Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two weeks in: a love story ;)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2021, 12:21 AM
Kevin CS
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 141 Posts
Talking Two weeks in: a love story ;)

Pretty much ever since I was old enough to want a car, I've wanted a Porsche, but I could never afford one until now. I tried to get as close as I could with a series of GTIs and a Golf R, but they weren't the real thing, and I knew it.

Back in 2019 there was a ton of hype around the Genesis G70 (you may recall that it was Motor Trend's Car of the Year that year). I went to look at one, and it was very pretty: black on black, quilted leather seats, staggered 19-inch wheels, red Brembos... I took it for a spin, and the 365 horses and 375 lbs/ft of torque (and the fact that it actually handled better than my Golf R) sealed the deal. Up until a couple of weeks ago, it was the best car I'd ever had, and I thought it was a ton of fun to drive.

I'm not sure what triggered the idea, but at some point back in the spring, it occurred to me that if I could afford a $53,000 luxury sport sedan, I could probably afford a relatively late model used Cayman. And so the search began.

After looking at tons of cars online, and actually going out and driving a half-dozen or so, I saw this beautiful 981 Cayman S at a small dealer in Indianapolis a little over 2 weeks ago. I took a drive over there two weeks ago yesterday, looked it over, took it for an extended test drive (which included dropping it into Sport Plus on a twisty back road), and fell in love. We made a deal, and I left my G70 behind and drove the Cayman home that night. I've never been happier with a trade in my life.

I love the way this car handles, especially in tight curves; going through curves that have a "suggested" speed of 25 at 50+ without the slightest hint that the tires are going to break contact with the road is a revelation! Curves that I would take at 50 in my Golf R and 60 in my G70 I now take at 70+ in the Cayman.

And I absolutely love the sound of this engine when it's winding out between about 4K and the red line. I'd heard for a long time that there's nothing like the sound of a Porsche flat 6 winding out, and I've heard them on videos and experienced it for myself briefly on a couple of short test drives this summer. But the sound of that engine when I dropped the car into Sport Plus on that test drive a couple of weeks ago put a great big smile on my face and made me say "Hell, yeah!" And now that I've had a chance to enjoy that sound whenever I like in my own car for a couple of weeks, I totally agree with that assessment: there is nothing like the sound of a Porsche flat 6 winding out. The sound is intoxicating...

I also love feeling like I'm almost a part of the car when I'm driving it. It's hard to describe, but with every other car I've ever owned, there's always been a clear distinction between me and the car. Now that I've got my seat and steering wheel positions pretty well dialed in, the car just fits me like a glove. It's like the car is an extension of me (I know; crazy, right?).

And I really enjoy having complete strangers coming up to me and oohing and ahhhing over my car.

Yes, there are a couple of minor annoyances, like the radio coming on at deafening volume whenever I start the car (I usually use Bluetooth audio from my phone, and I have to crank the volume up for that, but the PCM never picks up the Bluetooth signal for the first minute or so, so it blasts the radio at me), but the good things are so good that they completely overshadow any negatives.
The following 6 users liked this post by Kevin CS:
Cayman7 (08-30-2021), Gotshotgun (08-30-2021), kludger (09-04-2021), remington (08-30-2021), tomekz (08-30-2021), Turboale (09-01-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-30-2021, 04:29 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Congrats. Nothing wrong with the Genesis, but a two-seat flat-six Porsche will still be a desirable car long after the Genesis has gone to its eternal reward.

You might try selecting an unused source other than the radio before powering down the car, possibly the jukebox (if equipped) or the Aux button. If the PCM 3 works like the PCM 5 in my Macan, it will subsequently use that choice as the default at startup time, before Bluetooth reconnects. You will only have to do this once, if so.
Old 08-30-2021, 09:47 AM
Kevin CS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Congrats. Nothing wrong with the Genesis, but a two-seat flat-six Porsche will still be a desirable car long after the Genesis has gone to its eternal reward.

You might try selecting an unused source other than the radio before powering down the car, possibly the jukebox (if equipped) or the Aux button. If the PCM 3 works like the PCM 5 in my Macan, it will subsequently use that choice as the default at startup time, before Bluetooth reconnects. You will only have to do this once, if so.
Thanks! And thanks for the idea about the radio; I'll give that a try.
Old 08-30-2021, 12:47 PM
Rogon55
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 39 Posts

