Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 CS Suspension Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2022, 12:40 PM
torvektheo
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts
Default 981 CS Suspension Question

Hello guys,

I am new to the Porsche. I come from BMW M and we usually swap parts without too much issues (M4 fits M3 etc.). Here is my question:

I would like to install the x73 Sport suspension kit on my manual 981 Cayman S. Well.. there is a shortage/backorder with no ETA. Checked with Porsche resalIers, Suncoast, etc. I wanted to find out if the Boxster version of the same X73 kit can be used on a Cayman. I did a research and I know the spring rates are different, but I wanted to know if this is the only difference between the 2 kits. Are there mounting hardware differences between Boxster and Cayman suspensions?

From my research I see people installing the X73 PDK version on Manual cars or vice versa. I know that is doable within the same 981 model, but I could not find any details if a Boxster manual version can be installed on a Cayman Manual or even the PDK version etc. Thank you for your input

Note: If someone has a X73 Sport Suspension for Manual Cayman for sale (whole kit.. suspension, sway bars, new bolts) hit me up as this will resolved my dilemma. Thanks
Old 04-08-2022, 01:54 PM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 230 Posts

All the parts should physically fit. Just the spring and sway bar rates will be slightly different between each of the variants.

I just went with Ohlins because the back-order time for my specific variant was too long. Gives you the ability to adjust the height and stiffness how you like as well.

Also, I drive a 2014 Cayman S w/ PDK and was able to install the X73 rear bar from a Boxster PDK without any issues.

Last edited by nhnguy12; 04-08-2022 at 01:55 PM.
Old 04-08-2022, 02:55 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 422 Posts

Dampers may be different settings for jounce/rebound between Boxster and Cayman in addition to spring rates and sway bar stiffness.

If the dampers have the same part numbers, they should have identical damping, I would think.
Old 04-08-2022, 07:20 PM
IndigoInkTaco
Pro

Received 352 Likes on 228 Posts

Yea who knows when that stuff comes back in stock from porsche. I'm going w/ either Bilstein or H&R for coilovers and some sways. Why not go that route, op?
Old 04-09-2022, 08:18 AM
DonJuan
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by nhnguy12
All the parts should physically fit. Just the spring and sway bar rates will be slightly different between each of the variants.

I just went with Ohlins because the back-order time for my specific variant was too long. Gives you the ability to adjust the height and stiffness how you like as well.

Also, I drive a 2014 Cayman S w/ PDK and was able to install the X73 rear bar from a Boxster PDK without any issues.
how much was ohlins
Old 04-09-2022, 04:35 PM
torvektheo
Advanced

Thank you guys for the input. I placed an order for the Boxster Manual version. If that is out as well, I will go the route of another coilovers. I wanted to have X73 to also maintain value since this was a factory option.
In term of coilovers, what is the setup that is good in term of pricing and also for a sometime daily/weekend back road?
Old 04-10-2022, 08:37 AM
IndigoInkTaco
Pro

That'll be interest to see if it fits. If it does, I'm sure suncoast will sell all of their boxster kits to the cayman guys almost immediately lol
Old 04-11-2022, 09:55 AM
torvektheo
Advanced

Well turned out thet are also out of stock for that Boxster version even tho you can order it from the website. So back to starting point
Old 04-11-2022, 11:57 AM
Sajan
Pro

Received 302 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by torvektheo
Well turned out thet are also out of stock for that Boxster version even tho you can order it from the website. So back to starting point
Enjoy the car as is for now. It's still awesome without any mods.
The following users liked this post:
IndigoInkTaco (04-12-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 02:41 PM
Brad Stinson
Instructor

Received 161 Likes on 66 Posts

Let us know if you find a source. I’ve been looking for ~8 months now. I prefer the X73 too, as I feel that will handle great for the street, lowers just right and probably actually increases resell value. If you put on aftermarket coilovers, the potential buyers for that car becomes pretty limited in my experience. I’d only do it if I wanted the height adjustability, damping/rebound adjustability or wanted to corner balance (in other words, lots of track driving). or of course if you were willing to revert it back to stock when you sell.
Old 04-11-2022, 05:04 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 364 Posts

I guess I got lucky and must have gotten one of the last ones.. I put my kit on a little over a year ago and there seemed to be ample supply.. and I agree with the reasoning shared above, and I'm super happy with the results at the track.

Old 04-12-2022, 10:33 AM
IndigoInkTaco
Pro

Originally Posted by Brad Stinson
Let us know if you find a source. I’ve been looking for ~8 months now. I prefer the X73 too, as I feel that will handle great for the street, lowers just right and probably actually increases resell value. If you put on aftermarket coilovers, the potential buyers for that car becomes pretty limited in my experience. I’d only do it if I wanted the height adjustability, damping/rebound adjustability or wanted to corner balance (in other words, lots of track driving). or of course if you were willing to revert it back to stock when you sell.
I'd say those ARE the only reasons to go w/ a coilover setup lol.

Does anyone have, or has seen, a stock suspension car they've put on the scales to see what the real cross weigh distribution is?
Old 04-12-2022, 01:41 PM
txbdan
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by IndigoInkTaco
I'd say those ARE the only reasons to go w/ a coilover setup lol.

Does anyone have, or has seen, a stock suspension car they've put on the scales to see what the real cross weigh distribution is?
I have cross weights from my car with X73 and 215lbs in the driver seat and half a tank of gas:

Total weight: 3296lb
Left: 51.8%
Rear: 57.0%
Cross: 50.5%
Old 04-12-2022, 01:45 PM
torvektheo
Advanced

Originally Posted by Brad Stinson
That is one of the reason I want to purchase this set. I like to keep my cars OEM+. If you check my history (from my small Youtube channel) you will see that I like to stay within OEM specs. The resale value with the car with X73 will be great as it was an option Porsche provided to its owner new. My compromise right now would be to either:
- Find a way to retrofit PASM and put X73 springs on it. Then add X73 sway bars for my model
- Purchase X73 springs, install on factory shocks, then add X73 sway bars.
I am not sure which of these options will put me closer to a X73. I will see if I can also purchase the X73 parts separate. I wish to find a used set or just buy the thing new. I left my order in place in the even they restock. For now I will just enjoy the car as is and do other little upgrades until I get the X73. I am sold on this suspension as everyone love it.
Old 04-12-2022, 03:27 PM
Jim981CS
Pro

Received 287 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by torvektheo
That is one of the reason I want to purchase this set. I like to keep my cars OEM+. If you check my history (from my small Youtube channel) you will see that I like to stay within OEM specs. The resale value with the car with X73 will be great as it was an option Porsche provided to its owner new. My compromise right now would be to either:
- Find a way to retrofit PASM and put X73 springs on it. Then add X73 sway bars for my model
- Purchase X73 springs, install on factory shocks, then add X73 sway bars.
I am not sure which of these options will put me closer to a X73. I will see if I can also purchase the X73 parts separate. I wish to find a used set or just buy the thing new. I left my order in place in the even they restock. For now I will just enjoy the car as is and do other little upgrades until I get the X73. I am sold on this suspension as everyone love it.
Many of the Porsche factory options can be retrofitted but IMO there are two options that are not feasible to retrofit. PASM and PTV have too many sensors, harnesses and control units and hardware.
Jim

Quick Reply: 981 CS Suspension Question