Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS issue on '16 Cayman

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2021, 10:58 PM
itsoilcooled
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ABS issue on '16 Cayman

Very new to posting on forums here.
I suppose I just never got with the program so please forgive me for any forum faux pas!

Im currently working on a 2016 Cayman base PDK (45K miles) with a very strange issue while braking.
Under normal driving conditions the vehicle feels great. A nice firm pedal, no PSM fault on cluster, and no codes stored in any modules at this time.

At slow speed, hard braking will lock up the front wheels. The car will slide as long as the pedal is pressed as if the ABS system isn't working at all.
At higher speeds, the same experience and the rear of the vehicle seems to want to come around on the right side. (Probably just due to the crown of the road, but worth mentioning)

No warnings, faults, or codes stored at this point either.

So far here is what I have tried:

-Flushing brake fluid normally with ATE SL
-ABS bleed with ATE SL with a pressure bleeder on the reservoir
-Locking up system repetitively and then immediately trying both bleeding procedures again.
-Rotating all wheels on the lift to see what the proportioning is like - (All are fairly even except for left rear wheel, it will continue turning while all others have stopped, but eventually will stop if more braking force is applied)
-Lifting the rear of the car to let any air in the system out of the rear calipers.

I have heard the abs pump work, verified all speed sensors are working properly, checked live data for any other sensors I can think of that would effect this system and everything looks ok.
I have not had any communication issues with the car while on the scanner. Durametric seems to stop at '15 for the 981, but both Autel MaxisysUltra and Durametric seems to show me any information I would want to see.
I would love to get my hands on a genuine piwis, but that seems to be easier said than done.

I work on many Pcars (Old/New) and have never come this close to giving up on a problem. I figured I would reach out to the world of enthusiast for any helpful advice before replacing the ABS lunar module.

Has anyone with a 981 ever experienced ABS issues during their time owning/driving?

Quick Reply: ABS issue on '16 Cayman