Kevin I feel you, Ive had my CGTS 2 1/2 months and every drive is a love fest, Ill be honest not till this past Sat that I felt completely in sync with the car, all settings are where I truly want them, I no longer have to look for buttons I can just reach them with out looking and so on, all the curves in my area that I would take at on the limit in previous sports cars I surpass with the GTS and I feel the limit is no where near, the grip on this car is like nothing I’ve ever driven in the past. Yes is a phenomenal car that Im happily surprised with, specially since I was not looking for a Cayman, I was told by my friend from whom I bought it (he owns Melinda Motors in Longwood Fl) that this was the car specially being a GTS with X73 low miles and a rare color interior Black/Luxor Beige full leather. Actually the interior sold me the car and I couldn’t be happier with the rest of the package, so like you Im enjoying this car to the max. And yes is an eye magnet I get lots of complements but the best came from a friend a former Porsche endurance racer, he saw it and said “you got the right car this is the perfect Porsche”…… and who I am to argue lol.
The following users liked this post:
Kevin CS (08-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 12:55 PM
Kevin CS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rogon55
Kevin I feel you, Ive had my CGTS 2 1/2 months and every drive is a love fest, Ill be honest not till this past Sat that I felt completely in sync with the car, all settings are where I truly want them, I no longer have to look for buttons I can just reach them with out looking and so on, all the curves in my area that I would take at on the limit in previous sports cars I surpass with the GTS and I feel the limit is no where near, the grip on this car is like nothing I’ve ever driven in the past. Yes is a phenomenal car that Im happily surprised with, specially since I was not looking for a Cayman, I was told by my friend from whom I bought it (he owns Melinda Motors in Longwood Fl) that this was the car specially being a GTS with X73 low miles and a rare color interior Black/Luxor Beige full leather. Actually the interior sold me the car and I couldn’t be happier with the rest of the package, so like you Im enjoying this car to the max. And yes is an eye magnet I get lots of complements but the best came from a friend a former Porsche endurance racer, he saw it and said “you got the right car this is the perfect Porsche”…… and who I am to argue lol.
Yeah, I saw your GTS the other day in the "latest pics" thread - gorgeous! And I wouldn't argue with your friend either.
Old 08-30-2021, 03:25 PM
Matador1
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hahahaha, "Hell Yeah" that's what we have all said. Welcome to the Porsche world. I came over from BMW, M3" and an X5, great cars just not Porsches. Now join the PCA and find a local chapter in you area. This is when it gets really good. Weekend drives, mid-weeks drives, social dinners, auto X opportunities, tech sessions and great people with decades of Porsche knowledge. Its' a slippery slope, I now have 2 Porsches, a 14 Boxster S and a 12 Cayenne Turbo. Looking to order a new 992 911 if I can get an allocation. I'm fortunate to drive a Porsche everyday.
Kevin CS (08-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 04:03 PM
Kevin CS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matador1
Hahahaha, "Hell Yeah" that's what we have all said. Welcome to the Porsche world. I came over from BMW, M3" and an X5, great cars just not Porsches. Now join the PCA and find a local chapter in you area. This is when it gets really good. Weekend drives, mid-weeks drives, social dinners, auto X opportunities, tech sessions and great people with decades of Porsche knowledge. Its' a slippery slope, I now have 2 Porsches, a 14 Boxster S and a 12 Cayenne Turbo. Looking to order a new 992 911 if I can get an allocation. I'm fortunate to drive a Porsche everyday.
Thanks - I did join the PCA and went to a Cars and Coffee sponsored by my local chapter (Ohio Valley Region) last Sunday. Lots more cool stuff coming up: 60th Anniversary dinner for the OVR, Porsche Rally Mariemont, HPDE weekend at Mid-Ohio...
Old 08-31-2021, 03:41 PM
ncster
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts

Congrats on the car! The sound is really something else. I roll the windows down on highway on-ramps just to hear the flat 6.

Regarding the PCM switching to FM on startup, I've made a habit of tapping the MEDIA button twice before shutting off the car to put it into aux mode. Remains in that on the next startup. Then, just push the media button again once your phone is connected to switch to aux-BT.
Kevin CS (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 04:41 PM
Kevin CS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
You might try selecting an unused source other than the radio before powering down the car, possibly the jukebox (if equipped) or the Aux button.
Originally Posted by ncster
Regarding the PCM switching to FM on startup, I've made a habit of tapping the MEDIA button twice before shutting off the car to put it into aux mode. Remains in that on the next startup. Then, just push the media button again once your phone is connected to switch to aux-BT.
Thanks again for the suggestions on the PCM; @Noah Fect's tip worked, but, as @ncster points out, you have to do it every time you shut down. I tried it out by starting up, selecting aux, shutting down, and restarting: blessed silence from the PCM. But after I'd been listening to music via bluetooth and shut down without selecting aux first, when I started up again, I got blasted out by the radio again...

Guess I'll have to learn a new habit.
Old 08-31-2021, 06:35 PM
burgerdog
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

It's such a blast to drive. I've had mine for 18 months now and I still want to redline it once or twice every time I drive it. It just hasn't gotten old. I figured that I would be over that aspect of the car by now but nope. I also know exactly what you mean about taking curves at a way higher speed than the recommended speed, I'm not an amazing, or even great driver, so I try to stay within my limits and it's still an insane sensation when you nail it.
The following 2 users liked this post by burgerdog:
Kevin CS (08-31-2021), Rogon55 (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 07:09 PM
Kancamagus
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 53 Posts

It speaks volumes that everyone on this forum has seen the potential windfall of selling their cars (if they dont buy another until pricing slides back down) yet have chosen not to. Even after two years of ownership I still feel like I have only scratched the surface of what this car offers, and the mysteries yet to be revealed. It takes a while to establish a relationship with a weekender. If I sold now, @+20% from my purchase price two years ago, I would feel like I still had unfinished business with my GTS. I didn’t buy it as an investment, I bought it to consume it. The more you drive these cars, the more interesting they get. And that is really something.
Kevin CS (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 07:27 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Same issue when the 981 was brand new. The next step up was an 8-cylinder Ferrari, in an entirely different budgetary range. Still true.

"There is no substitute" was never more true. There are plenty of at least a few substitutes for the 911, especially now that they have refocused on the grand touring sector. But there are none for the two-seaters. All of the Boxster/Cayman rivals in the marketplace are seriously compromised in one or more ways. Lots of people watching the new Lotus Emira with interest, though...

Last edited by Noah Fect; 08-31-2021 at 07:30 PM.
Turboale (09-01-2021)

Quick Reply: Two weeks in: a love story ;)