it? Did you remove the trim or tape it off to paint it? How is the paint as far as durability? I'm afraid a fingernail may gouge some of the paint off....
Old 06-20-2022, 02:25 PM
Emosgarage
Instructor

Originally Posted by spyderdoc
I did the steering wheel trim to black (but bought the black trim from Suncoast). I really want my vent surrounds to be black. How did you do it? Did you remove the trim or tape it off to paint it? How is the paint as far as durability? I'm afraid a fingernail may gouge some of the paint off....
Hi, I created a separate DIY for that. See here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/981-foru...l#post18167545

regarding durability, it seems fine. The vents and even the steering wheel trim aren’t high contact areas. I figure if it gets scratched up I can just peel it off and start over.
Old 06-21-2022, 06:23 PM
IndigoInkTaco
Pro

Received 352 Likes on 228 Posts

Does that product state to apply it in direct sun? Anytime I've done a DIY paint job on something it specifically states to avoid curing in sunlight. Either way, I think it turned out great based off the pics. Just curious since that's not what I'm used to seeing.
The following users liked this post:
Emosgarage (06-21-2022)
Old 06-21-2022, 09:00 PM
Emosgarage
Instructor

Originally Posted by IndigoInkTaco
Does that product state to apply it in direct sun? Anytime I've done a DIY paint job on something it specifically states to avoid curing in sunlight. Either way, I think it turned out great based off the pics. Just curious since that's not what I'm used to seeing.
I read the can again and it just says to spray outdoors. Nothing about avoiding direct sunlight. You are supposed to do multiple coats only 5 minutes apart, so it dries very quickly. I think the finish looks good. Looks like factory black textured plastic.
Old 06-23-2022, 01:28 PM
Apexshredder81
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That turned out great! I'm considering sending my steering wheel trim to my paint guy to be re-finished in agate grey to match my car.
The following users liked this post:
Emosgarage (06-23-2022)

Quick Reply: Blacked out my steering wheel trim.