Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

718 4 way seats into 981: Airbag Light Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2021, 03:09 PM
Tommy L Garage
Rennlist Member

Received 560 Likes on 208 Posts
Default 718 4 way seats into 981: Airbag Light Issue

I recently purchased these lovely 718 seats from Europe and had them shipped. I noticed the drivers side connector was missing the pins for seatbelt buckle so I swapped it from my original seat - easy enough. The passenger side had it already in place so I didn’t need to do it.

I started the car and got an airbag light. Checked all my connections and I’m all okay. Any idea what the issue is? Do I need these seats somehow coded into my 981? Please help!

Thanks in advance

Left new Right old

Old 11-09-2021, 04:44 PM
Tommy L Garage
Rennlist Member

Okay I figured it out.
swapped the position sensor and ordered occupancy sensors.
Old 11-09-2021, 06:42 PM
ncster
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts

Can't help with the problem (though I see you already solved it) but very interested in how the upgrade works for you. I have 14-way sports seats and found a friend's sports seats plus to be a major step up.

Are the seats new or used? Ballpark on how much you paid?

Looking forward to the video!
Old 11-09-2021, 07:21 PM
Tommy L Garage
Rennlist Member

So all is solved except seer occupancy sensor. I swapped the module on the passenger side and wire harness but I believe I need to have it programmed by the dealer.

Does anyone know if European seats have occupancy sensors?

oh and seats were slightly used from a European 718 which I found on European eBay. Took me 3 months to get them in
Old 11-09-2021, 08:07 PM
dav9515
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

did you swap the Occupancy sensor from your stock seats into the 718 seats or just swap the passenger/driver seat sensors in the 718 seats since the US is left hand drive vs. Right hand drive in Europe (so the sensors would be in our passenger seats on the right and the opposite for the European seats)?
Old 11-09-2021, 09:01 PM
Tommy L Garage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dav9515
did you swap the Occupancy sensor from your stock seats into the 718 seats or just swap the passenger/driver seat sensors in the 718 seats since the US is left hand drive vs. Right hand drive in Europe (so the sensors would be in our passenger seats on the right and the opposite for the European seats)?
not all Europe is right hand drive. Actually a vast majority is left hand drive

I swapped the occupancy sensor and pouch from my old seats into the new ones. I mounted them under the seat, zip-tied for added pressure so it thinks someone is sitting it it so the airbag is always on. Im the rare instance where I have a booster seat I’ll just cut the zip ties and the airbag will be off.

this was a crazy intense project. I didn’t anticipate it to be this time consuming. But after extracting the wire harness from my old seats, re-pinning some plugs and extracting the occupancy sensor I am finally done and loving the result!

anyone local want to buy my original seats? Passenger side will have a missing harness and no occupancy sensor.

The donor seat. Looks worse than it looks. If no ones buys them I’ll just convert them into garage seats

This was totally with it!
The following 3 users liked this post by Tommy L Garage:
Gotshotgun (11-09-2021), KB614 (11-22-2021), Kevin CS (11-10-2021)
Old 11-10-2021, 12:11 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 357 Posts

Nice work there Tommy.

Like how you can tackle the mechanical projects as well as get your hands dirty on these electronic projects, too!

Most DIYers like one or the other.. I dabble in both as well

I have the same seats and agree they are a big upgrade..

Old 11-10-2021, 09:14 AM
dav9515
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Nice work they do look great! And i didnt mean to imply ALL european seats are from right hand drive cars was more asking if that was the case because these ones were.

So do 718 U.S. seats swap in without issue? was this more of a 718 compatibility issue or European seat issue? I have the 14 way base seats in mine and would love to upgrade to some 18-way sport seats.

Thanks
Old 11-10-2021, 09:47 AM
Tommy L Garage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dav9515
Nice work they do look great! And i didnt mean to imply ALL european seats are from right hand drive cars was more asking if that was the case because these ones were.

So do 718 U.S. seats swap in without issue? was this more of a 718 compatibility issue or European seat issue? I have the 14 way base seats in mine and would love to upgrade to some 18-way sport seats.

Thanks
oh yes - US to US seats will swap without issue.
Problem is finding the seats at a reasonable price is close to impossible. That’s why I ended up getting the Euro version ones and after “sacrificing” my original seats for donor parts I think I still made out okay and will now have cool garage seats too! Haha

Quick Reply: 718 4 way seats into 981: Airbag Light Issue