Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sanity check on 981 purchase

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2022, 05:56 PM
JWreck
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I need a sanity check too and didn't want to start a new thread. OP feel free to tell me to bugger off and I'll start one!

981 Cayman GTS
6 speed manual
Guards Red
13k miles
PTV, PDLS, PSE, PASM, Sport Chrono, GTS interior

Listed for 82k private party in CA (I'm in Austin TX). PPI pending, some recent service history docs but not everything.

I feel like it's a tad high but I'm not as familiar with what the market is doing these days!

Last edited by JWreck; 06-13-2022 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-13-2022, 08:54 PM
cofred
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JWreck
I need a sanity check too and didn't want to start a new thread. OP feel free to tell me to bugger off and I'll start one!

981 Cayman GTS
6 speed manual
Guards Red
13k miles

Listed for 82k private party in CA (I'm in Austin TX). PPI pending, some recent service history docs but not everything.

I feel like it's a tad high but I'm not as familiar with what the market is doing these days!
Have you seen this one?: https://www.spford.com/inventory/use...odels-Porsche/
I drove it on Saturday and it's fantastic, just more than I'm willing to spend right now. Couldn't find anything wrong with it save a couple blemishes in the PPF.
Old 06-13-2022, 09:32 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 368 Posts

^ That one is about a mile from my office.

Amazing that I bought my Cayman S (ok, not a GTS, but still nicely optioned) with about that mileage 4 years ago for 33K less than this one. Yikes!
Old 06-13-2022, 09:42 PM
JWreck
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cofred
Have you seen this one?: https://www.spford.com/inventory/use...odels-Porsche/
I drove it on Saturday and it's fantastic, just more than I'm willing to spend right now. Couldn't find anything wrong with it save a couple blemishes in the PPF.
I have seen it. It's definitely on the short list but (and I know how this sounds) I prefer the red exterior / black alcantara which gives off a more "sporty vibe" than the muted blue and brown (which are definitely pretty btw). Would certainly be easier as I'm in Austin so I could just drive on up!

Edited for additional info: The blue one in Dallas is missing a few "preferred" options for a nearly similar price to the red CA one - such as only having the 2 way seats, no red dial, alcantara delete, etc. It's all personal preference!

Last edited by JWreck; 06-13-2022 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-13-2022, 09:49 PM
JWreck
Intermediate

Originally Posted by saabin
^ That one is about a mile from my office.

Amazing that I bought my Cayman S (ok, not a GTS, but still nicely optioned) with about that mileage 4 years ago for 33K less than this one. Yikes!
Yeah I have looked at and documented the historical auctions for the past 2 years and I'll only do it that once. Otherwise...sad face all around.
Old 06-15-2022, 02:42 PM
fuhrius
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by JWreck

981 Cayman GTS
6 speed manual
Guards Red
13k miles

for me, the missing info is: owner history / damage and 'the story'

I paid that for my BGTS about 6 months ago. zero regret. the car is fantastic and it's exactly what I wanted. I don't like careless spending, nor am I a speculator. But that car you're looking at has a great 'drivers / enthusiast's' spec...and those are hard to come by. If, like mine, it's a no-BS / no stories car (mine was one fastidious owner, 7k easy CA miles as born out by the PPI, nearly flawless cosmetically) and all the stuff you want...I'd do the PPI and jump on it if it checks out. FWIW, I think the GTS interior is well worth it and a great differentiator for these cars.

Last edited by fuhrius; 06-15-2022 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-15-2022, 03:49 PM
Newusername
Rennlist Member

Received 319 Likes on 126 Posts

I just bought a 29000km 2014 Cayman S 6 speed with virtually no options other than sport seats, GT steering wheel and convenience package for 69K Canadian. In this market it was 10-20K cheaper than every other Manual Cayman S/GTS.
Drove it back home from Montreal on Monday (986km's). I think you did well at 55K.

