Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone have a video on how to drop the oil pan, etc?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2022, 12:08 PM
tomekz
Racer

Received 310 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Does anyone have a video on how to drop the oil pan, etc?

I was thinking of dropping the oil pan and doing a doing some bore scoping of the cylinders,

has anyone done that vs the spark plug way?

Old 01-29-2022, 11:20 PM
chaos2984
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Any reason you need to look? Also what are you looking for? Do you want to look at the piston skirts or are you looking at the cylinder walls?

If you want to see the walls just remove the plugs.
Old 01-29-2022, 11:33 PM
tomekz
Racer

Yes want to look at the walls, however going via the plugs doesn't show the whole picture. Bore scoring starts below what you can see via the plugs hole.

Originally Posted by chaos2984
Any reason you need to look? Also what are you looking for? Do you want to look at the piston skirts or are you looking at the cylinder walls?

If you want to see the walls just remove the plugs.
Old 01-30-2022, 03:08 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

How does your UOA look? Any specific causes for concern?
Old 01-30-2022, 11:12 AM
tomekz
Racer

Have not done the UOA yet, that was the plan on the next oil change.

Currently, there are no concerns with the way the car is running etc, however, I am at this point just curious what the condition of the cylinder walls is looking like.

Since I have to do an oil change in about 2000 miles, may as well drop the oil pan and check it out.

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
How does your UOA look? Any specific causes for concern?
Old 01-30-2022, 04:59 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

I think I'd wait for the UOA before physically disassembling anything, speaking as someone who usually manages to lose a screw or three in the process. So far there haven't been a lot of reports of bore-scoring with the 9A1 engines.
Old 01-30-2022, 05:58 PM
tomekz
Racer

Maybe you are right. Maybe I will do the UOA during the next oil change drop the pan next time if anything comes from it. I will be doing oil changes every 5 miles so I can do it next time.

I do have a ticking sound but some people told me it's normal. Recently I have met a master technician at a local Porsche dealership, he said he will listen to the engine and tell me if it's normal and sounds like every other Cayman. Meeting with him on Tuesday.

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
I think I'd wait for the UOA before physically disassembling anything, speaking as someone who usually manages to lose a screw or three in the process. So far there haven't been a lot of reports of bore-scoring with the 9A1 engines.
Old 01-31-2022, 12:57 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 357 Posts

I agree, with NF, I wouldn't go looking for problems, much less taking off the oil pan unless I had a good reason to.

My UOA looks fine, I get one every oil change... I drive the car at the track a few times a fear, so it's certainly not babied.

Relax.. enjoy your car..

Old 01-31-2022, 08:26 AM
tomekz
Racer

You are right, will go with the oil analysis first. I am due for plugs by the end of the year, so will at least look at the cylinders via the spark plug hole when doing that.

Originally Posted by saabin
I agree, with NF, I wouldn't go looking for problems, much less taking off the oil pan unless I had a good reason to.

My UOA looks fine, I get one every oil change... I drive the car at the track a few times a fear, so it's certainly not babied.

Relax.. enjoy your car..

Quick Reply: Does anyone have a video on how to drop the oil pan, etc?