Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checking oil level

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2021, 09:58 AM
bcgreen
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Checking oil level

I had an oil change awhile back, 5 mos., before storing for the summer and got back to driving again and noticed when I wanted to check the oil level it would not give me the picture of the amt. of oil. This was after 15 min. of driving.
I am thinking because when the oil was changed 'Service Now' was not reset and therefore the reason why I am not getting a reading of the oil level.
2013 Boxster
Old 11-07-2021, 10:05 AM
ICNU
Pro

Received 412 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by bcgreen
I had an oil change awhile back, 5 mos., before storing for the summer and got back to driving again and noticed when I wanted to check the oil level it would not give me the picture of the amt. of oil. This was after 15 min. of driving.
I am thinking because when the oil was changed 'Service Now' was not reset and therefore the reason why I am not getting a reading of the oil level.
2013 Boxster
That's normal after an oil change on the 981. Opening the rear hatch for more than 45 seconds clears the data, and then the car needs to be driven and fully warmed up before new data is displayed. The new reading may come fairly quickly once the car is warmed up, however its also possible that you see the "no info available" message for quite a while in some cases. I've had to drive mine for 30 miles after being warmed up before, but the data will eventually appear.

The oil readings on the 981 are complex and not the same rules as previous models. There are a lot or pre-requisites that must be met, otherwise the data it is showing you will not be current and just the data that was there the last time all pre-requisites were met. In other words letting the car sit overnight does not give a new reading when cold the following morning. You are just looking at yesterdays data when it was hot. Attached is a document explaining these "rules" for the 981 GTS, but it applies to all 981 models
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Cayman Oil Sensor Info (1).pdf (137.8 KB, 201 views)

Last edited by ICNU; 11-07-2021 at 10:07 AM.
Old 11-07-2021, 10:31 AM
bcgreen
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ICNU
That's normal after an oil change on the 981. Opening the rear hatch for more than 45 seconds clears the data, and then the car needs to be driven and fully warmed up before new data is displayed. The new reading may come fairly quickly once the car is warmed up, however its also possible that you see the "no info available" message for quite a while in some cases. I've had to drive mine for 30 miles after being warmed up before, but the data will eventually appear.

The oil readings on the 981 are complex and not the same rules as previous models. There are a lot or pre-requisites that must be met, otherwise the data it is showing you will not be current and just the data that was there the last time all pre-requisites were met. In other words letting the car sit overnight does not give a new reading when cold the following morning. You are just looking at yesterdays data when it was hot. Attached is a document explaining these "rules" for the 981 GTS, but it applies to all 981 models
Just checked the car in the garage and the level reading was "okay".
Thanks
The following users liked this post:
ICNU (11-07-2021)

Quick Reply: Checking oil level