Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transport/Shipping

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2022, 10:45 AM
cfkid
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Transport/Shipping

After I bought my car, I did some research here on Rennlist about shipping. I chose Plycar based on mostly good reviews and the fact that they should be able to pick the car up this week.

Has anyone had specific experience with them? They don’t communicate very well. I’ve sent emails and left messages but not really been able to get a call back. They were happy to charge my credit card.

I would just like to know when the car will be picked up, so I can give the seller a heads up. I’ve heard that Nick @ PlyCar would be a good contact to maybe help, but I haven’t been able to find his contact information.

Is this just the norm for transport or is this the new norm due to the supply chain, etc.?

Mark
Old 06-01-2022, 11:57 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 347 Posts

I've used four different transport companies in the past four years, two during the pandemic, one as late as two months ago. The behavior you described is not normal in my experience. The haulers I used required a credit card number, but the charge didn't go through until the delivery was made and signed off on. Each transporter gave me an ETA for pick-up plus or minus an hour, updated me enroute and called me within an hour of delivery. These were not the big companies like Passport Transport, just independents with enclosed trailers. I use Shipley to get bids on hauls and have never had a problem.
Old 06-01-2022, 01:11 PM
pghpp70
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I used Plycar enclosed car carrier back in 2019 and they were great. I contacted Nick@plyconvanlines.com and he squared everything away. The communication was great and I was able to GPS track my car from CA to PA. The driver was in constant contact. I chose them because they were not a broker and handled the transport, plus they came well recommended. With that said, things can change over time. What you are describing is not even close to my experience. I would proceed with caution or maybe pick someone else if they are not meeting your customer service expectations.
The following users liked this post:
FutureCaymanGuy (06-17-2022)
Old 06-01-2022, 01:16 PM
cfkid
Advanced

Originally Posted by pghpp70
I used Plycar enclosed car carrier back in 2019 and they were great. I contacted Nick@plyconvanlines.com and he squared everything away. The communication was great and I was able to GPS track my car from CA to PA. The driver was in constant contact. I chose them because they were not a broker and handled the transport, plus they came well recommended. With that said, things can change over time. What you are describing is not even close to my experience. I would proceed with caution or maybe pick someone else if they are not meeting your customer service expectations.
Thanks for the address. This isn’t the service I expected. I’m not really sure if something fell through the cracks or if they really are just poor at communicating. I’ll email Nick and ask if he can assist.

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2022, 05:43 PM
whoddoo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you provide the contact info for Shipley as I need to ship my Porsche from Irvine, CA to Cape Coral, FL early next month. Thanks much for your assistance!
Old 06-01-2022, 06:00 PM
cfkid
Advanced

Nick replied quickly and was able to get me the information I needed. Thanks for the help with the feedback and address.
Old 06-02-2022, 04:12 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by whoddoo
Can you provide the contact info for Shipley as I need to ship my Porsche from Irvine, CA to Cape Coral, FL early next month. Thanks much for your assistance!
Shipley.com...The way the site works is you post your cargo, origination and destination and any specifics you need (Open or closed container, timeframe, etc.) via an online form. Then shippers bid on the trip. Do your due diligence with regard to checking ratings for shippers before you accept a bid. If you don't like what you see, you don't have to accept any of the bids.

If you accept a bid, you'll be required to pay a deposit, then the balance is due upon completion of the trip. I've found this approach to be much less expensive than the big name shippers but it makes some people queasy to deal with an independent. I've never experienced a scuff or scratch on any of the cars or bikes I've shipped.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-17-2022, 10:42 AM
FutureCaymanGuy
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used Passport Transport as well as Intercity in the past (pre pandemic) and had no issues. My best friend, however, had an unfavorable experience with Passport in April, in which his car was delayed getting picked up by 2.5 weeks, and did not get to him until 17 days after the target date.

Quick Reply: Transport/Shipping