Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overfill fix: Carvana put too much Mobil 1 in

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2022, 01:10 PM
MartinD18
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is some background. I'm 77, this car is a Florida car, for my winter-only home, one with a garage so tight I've barely room for a tennis racquet on the wall, with the car pulled in. I own lots of tools and equipment but it is all at the summer home, three days drive from here. I need a local fix done by a shop. I'm never gonna wrench this car. I'm done with lying on creepers. I just want to drive to the tiki bar on the waterfront, maybe motor down to Key West, or up to Cedar Key. I like washing and detailing. See my thread about ceramic.

Jack-ramps are $50, a breaker bar plus filter wrench plus torque wrench is another $30, I've no toolbox in which to keep anything, and no room for one if I had one.

This morning, and this was the sixth shop I have spoken to about this, shop one being the Porsche dealership, I found a savvy guy at a Tire Kingdom that knows the 981, and will do this for free, tomorrow at 10. He sees a lot of Porsches. So my saga ends tomorrow.

In this town Porsches are as common as F150 4x4s in Green Bay. We've dealerships for Ferrari, Bentley, Rolls Royce, and Performance Motorsports is selling Lotus, McLaren, Lamborghini, and more, with one of the biggest inventory of $300K sports cars in the country. It was a shock to me to find out how recalcitrant and uncooperative all the shops were to address my problem. I'm glad it's almost over, with a solution in sight.

Last edited by MartinD18; 01-31-2022 at 02:44 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by MartinD18:
ICNU (01-31-2022), okie981 (01-31-2022), Titanium5150 (01-31-2022)
Old 01-31-2022, 04:27 PM
maschinetheist
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by mgweatherly
This is the [Porsche] way.
If you’re not stressing out about every single noise behind your ears on the 981, then you’re doing the Porsche thing wrong. I swear these cars sometimes cause more stress than there really needs to be…and in the end the car is fine.

I kid, I kid. Sometimes we overanalyze and overstress. I guess it just comes with the brand. I’m going to stop worrying and learn to love the bomb.
The following 2 users liked this post by maschinetheist:
ICNU (01-31-2022), Titanium5150 (01-31-2022)
Old 03-09-2022, 02:23 PM
9 lives
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Bit of an odd situation happened last night that got me thinking about this thread....

changed the oil myself last sept (1000km ago)...oil level was one bar below max. All good.

Went out for a spin last night and after everything was all up to temp...got into it a bit...up flashes the message Oil Overfilled possibly over Max...Possible to drive.

I have no problem putting the car up and taking out a cap full or two...but...will that message clear itself (similar to a self correcting gas cap CEL) or will it haunt me until my next oil change ?
Old 03-09-2022, 02:38 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by 9 lives
Bit of an odd situation happened last night that got me thinking about this thread....

changed the oil myself last sept (1000km ago)...oil level was one bar below max. All good.

Went out for a spin last night and after everything was all up to temp...got into it a bit...up flashes the message Oil Overfilled possibly over Max...Possible to drive.

I have no problem putting the car up and taking out a cap full or two...but...will that message clear itself (similar to a self correcting gas cap CEL) or will it haunt me until my next oil change ?
Open the trunk lid for at least 45 seconds, then close it and take the car for a normal drive cycle that includes some highway driving. Drive for at least 25 minutes. The oil level display and measurement algorithm will reset due to the trunk being open and the drive cycle will generate a fresh reading of oil level. Check new level reading with car parked on level ground. The 25-minute drive also serves to get the oil up to full stabilized operating temp for most accurate level reading.

An unlikely cause of high oil level after reading normal for 1,000 km might be significant short trip driving causing moisture buildup in the oil content or, god forbid, an internal coolant leak. Check coolant level is stable and take the car for long drives on a regular basis to cook the moisture out of the oil.

Last edited by okie981; 03-09-2022 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-09-2022, 02:54 PM
9 lives
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

very good...It has been sitting for a better part of the winter with the odd nice day run around town.
thanks
Old 03-09-2022, 03:19 PM
6mmamer
Advanced

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

My last oil change I did the same thing. When cool (sports mode) I get one bar from full. Turn off the Sports mode then when oil temp gets to 220+ I sometimes get the fault light. No rhyme or reason as to when but it is temperature sensitive. I was at the Werks reunion this past weekend and you would think at 80 degree air temp it would set off the fault. Only happened once the whole trip.
Old 03-10-2022, 09:01 AM
DonJuan
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I changed my oil two weeks ago with exact amount. And last night (2 weeks later) over fill light came on

Quick Reply: Overfill fix: Carvana put too much Mobil 1 in