Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaking of Great Driving Roads...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2021, 11:54 PM
Kevin CS
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 143 Posts
Talking Speaking of Great Driving Roads...

I spent the day today buzzing around Hocking Hills (https://www.explorehockinghills.com/...lls-road-tour/), including the famous Car & Driver road test loop (“The driving route is maybe the best in the world, this side of the Nürburgring,” according to C&D's John Phillips). The roads there live up to the hype; lots of twists and turns, ups and downs, and hairpin turns - it's like driving on a rollercoaster - especially the C&D loop. I've never had a car that could handle these roads with so much speed and agility, and I had the distinct feeling that the car wanted me to push it harder.

And I discovered something that I really love about this car: I've driven a fair number of cars that could get from 0 - 60 as fast as - or faster than - my Cayman, but I've never had a car that could get from 45 - 90 as fast as this one. If you've ever been to the Hocking Hills, you'll know that the roads are fairly narrow two-lanes, and there aren't many straightaways - so if you're stuck behind a tourist doing 45 and you want to get around them, you need to be able to do it quick.

And this car delivers in that band like I've never felt before. My last 5 cars (3 GTIs, a Golf R, and a Genesis G70) were all turbos, and all had torque to spare in the low end, but their torque and horsepower peaked at much lower RPMs than the torque and horsepower peaks in this car. Flooring those cars at 45 got you various amounts of turbo lag followed by various amounts of acceleration. Flooring this car at 45 is like pulling a trigger: foot to the floor = road rocket. And the sound!

I've never had more fun in a car than I had today. I can't wait to go back in a couple of weeks and do it again.

Last edited by Kevin CS; 09-06-2021 at 11:55 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Kevin CS:
CaymanCarver (09-07-2021), Gotshotgun (09-07-2021), GZ Boxster (09-13-2021), nhnguy12 (09-07-2021)