Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone install Suncoast 981 Rear Suspension Reinforcement Strut?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2022, 05:03 PM
guillaume2007
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Where can I get the extended bolts and caps? Bought this from another member but it just came with the strut. Parts numbers are welcome

Last edited by guillaume2007; 09-01-2022 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09-02-2022, 02:31 PM
Jim981CS
Pro

Received 279 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by guillaume2007
Where can I get the extended bolts and caps? Bought this from another member but it just came with the strut. Parts numbers are welcome

I also purchased a used Suncoast brace from a forum member but fortunately it included the caps and longer bolts. The correct Bearing clamps are 98133377701 but I do not know the part number for the longer bolts. You should be able to download the PET for the 718 and look up those part numbers.
Jim
Old 09-03-2022, 04:32 AM
brauhaus
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kisik
Can you guys educate what is all about? Who would benefit from this Rear Support? Any reports of failures if no action is taken especially for heavy track use?
It stiffens the rear end. Takes up some flex and in turn makes the rear suspension feel stiffer/more responsive. I noticed it also changed the sound of the exhaust and caused more road noise to be transmitted into the cabin. I wasn't expecting the former at all but wasn't that surprised by the latter. After taking the brace off it was immediately apparent as the cause of both. Nobody else has mentioned this so perhaps to some it isn't that noticeable and not a big deal.

The brace isn't a remedial part for failures on track or elsewhere.
Old 09-03-2022, 09:45 AM
guillaume2007
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim981CS
I also purchased a used Suncoast brace from a forum member but fortunately it included the caps and longer bolts. The correct Bearing clamps are 98133377701 but I do not know the part number for the longer bolts. You should be able to download the PET for the 718 and look up those part numbers.
Jim
Thanks a lot! Exactly what I was looking for.
Old 09-08-2022, 08:02 PM
Ernest72
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 117 Posts

So for a street driven car this will not likely do much correct? Only because I have a disease of modding cars to the point the NVH can become annoying for limited benefit for spirited driving on the road. For example, I am in the process of replacing urethane bushings for hard rubber on my 04 WRX wagon because I just can’t take the bad roads we have. Should have never done it, but as stated I can go to far sometimes. Maybe I am getting soft now that I turned 50.
This bar is something I would like to do, but the car feels great as is. So don’t want to add NVH if I am barely gonna feel it. Thanks.
Old 09-08-2022, 08:22 PM
brauhaus
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

You'll feel the difference and the noise I noticed isn't anywhere near the terrible NVH caused by poly bushings. I hate poly bushings. As far as outright performance benefits, I'd say it's more of a feel thing as spring and swaybar rates don't change. The rear end just feels tighter. It's more like adding a shock tower bar or underbody chassis brace. I think they're still selling for fairly cheap these days. Not too expensive and an easy install if you just want to experiment.
The following users liked this post:
Ernest72 (09-08-2022)
Old 12-06-2022, 02:58 PM
torvektheo
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

You can get all from Suncoast. Here is a video I made when I did this installation and swapped my rear sway bar too.

The following 2 users liked this post by torvektheo:
ElCid86 (12-06-2022), Stratocaster (07-09-2024)
Old 12-07-2022, 09:20 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by brauhaus
It stiffens the rear end. Takes up some flex and in turn makes the rear suspension feel stiffer/more responsive. I noticed it also changed the sound of the exhaust and caused more road noise to be transmitted into the cabin. I wasn't expecting the former at all but wasn't that surprised by the latter. After taking the brace off it was immediately apparent as the cause of both. Nobody else has mentioned this so perhaps to some it isn't that noticeable and not a big deal.

The brace isn't a remedial part for failures on track or elsewhere.
Originally Posted by brauhaus
You'll feel the difference and the noise I noticed isn't anywhere near the terrible NVH caused by poly bushings. I hate poly bushings. As far as outright performance benefits, I'd say it's more of a feel thing as spring and swaybar rates don't change. The rear end just feels tighter. It's more like adding a shock tower bar or underbody chassis brace. I think they're still selling for fairly cheap these days. Not too expensive and an easy install if you just want to experiment.
In my Boxster S, I detected no difference in sound level because of adding the brace to the rear sway bar mounts. I used the 718 style pan and brace that I posted a parts diagram of earlier in this thread. I also detected no difference in handling on track during DE events with this brace. Not saying it's not worth doing, just saying I couldn't detect anything different that I could absolutely say wasn't placebo effect. I suspect what this brace does more than anything is reduce flexing of the toe links mounting point thereby reducing changes in toe-in setting as the rear suspension is loaded by hard cornering. When I retired my Boxster from track life, this brace is the only track upgrade item I left installed on the car and will keep installed. Having said that, if I had not been tracking the car, I would have never added this brace. Not worth it for just street use, IMO. The 981 cars have a tendency to wiggle their ***-end under heavy braking from high speed, for example entry of T12 at COTA where my car typically was hitting 140 to 142 mph when max braking is applied. That's why most people have a little more on the high side of spec for toe in on the rear wheels of 981 cars when they are seriously tracking them. Having more toe in rather than less helps minimize the rear end movement under heavy braking at high speed. If I was a more experienced driver on track, maybe I could have positively identified how this brace helped improve handling. I can say for sure it didn't hurt handling, and Porsche didn't put it on the GT4 and 718 cars just because they thought it looked cool.

Last edited by okie981; 12-07-2022 at 09:22 AM. Reason: typo
ElCid86 (12-07-2022)
Old 12-16-2022, 04:54 PM
Ernest72
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 117 Posts

Sorry been awhile. Installed in October, drilled the pan. Car feels tighter. No increase in NVH. Worth it.
thecajunboy (12-17-2022)

Quick Reply: Anyone install Suncoast 981 Rear Suspension Reinforcement Strut?