Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cobb Accessport / Headers Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2022, 06:00 PM
mkp81
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Cobb Accessport / Headers Question

I'm still fairly new to the 981 game so sorry for the rookie question here but I recently added a Cobb Accessport + PDK tune and some filters to my GTS.
I'm now considering Soul long tube headers to really wake it up. A Cobb rep said if I go with headers I'll need to take the car to a tuner for a pro tune. So, is the accessport obsolete at that point, aside from the PDK update? Or does a 'pro tuner' utilize the accessport?
Didn't do my homework on all this ahead of time, obviously.
I don't track the car, really just want a little more grunt when I'm doing some spirited driving.

TIA
Old 06-13-2022, 09:29 PM
chase15
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 80 Posts

The pro tuner still need the Cobb Accessport to tune your car. Instead of the OTS map tune from Cobb, the tuner will make a custom map depending on what mods you have and the dyno results then use the access port to flash the ECU of your car.
My 981 S has sports headers and is pro tuned. Compare to the stage 2 OTS map from cobb, it made more HP and the power delivery was much better and smoother.
Old 06-14-2022, 09:51 AM
DC021
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by chase15
My 981 S has sports headers and is pro tuned. Compare to the stage 2 OTS map from cobb, it made more HP and the power delivery was much better and smoother.
What was the original stage 2 intended for? An car with high flow Headers?

Thanks!
Old 06-14-2022, 10:46 AM
chase15
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DC021
What was the original stage 2 intended for? An car with high flow Headers?

Thanks!
Yes, It is intended for cars with high flow headers. I did use it prior to getting pro tune after my headers was installed. I did feel a little bit difference from stage 1 OTS, but it felt more polished when I had it pro tuned. It ended up making 320HP to the wheel on the dyno. Stock PSE exhaust and high flow air filters, btw.

Last edited by chase15; 06-14-2022 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-14-2022, 02:52 PM
brewerbry
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 70 Posts

Beware COBB tuning and aftermarket catless headers. I believe COBB has disabled their protuning software from eliminating cel's due to catless headers. It seems like it would work if you purchased the headers with cats. I would speak with your protuner before making any purchases to be sure they can program it the way you want and without cel's.
Old 06-14-2022, 04:32 PM
chase15
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by brewerbry
Beware COBB tuning and aftermarket catless headers. I believe COBB has disabled their protuning software from eliminating cel's due to catless headers. It seems like it would work if you purchased the headers with cats. I would speak with your protuner before making any purchases to be sure they can program it the way you want and without cel's.
This is true. Updated Cobb tuner doesn't have the ability to turn off CEL anymore. That's the case n my friend's car. Since mine was pro tuned with older version of tuner, I don't have CEL problem on mine.

Last edited by chase15; 06-14-2022 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-16-2022, 09:05 AM
DC021
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by chase15
Yes, It is intended for cars with high flow headers. I did use it prior to getting pro tune after my headers was installed. I did feel a little bit difference from stage 1 OTS, but it felt more polished when I had it pro tuned. It ended up making 320HP to the wheel on the dyno. Stock PSE exhaust and high flow air filters, btw.
Thanks, I just wanted to verify now that all info on it has been cleansed.

Appreciate it!
Old 06-20-2022, 09:19 PM
mkp81
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks for the replies. Headers will arrive tomorrow and I was planning to install this weekend. Am I okay to leave my OTS accessport 93 octane tune as is for now or is it better to just put the ECU back stock until I can get setup with a pro tune? (which I will do soon, it's on my list)j

Thanks again.
Old 07-02-2022, 02:33 AM
Apexshredder81
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mkp81
Thanks for the replies. Headers will arrive tomorrow and I was planning to install this weekend. Am I okay to leave my OTS accessport 93 octane tune as is for now or is it better to just put the ECU back stock until I can get setup with a pro tune? (which I will do soon, it's on my list)j

Thanks again.
You might as well toss the headers on and see how the car feels with your current tune. You will of course have a cel unless you use some of the o2 sensor extenders.

Quick Reply: Cobb Accessport / Headers Question