Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Cayman GTS Review

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2022, 07:41 PM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 217 Posts
Default 981 Cayman GTS Review

C A Y M A N - G T S

Track Review: Yep…just a lame old Gayman, not even a gt4. Obviously street tires PS4S aren’t made for the track & OEM brake pads aren’t up to the task, lots of fade and inconsistent braking. But with those in consideration what a blast! Time: 1:58 BW C13…It’s a toy, meaning it’s fun to toss around and sort of inflatable in its handling characteristics. Understeer easily fixed with adjustments or by hooning. Oversteers was never unexpected and only induced by yours truly. Where the car shines is turn in and ability to hold speed mid turn w/ mild understeer. Car was neutral overall. Put the power down well, not like a 911 but not that you’d expect that as it wants to go in hotter as well. Steering was extremely precise, very good feedback on track from the steering (doesn’t haven’t the old 911 steering on street and the electric systems wash out the imperfections of the street). This GTS has the X73 & PTV option. X73 is the stiffer, non adjustable suspension (no spasm). PTV = Porsche Torque Vectoring which is the only way to get a Limited Slip Differential from Porsche. So you could say it’s the most sporting spec before GT4. I stated weeks ago i had more fun in this on the street than the GT4 i drove and what that means is being on street tires is more fun as less grip on the street can be more fun, the car is a bit softer, bumper sticks out less so less to worry about. All normal stuff that separates track oriented cars from street cars. I do think with Equal tires and brake pads this car would only be 1-2 seconds behind a 981 GT4.

The following 7 users liked this post by DD GT3 RD:
Hyped (02-28-2022), IndigoInkTaco (02-09-2022), lottadot (03-01-2022), MarkPcar (02-21-2022), Paul Quilter (02-09-2022), R-M-C (02-21-2022), tomekz (02-08-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-21-2022, 05:56 PM
R-M-C
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

There is no lame version of the GTS with the X73 suspension. Anyway, what tires are you running? I had the OEMs on mine, but last year moved to the current generation of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and found that the grip and tactility are greatly improved.
The following users liked this post:
Rogon55 (04-15-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 08:26 PM
shawfm
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts

Our GTS with X73, PTV, Cobb and Cargraphics has been a blast. We do have current PS4S on it which has helped. Better brakes and more engine are in the future depending on the outcome of a car we ordered. If we like the new car we will sell this and so ends the 981.
Old 02-28-2022, 02:20 AM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by R-M-C
There is no lame version of the GTS with the X73 suspension. Anyway, what tires are you running? I had the OEMs on mine, but last year moved to the current generation of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and found that the grip and tactility are greatly improved.
also have on ps4s. Great for street but not quite track tires.

Originally Posted by shawfm
Our GTS with X73, PTV, Cobb and Cargraphics has been a blast. We do have current PS4S on it which has helped. Better brakes and more engine are in the future depending on the outcome of a car we ordered. If we like the new car we will sell this and so ends the 981.
brakes and tires a must!
Old 02-28-2022, 12:56 PM
Cliff3
Instructor

Received 265 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD
brakes and tires a must!
Definitely. I'll be breaking a new set of PSC2's this weekend with the PCA up at Thunderhill. These tires replaced some RE71R tires that are now discontinued. I've been running Ferodo DS3.12 pads since last summer for both street and track and they have been excellent. A little squeaky on the street, but much quieter than the Pagid RSL29 pads that I have run on other cars, and excellent on track.

Loved your BW CW13 video. I need to work on raising my corner entry speeds because it is clear that I am leaving a LOT of time on the table.
The following users liked this post:
DD GT3 RD (03-01-2022)
Old 02-28-2022, 01:01 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 477 Likes on 347 Posts

Great car for the track without the extreme cost of a GT4 or GT3, but not cheap. Delicate balance between making the car more track ready and still streetable. IMO a separate set of wheels and tire are needed. PS4S are OK for a few beginner weekends. I'm happy with my Flow One wheels and Hankook RS4s from Tire Rack. Most track pads squeak, but if bedded not unbearable. The additional negative camber from adjustable LCAs will cause inside tire wear if you DD or otherwise have a lot of street miles. Brake caliper studs should be a priority. Too easy to damage the aluminum threads when changing the front brake pads.

Getting instruction on the track is the first priority.

Set of 18s and tires like Hankook RS4s. Other better tires for times but won't last like RS4s
Sebro slotted from FCPEuro that you can warranty
Motul 660 or equivalent high temp brake IMO SRF is too expensive and only slightly better than 660.
Adjustable LCAs for more negative camber on the front to save left front tire edge wear.
Have a set of Pagid RS29s for this year. Wore out Ferodo DS1.11s in six track days. Many other good track pads.
Tarett brake caliper studs to save the aluminum threads from the steel bolts
PPF for the nose, half hood, side air intakes and behind rear wheels. You will eventually get a few rock chips and pits on the windshield

Lastly without headers and a tune a GTS will not keep up with a GT4

The following 2 users liked this post by Kitc2246:
DD GT3 RD (03-01-2022), lottadot (03-01-2022)
Old 03-01-2022, 02:44 AM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cliff3
Definitely. I'll be breaking a new set of PSC2's this weekend with the PCA up at Thunderhill. These tires replaced some RE71R tires that are now discontinued. I've been running Ferodo DS3.12 pads since last summer for both street and track and they have been excellent. A little squeaky on the street, but much quieter than the Pagid RSL29 pads that I have run on other cars, and excellent on track.

Loved your BW CW13 video. I need to work on raising my corner entry speeds because it is clear that I am leaving a LOT of time on the table.

thx. That was my first time tracking a cayman but from some years in different 911 (my other car is 996gt3) and many front engine cars, viper, vettes…I knew before even going on track I said to myself reset your brain and go in HOT 😂 even on canyon drives damn thing asks to go in hot. Likes entry speed way more.

Quick Reply: 981 Cayman GTS Review