Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FVD tune report

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2022, 09:42 PM
Nip are
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim981CS
I cannot comment on the the effectiveness of the FVD tune over the Cobb tune but only share my experience of the Cobb with PDK flash. I installed aFe catted headers and PSE with the Cobb 93 octane stage 2 tune with PDK aggressive flash on my 2014 CS. I nstalled all of this closely together so I did not evaluate the upgrades separately. My butt dyno noted a notable improvement in acceleration and elimination in the 3000 rpm torque dip. I also mounted the Cobb on the dash and set it up to monitor the actual coolant temperature, oil temperature,PDK temperature, transmission oil temperature, PDK race start counter and Lambda. You have a choice or monitoring six functions out of dozens and dozens of options including clutch pressure, engine timing,exhaust gas temperature……….and data logging. You can also add pro tuning if you even more power. I am happy with their system and feel I have sport’s chrono performance including launch control with their PDK flash.

With regard to the 25 hp difference between the 3.4 engine in the 981 and the 911 I saw a technical article that claimed that the 911 has a hotter cam with a 5mm higher valve lift. I always assumed the the 911’s extra 25 hp was in the software.
Jim

That's interesting they say the 991 has 5mm more valve lift. 5mm is a lot! Do you happen to know the source for that article?
Old 05-04-2022, 10:54 PM
Jim981CS
Pro

Received 299 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Nip are
That's interesting they say the 991 has 5mm more valve lift. 5mm is a lot! Do you happen to know the source for that article?
Here is the article. I agree that 5mm is a lot.
Jim

Old 05-05-2022, 01:15 PM
Nip are
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for posting that, it was a great read. Given the more aggressive cam in the 911 9a1, that engine should have more potential than our engines. Which is as it should be according to the book of Porsche.

Quick Reply: FVD tune report