Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive into the ground, or sell?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2022, 06:19 PM
BondJ
Pro

Received 352 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by KBell
You talk too much!…
The following users liked this post:
KBell (06-06-2022)
Old 06-07-2022, 10:56 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 259 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by syzygetic
So this was indeed part of the calculus. I've spent some time and money on this car getting it to exactly what I want. Nothing crazy, but it's not stock, and in the ways which matter to me (and aren't available as options, in many cases, so I'd be modding another car in the future, if it were a similar car).

6MT / Numeric Shifter / Stiff Transmission Mount / Sport Headers / X73 suspension, etc. It's a 2.7L base.
#2. Keep it. Get a good car cover and continue with the TLC.
The following 2 users liked this post by CaymanCarver:
Chrismalberts (06-07-2022), syzygetic (06-08-2022)
Old 06-07-2022, 01:59 PM
torvektheo
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

I would say keep the car. This is a car you will want to enjoy in the future again and again. There is nothing like this. if you do not drive everyday, then make each drive memorable and enjoyable. I have 2 cars (e46 M3 SMG and Cayman S 6spd), I work remote and not even once I thought of selling either cars (tbh I purchased the CS a few months ago. Had an F80 M3 prior and sold it to get the CS). You already have the car to a position where its configured to your taste.

Purchasing another car will cost you $$ (buying, registration, etc.) some of this cash could be used to rent a storage, garage somewhere etc. To a car guy, a car is just not for driving from point A to point B. There is an enjoyable piece than non car people will not comprehend unless they feel it themselves.
To sum it all>>>>> KEEP THE CAR!!

PS: If you decide to sell.. I am local (Maryland) and I have interest on the X73 and Sport header. (but wish you would not sell).. Maybe we can meet someday too
syzygetic (06-08-2022)
Old 06-07-2022, 07:48 PM
Chrismalberts
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

I don't mean to be impatient, but I'm kind of interested in where OP's mind is on this. Without trying to impute or imply anything, sometimes questions like this are really a screen for "I would like a different car". Hard to imagine based on the options suggested, though I'm not knocking a Civic Si. I guess I'll just subscribe to the thread <sigh>.
KBell (06-07-2022)
Old 06-07-2022, 08:28 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 473 Likes on 315 Posts

OP? Any update?
Old 06-08-2022, 11:57 AM
syzygetic
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Man, thanks for the opinions here, this is helpful to see how others are thinking.

Originally Posted by Cyclman
If you’re not enjoying it but rarely, sell. If the less often drive is a special “event” you look forward to, that would be lost if you replace it with a beater.
Every other car I drive feels broken to me, I have this one really dialed in, and, though I very rarely even drive a car (this is my only car, I bike mostly or walk), when I do drive, it feels right.

Originally Posted by nhnguy12
PS if you plan to return to stock before selling, I'd be interested in your upgraded calipers haha.
Haha, no no, my upgrades are "burn the ships", stock parts get sold, this car dies/gets sold in its upgraded state (the way it should be)!

Originally Posted by Chrismalberts
Assume you also have softronic or similar ECU tune also.
Yeah, Cobb tune, it is noticeable!

Care to share (PM is fine) your thoughts about the headers and X73 particularly?
Absolutely! https://rennlist.com/forums/981-foru...-7l-981-a.html

(feel free to PM for more info, happy to talk)

Originally Posted by 9eight7
you can likely get back all the money for the car, invest it, and get a new toy when the opportunity presents itself.
Indeed, this is why I'm thinking it makes sense to part ways. I don't need the money, but I'm also not looking for inefficient disposition of an asset, and the money can sit in, idk, some crypto or something.

Originally Posted by torvektheo
Purchasing another car will cost you $$ (buying, registration, etc.) some of this cash could be used to rent a storage, garage somewhere etc. To a car guy, a car is just not for driving from point A to point B. There is an enjoyable piece than non car people will not comprehend unless they feel it themselves.
To sum it all>>>>> KEEP THE CAR!!

PS: If you decide to sell.. I am local (Maryland) and I have interest on the X73 and Sport header. (but wish you would not sell).. Maybe we can meet someday too
Compelling case!

I don't mean to be impatient, but I'm kind of interested in where OP's mind is on this. Without trying to impute or imply anything, sometimes questions like this are really a screen for "I would like a different car". Hard to imagine based on the options suggested, though I'm not knocking a Civic Si. I guess I'll just subscribe to the thread <sigh>.
Definitely not a screen for "I want a different car". I actually want no car at all, but if I do have to have a car, it's hard to imagine not driving this one. I kinda think this might be my last car, either way, or at least the last car I actually care to drive.

Here's my mind right now, though I'm still deciding while the car is in the shop for the wheel carrier recall:

If I really, truly don't need a car at all, I am going to sell this one. This, however, takes some consideration, because I don't live in a real city, I live in Washington DC, which is really a collection of suburbs. We have metro, sure, but mass transit off the metro is terrible, and lots of things are pretty spread out here... it's not Manhattan or Chicago, more like LA or Atlanta, but with a good metro.

So!

Testing the whole "what if I regret this and need a beater" theory, I looked for what I can buy at the "truly don't care" end of the market, and... it seems a $20k car nowadays is just not a thing. Well, not one that I want to even sit in. Heck, looking at what I can get for the money I'd get out of this car, say, $40-50k, is not inspiring. Nothing in that list is what I want to drive.

I guess the argument that the car you have is the cheapest car to own really works here, and I might just keep this and drive the wheels off.

I don't have to decide for another couple months, I still have parking, but I am, right now, leaning toward "keep and care less".

Schwinn (06-08-2022)
Old 06-08-2022, 01:20 PM
DonJuan
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I daily drive mine year round but I keep it clean when snow isn’t on ground. Mine looks good. My Ferrari I keep under two cover raises off ground
syzygetic (06-10-2022)
Old 06-09-2022, 01:21 AM
Laszlo_Laz
Pro

Received 333 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by TMc993
You will be amazed at how fast a rarely driven car parked outdoors will deteriorate.
It’s like parking a car on Mars. It definitely won’t last long. OP should sell. It’s the right thing to do.
syzygetic (06-10-2022)
Old 06-09-2022, 08:42 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,304 Likes on 888 Posts

All of the people saying "sell now and buy another one later" are whistling past the graveyard. There may not be "another one later," and if there is, you may not like the price.

It's a terrible time to buy cars -- any cars -- and no, $20K isn't going to get you anything you actually want to own and drive.
The following 2 users liked this post by Noah Fect:
Schwinn (06-10-2022), syzygetic (06-10-2022)

Quick Reply: Drive into the ground, or sell?