Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's recommended for this little-used but ignored 2013 BS

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2022, 11:46 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by MartinD18
OK, I'm the OP, and here is what a very well-respected indy shop owner suggested, and I quote, "might service oil, brake fluid, coolant, serpentine belt, axles, check codes and reset."

I did not respond yet and ask about the belt, whether it would be "check" or replace. And as far as axles, I am presuming axle seals, something my 986 needed attention to, in the 21 years I owned it.

So what do you think?
Oil & brake fluid make sense, not sure I'd mess with the coolant at 19K miles and 9 years. According to the maint. schedule I have, there is no official service interval for the coolant.. Now I'm not one to believe in 'lifetime fluids' for most anything, but IMO replacing it at 9 years and 19K miles is not necessary.

Belt is up to you, I am at 50K miles and 8 years and have not done mine yet.. but it wouldn't hurt to check it and replace if necessary. Maint schedule says to check it at 4 and 10 years or at 40k miles.

For the axles, yeah just check them to make sure they are not leaking/torn boots/etc.

Old 02-17-2022, 12:12 PM
tomekz
Racer

Received 310 Likes on 120 Posts

I have noticed that people read but don't actually understand what they are reading or have very short attention span !

Just deal with a guy on a Facebook group asking if he should get the 2014 Cayman S or the 2016 Cayman GTS..

some people started telling him to get the GTS because it's got turbos - completely ignoring that he said 2016 GTS LOL

Originally Posted by TMc993
Because automotive discussion boards in general and Rennlist in particular have devolved into nothing more that brand-specific Facebook sites. People generally don't read questions in detail, almost never read the posted responses before posting their response and jump right to whatever is on their mind at the moment when they respond, often not touching on the original topic. The result is that what used to be a fairly solid technical discussion/help site has become something only a little better than Twitter.
Old 02-17-2022, 12:19 PM
BondJ
Pro

Received 340 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by tomekz
I have noticed that people read but don't actually understand what they are reading or have very short attention span !

Just deal with a guy on a Facebook group asking if he should get the 2014 Cayman S or the 2016 Cayman GTS..

some people started telling him to get the GTS because it's got turbos - completely ignoring that he said 2016 GTS LOL
Lol….says the third guy posting off-topic to comment on posting off-topic! Easy to do, isn’t it?
Old 02-17-2022, 02:23 PM
tomekz
Racer

to a point you are right, but at least I wasn't answering/commenting to his post directly with incorrect information. lol

Originally Posted by BondJ
Lol….says the third guy posting off-topic to comment on posting off-topic! Easy to do, isn’t it?
Old 02-17-2022, 02:56 PM
BondJ
Pro

Originally Posted by tomekz
to a point you are right, but at least I wasn't answering/commenting to his post directly with incorrect information. lol
I was attempting to explain where the ‘thrash it’ advice may have originated. If you feel anything I said contains ‘incorrect information’ please provide details. Maybe we can all learn something. I’m always up for that.
Old 02-17-2022, 03:11 PM
tomekz
Racer

LOL.

"If you feel anything I said contains ‘incorrect information’ please provide details." I guess you made my point too.... that people read one thing and think something else.

I was referring to my own statement that I made, not something you said. I said, that my comment, even though not exactly on point to the original poster, was not posted to answer his question with in correct information. I was replying to the comment that TMc993 made. I even made an example where someone was asking about a 2014 S and 2016 Cayman GTS, and someone started replying that the GTS is better because it has 'turbos'. No turbos on 2016 GTS's.

I was attempting to explain where the ‘thrash it’ advice may have originated. If you feel anything I said contains ‘incorrect information’ please provide details. Maybe we can all learn something. I’m always up for that.
Old 02-17-2022, 03:19 PM
BondJ
Pro

Understood. I think maybe we all have to accept that threads will ‘evolve’ and go off-topic. They certainly do all across this site!
The following users liked this post:
tomekz (02-17-2022)
Old 02-17-2022, 04:42 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

This is well documented. The problem is oil ingested into the PCV system. The DFI engine ‘cooks’ the back of the inlet valve. Because fuel is injected beyond the inlet valves there is no ‘washing’ to help keep them clean so oil is baked onto the back-side. Porsche’s solution to its crappy oil separation design was to increase the oil temperature. I’m guessing this is why the ‘thrash it’ advice is given. Problem is, higher rpm only draws more mist through the badly designed system which created the problem in the first place. Whatever, none of this is devastating.
Some have suggested the ‘old-school’ advice to thrash the motor or fit heavier weight oil is only given because there is no actual solution. I tend to agree.
exactly right. Carbon build up on modern non-DfI cars is minimal anyway and beating on a DFI engine won't do anything for carbon build up anyway. If it did, bmw N54 and Audi 4.2 owners would not be walnut blasting their **** constantly.
The following users liked this post:
Titanium5150 (02-17-2022)
Old 02-18-2022, 10:13 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Thats BS. And on top of it, if someone shifted at 6800 all the time, they aren't babying the car, but the overrevs would show zero. Its not a carbureted fiat from 1960
I defer to you the expert of all things Porsche.

Last edited by okie981; 02-18-2022 at 10:23 AM.

Quick Reply: What's recommended for this little-used but ignored 2013 BS