Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving PDK Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2022, 01:26 PM
Laszlo_Laz
Pro

Received 333 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Lady Silver
Isn't it interesting how our women do not like to entertain suggestions made by us on cars and driving. My wife will mull over anything I suggest in our life, except cars. She doesn't always take my suggestions, but she at least seriously mulls it over. Except cars and driving, then it is a flat no. I image her poor Boxster must be very confused with the vast difference in our driving styles!
Thanks for weighing in. I'm going to watch that Sport button carefully.
This is so true. It’s truly baffling. I’ve been living this with my wife for 22-years. She has a Mercedes and it has an S mode and an E mode. She gets super pissed at me when I hop in and change it to E. Because E means Economy. Haha.

Last edited by Laszlo_Laz; 05-15-2022 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-25-2022, 08:16 PM
Strat_928
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I know others like to run manual always, and I totally understand it. But the great thing about the PDK is that it adapts to almost all situations. I actually use all 3 major physical modes, depending on the situation. On a severe turn I like to use the shift ****, the paddles become inconvenient. This happens more in town on 90 deg turns or U-turns, Plus the shift **** is fun to just bump and rest your hand on sometimes. If I am on a highway but relatively heavy traffic - it is Sport mode for sure, but in auto mode as you zip in and out of other cars and concentrate on that. Fun roads by yourself, paddles all the way etc. Mountains do work really with Sport Mode on auto so you can check out the views a bit more. It is just awesome how intuitive the PDK is, even when it does not get a shift right, it is not far off.

So if you live in town but have interstates around and mountains and fun roads close by as well, you can indeed use everything the PDK gives you. Enjoy it how you want! It works pretty much the same, no matter what.
Oh yeah - and in Launch control.... Auto mode is faster than you are......how crazy is that?
Old 05-26-2022, 06:50 AM
Lady Silver
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 188 Posts

Thanks everyone for the "tips and tricks". I have a new gripe which has appeared. It seems the Boxster jumps out of PSM while under way. The warning light comes on, although I can't feel any change in the handling. If we stop and turn off the engine, then restart, it clears and then goes the rest of the ride without jumping out again.
I'm beginning to think I should take her into the dealer.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Rick
Update: I found an earlier thread that addresses this issue somewhat. Next step is to check if any codes are being thrown.

Last edited by Lady Silver; 05-26-2022 at 07:05 AM.
Old 05-26-2022, 06:52 AM
Lady Silver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Strat_928
I know others like to run manual always, and I totally understand it. But the great thing about the PDK is that it adapts to almost all situations. I actually use all 3 major physical modes, depending on the situation. On a severe turn I like to use the shift ****, the paddles become inconvenient. This happens more in town on 90 deg turns or U-turns, Plus the shift **** is fun to just bump and rest your hand on sometimes. If I am on a highway but relatively heavy traffic - it is Sport mode for sure, but in auto mode as you zip in and out of other cars and concentrate on that. Fun roads by yourself, paddles all the way etc. Mountains do work really with Sport Mode on auto so you can check out the views a bit more. It is just awesome how intuitive the PDK is, even when it does not get a shift right, it is not far off.

So if you live in town but have interstates around and mountains and fun roads close by as well, you can indeed use everything the PDK gives you. Enjoy it how you want! It works pretty much the same, no matter what.
Oh yeah - and in Launch control.... Auto mode is faster than you are......how crazy is that?
Totally agree. In launch control this car would handily beat my 996.2 to 60. She stays in 1st gear right to the red line through 60.
Old 05-26-2022, 02:50 PM
ICNU
Pro

Received 415 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Lady Silver
Thanks everyone for the "tips and tricks". I have a new gripe which has appeared. It seems the Boxster jumps out of PSM while under way. The warning light comes on, although I can't feel any change in the handling. If we stop and turn off the engine, then restart, it clears and then goes the rest of the ride without jumping out again.
I'm beginning to think I should take her into the dealer.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Rick
Update: I found an earlier thread that addresses this issue somewhat. Next step is to check if any codes are being thrown.
That likely has nothing to do with the PSM at all. The first thing the 981 does when anything goes wrong is light up the PSM along with all sorts of other completely unrelated lights and warnings if bad enough.

A weak battery or a coil pack going out and causing misfires are common culprits for this behavior, and a PDK car can go into limp mode which will drop the car down into 2nd or 3rd gear and wont allow upshift. It will normally clear with a fresh ignition cycle, but can come right back again without warning, so yes you need to read the codes and see what is really happening.