Name:  RpKDdefh.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  138.2 KB
Old 06-16-2022, 02:03 PM
Sharkiez
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts

Do you guys think prices will start to come down over the next few months now that the free money printing is over?
Old 06-16-2022, 02:33 PM
OLY-S
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

FWIW as a point of comparison... in late 2018, I purchased a '15 981 CS PDK in Guards Red -- nicely optioned but no PSAM or Sport Chrono -- that had 6800 miles on the clock and paid $56K and change.

The following 2 users liked this post by OLY-S:
Newusername (06-16-2022), Randy_B (03-25-2023)
Old 06-16-2022, 10:53 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 902 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharkiez
Do you guys think prices will start to come down over the next few months now that the free money printing is over?

the free money printing has been over for awhile now....it's the supply and demand issues(mostly supply) and regular old fashioned inflation that a driving the prices these days.

I don't see prices falling anytime soon and probably increasing to tell you the truth.... The Cayman/Boxter still represent great value in the Porsche brand even at todays prices
Old 06-16-2022, 11:00 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 902 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by OLY-S
FWIW as a point of comparison... in late 2018, I purchased a '15 981 CS PDK in Guards Red -- nicely optioned but no PSAM or Sport Chrono -- that had 6800 miles on the clock and paid $56K and change.
I bought my 2014 Cayman S PDK with X73 and much more with 42,000 miles in 2019 for $45.500......sold it a couple weeks ago with 52.500 miles for $51,000...probably could have got more, but I liked the buyer and I had my eye on another Cayman 718 6MT that I didn't want to get away.

It all worked out great!

Old 06-18-2022, 04:34 PM
dmcc
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought my 2014 Cayman S MT three years ago. Installed PSE myself this year with no issues except the dealer shorted me a vacuum line splitter, which they promptly corrected.

In summary, I still giggle like a little girl every time I drive it! Happy driving to those buying these outstanding mid- engines!
Old 03-25-2023, 11:46 AM
RAGS911
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Just got a 2016 Cayman S

Originally Posted by Joe Biker
If you like the car the price really shouldn’t matter a 918 will hold it’s value over a 718 unless it’s a GT4.
I finally found the car I was searching for
I just bought a 2015 GTS w PDK with 31k and it is a CPO plus I have all the service record.
They wanted 78k I offered 72k plus they gave me 6k over what I payed for my trade.
Got the color combo I wanted !!!!
Plus I made them give me the Porsche wheel and tire for 5 years,
Did I get a deal yes did I get a great deal no but
I have been looking for a 981 got a few years.
Currently there are no steals to be made.
Supply and demand control the prices!!!

This is my new ride
Congrats!! Looks great. I just got a 2016 Cayman S. PDK, Sport Exhaust, Chrono P, 20” wheels and 18.8K, one owner, $58K and I am enjoying the heck out of it

The following users liked this post:
Kevin CS (03-25-2023)
Old 03-25-2023, 08:45 PM
Quix
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastguy412
I have a '14 Cayman S 6sp MT. Its looks like you're getting a good deal IMO. MT's are hard to find. Enjoy it! The cars are an absolute blast.

Mine does have Sport Chrono, Sport/Sport+ and I had a dealer install PSE. For me, they are the #1 best options in the world. The auto rev matching you get with Sport/Sport+ makes driving the MT pure bliss, especially on track. Not to say you won't have a ton of fun heal toeing it, but boy is the auto rev nice! I think there are some aftermarket auto rev products you can get too. I think Sport/Sport+ also change the throttle mapping to make a feel a bit punchier too. An aftermarket tune can take care of that too I think.

Here's all I have to say about PSE...

Have fun!
Sport Chrono Sport+ mode also lets you slide a little more in the corners before the nannies kick in. Agree that it is really nice to have for a MT if you are going to the track, as is X73.
The following users liked this post:
Jim Cobb (03-26-2023)
Old 03-26-2023, 10:57 PM
Jim Cobb
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Quix
Sport Chrono Sport+ mode also lets you slide a little more in the corners before the nannies kick in. Agree that it is really nice to have for a MT if you are going to the track, as is X73.
I’d go so far as to suggest that the throttle blip function makes Sport Chrono a must if you serious plan to track it. You will never come close to it, regardless of how well you master heel/toe.

Quick Reply: Sanity check on 981 purchase