Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator screens really needed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2022, 09:26 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by FINZ
I recently put on the Radiator Grill Store fronts and am not happy with the zip tie fastening.
I’ve used Zunsport before, is their fitment and install good on the 981?
Looking at the Rennline grills. Is there justification for that price and bumper removal to install?

Bill
Regarding Zunsports, fit is good. Look at post #2 where I posted a picture of my car with the Zunsports.
The following users liked this post:
FINZ (02-11-2022)
Old 02-09-2022, 03:30 PM
125shifter
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

I got a rock in an A/C coil at my last track day. I went ahead and added a third radiator while I had the bumper off to replace the coil.

Once it was all fixed, I put Zunsport grills on. Seem like much better quality than alternatives.
Old 02-09-2022, 09:28 PM
ledbette
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts

I had to zip-tie the Zunsport side grilles in the lower segment. I contacted Zunsport when I first got them about how I didn't think they were secured very well, and they said they should be fine, but I zip-tied them anyway. After I got my car back from having the front clip fixed/repainted a couple months ago, I put the grilles back on, but didn't have time to put the zip ties back on the lower segment pieces. I ended up losing one of them during a drive a few days later.

I contacted Zunsport and they provided a free replacement. They actually had to re-fabricate the replacement because they didn't have any spares in stock. They FedEx'ed the replacement to me from England at no cost. Great customer service!

I went ahead and zip-tied the replacement!
Old 02-09-2022, 11:24 PM
jago
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Zuns are good but be sure the clips are very firmly secured to the back of the bumper lip,
especially the big center one.
you must position the grille into the opening then pull back toward you so the whole clip is on the lip.
i used needle nose pliers to pull them also.
after any long ride tap on them and if they are at all loose, tighten immediately by pulling or they'll go.
Old 02-10-2022, 10:57 AM
amurph182
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 71 Posts

I put the zunsport grills (front and sides) on my car the week I got it. Installation on the first half of the car took me a bit and was kind of tricky, installation on the second half of the car took minutes. I track the car heavily and have never had a heat related issue, temps seem to be comparable to what others see on track. I never tracked it without the grills so I have no idea what impact they have on actual temps but I can say for sure that they have not caused a problem. The cost of the grills plus install time compared to the cost and install of a radiator made it a no brainer to me. Is it really necessary? I have no idea.
Old 02-11-2022, 04:01 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,304 Likes on 888 Posts

Same story here, lost one of the Zunsport grilles somewhere.

They look great, and the customer service is world-class. I literally couldn't force them to let me pay for the replacement grille. But the fact is that they will never be truly secure without zip-tying them or otherwise fastening them independently of their metal tabs. The front fascia is plastic, so of course it's going to flex.
The following users liked this post:
ledbette (02-11-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 01:31 PM
Strat_928
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Take some temps while driving a known road, then check them after install, same ambient temperature and relative asphalt temp. I doubt you will see much diff if at all and certainly within Porsche specs. And certainly cheaper than replacing a hole in your radiators. I got the Radiator Grill Store kit with 3 for the front and the 2 side intakes. After 2-3 years, I have not noticed any issue. If you are tracking, then your results may vary, but I did have 2 track days with mine and no issues noticed.

Quick Reply: Radiator screens really needed?