The close proximity of the headers to the coil packs can kill them even with low miles. Mine had to be replaced for the same reason with less than 20K on the car, but I also live in a warm climate making things ever worse in the Summer

Last edited by ICNU; 05-27-2022 at 07:20 AM.
Old 05-26-2022, 04:40 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 482 Likes on 351 Posts

There should be a stored code. Find an indy with a PIWIS. Other tools can ready codes. As already stated the car will give a PSM error for a variety of reasons from weak battery, failing coil pack to ABS sensor. There's another long thread on coil pack heat shields. Standard on the 911. Suncoast has the parts. They can be installed DIY, but a very tight fit especially the lower shield bolts. Had a set installed by my indy in Spring 2020 when I acquired my 2013 BS. After 12 DE weekends no issues with what I assume are the original coil packs.
Old 05-26-2022, 05:46 PM
Lady Silver
Rennlist Member

Ok, thanks guys. I will get the codes tomorrow and report back.
Old 05-27-2022, 10:49 AM
Lady Silver
Rennlist Member

Default Durametric Error Codes

Here are the codes being thrown. This is from the entry level Durametric.
Any and all comments much appreciated.
Thanks
Rick

Last edited by Lady Silver; 05-27-2022 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-27-2022, 02:08 PM
9eight7
Pro

Received 263 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by ICNU
That likely has nothing to do with the PSM at all. The first thing the 981 does when anything goes wrong is light up the PSM along with all sorts of other completely unrelated lights and warnings if bad enough.

A weak battery or a coil pack going out and causing misfires are common culprits for this behavior, and a PDK car can go into limp mode which will drop the car down into 2nd or 3rd gear and wont allow upshift. It will normally clear with a fresh ignition cycle, but can come right back again without warning, so yes you need to read the codes and see what is really happening.

The close proximity of the headers to the coil packs can kill them even with low miles. Mine had to be replaced for the same reason with less than 20K on the car, but I also live in a warm climate making things ever worse in the Summer
I agree with ICNU. With that many codes I would start with the easiest thing first.
  1. What's the battery date and is it dead?
  2. Has your car sat for a significant time with a dead battery and you just charged it up?
Old 05-27-2022, 03:50 PM
Lady Silver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 9eight7
I agree with ICNU. With that many codes I would start with the easiest thing first.
  1. What's the battery date and is it dead?
  2. Has your car sat for a significant time with a dead battery and you just charged it up?
That did look promising, but:
1. Battery new October 2021. Porsche battery installed by dealer. It even looks new.
2. No to both. We bought her in Feb 2022 from the dealer. I have a CTEK on it and charged it every 5 days or so in the depth of winter. And we did drive her on decent days.
But, stranger things have happened with batts.

Last edited by Lady Silver; 05-27-2022 at 04:00 PM.
Old 05-27-2022, 03:54 PM
Lady Silver
Rennlist Member

The batt looks good. New Oct 2021 by dealer. But, stranger things have happened with batts. I haven't noticed any unusual PDK behavior but my wife drives it much more and uses automatic mode, with Sport. Coil packs sounds like a possibility.
Thanks

Last edited by Lady Silver; 05-27-2022 at 04:00 PM.
Old 05-27-2022, 04:42 PM
ICNU
Pro

Some of the passive codes in your post above may have been there forever and just need to be cleared out. The reading is also very non specific, but I'm not familiar with the Durametric personally so maybe someone else can clarify on that.

It seems to just be telling you what you already know and listing what warning lights came on, which always come on regardless of the actual issue. My iCarsoft Porsche unit and even my Cobb device both give much greater specific details for each code, down to telling me which cylinder is misfiring and a host of other specific details related to any codes, and not just the codes alone. It even told me which side Sport Chrono PADM mount failed and why when a warning started popping up about it at each start.

The P2317 code above is an abnormal coil voltage error, so it seems you need to look them up yourself unless there is a sub menu already giving you the details somewhere?

Last edited by ICNU; 05-27-2022 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-27-2022, 05:09 PM
Lady Silver
Rennlist Member

Some of the passive codes in your post above may have been there forever and just need to be cleared out. The reading is also very non specific, but I'm not familiar with the Durametric personally so maybe someone else can clarify on that.

It seems to just be telling you what you already know and listing what warning lights came on, which always come on regardless of the actual issue. My iCarsoft Porsche unit and even my Cobb device both give much greater specific details for each code, down to telling me which cylinder is misfiring and a host of other specific details related to any codes, and not just the codes alone. It even told me which side Sport Chrono PADM mount failed and why when a warning started popping up about it at each start.

The P2317 code above is an abnormal coil voltage error, so it seems you need to look them up yourself unless there is a sub menu already giving you the details somewhere?
Excellent point ICNU. Tomorrow I'll clear all the codes, go for a drive, and see which come back. I didn't think of that today.
Thanks
Old 05-27-2022, 05:38 PM
ICNU
Pro

Just dont do like I did and clear everything right before you plan to get any emissions testing if required. That will also clear all of that data which takes some time of normal driving situations to come back to ready state, so that was a $30 mistake I will never make again!
Old 05-27-2022, 06:46 PM
Lady Silver
Rennlist Member

Just dont do like I did and clear everything right before you plan to get any emissions testing if required. That will also clear all of that data which takes some time of normal driving situations to come back to ready state, so that was a $30 mistake I will never make again!
Good point. I bring all my vehicles into the dealers for whatever inspections are required. Never had a problem but I don't really know what is required.

Quick Reply: Driving PDK Questions