Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cracked water pipe

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 03:42 PM
amurph182
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 69 Posts
Default cracked water pipe

So, was at Summit Point this weekend and after the first session of the weekend I noticed a pool of coolant forming under the car (981 C 2.7). Trailered it back to my shop and it appears as if the plastic water pipe (link) cracked right where the little bleeder screw goes in. First car failure after several years of DE so I guess I was due. Part isn't that expensive, should have it this week. Question: has anyone else had this part fail and is the consensus that it was just a random failure or is this a heat related issue? The car really wasn't any hotter than normal, and certainly not nearly as hot as it gets on an August afternoon at VIR, but maybe it's the culmination of years of track use? I've been thinking about getting the 3rd radiator installed but I've never really had any heat-related issues before.
Old 08-03-2021, 03:37 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 350 Posts

A very common problem in BMW products...The Cayenne had a major issue with failing plastic parts in the cooling system...There are several "articles" online that address the issue in Porsche cars, most posted by independent Porsche shops...Here's one (No affiliation): https://techplusautomotive.com/is-yo...-pipe-failure/
Old 08-04-2021, 12:18 AM
ledbette
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

Had that exact same issue. Seems to be somewhat common with track use (I have the 3rd radiator - it didn't help). DIYed the fix. Fairly easy. There are a couple posts of this on planet9.com.

Quick Reply: cracked water pipe