Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Head Unit Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2021, 01:04 PM
DriverDaily
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Aftermarket Head Unit Install

I got very tired of the dated PCM 3.1 in my 981 Cayman a month after purchasing it. I tried a carplay box from Alibaba but wasn't satisfied. The main problem was the capacitive touchscreen, audio quality, low resolution, and the fact there was no good spot to mount it.

Fast forward to this week and I have 3D printed my own head unit install kit.

There's a Noctua 120mm fan keeping the back of the head unit cool in the Texas heat.

Modifying the boot logo was as simple as replacing an image in a firmware update.

The ***** control my Helix P Six DSP amplifier, which gets a digital signal from the optical port of the Android head unit.
  • Left: bass boost
  • Center: master volume
  • Right: switch for EQ profiles (driver's seat or driver + passenger)

This is still a work in progress. I still need to finish the plastic with SEM paint and wire the potentiometers to a cable for the amp's volume ****.

Last edited by DriverDaily; 07-20-2021 at 05:56 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by DriverDaily:
burnergt4 (07-20-2021), Cayman6spd (07-20-2021), Diamond Dave (07-21-2021), M. Schneider (09-11-2021), por917 (07-20-2021), redvancitycayman (08-04-2021), strugs (07-21-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-04-2021, 06:38 PM
redvancitycayman
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

OOOOHHH.. it turned out so good! I'm definitely jealous of the logo displayed when you turn it on.. I'll look for one for my Cayman!
Old 08-04-2021, 09:24 PM
TEF
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

I tried Crrutchfield, with little success, to learn what head unit could be installed in a 981 BS with a Bose system. I seem to recall with my 987,1 that an optical interface was needed between an after market head unit and the OE Bose amp that connected the two together. In the case of a 981, how does one make this connection? It seems to me, that once that is solved, the only other consideration would be selecting an after-market head unit that fit in the space available.
Old 08-05-2021, 02:01 PM
redvancitycayman
Rennlist Member

@TEF if you go on the suncoast website, I believe they sell a adapter harness kit that will allow you to hook up the BOSE into your aftermarket head unit. If I remember correctly, I think it costs around USD$1k.

You can also look up euromotorspeed on eBay. They create the harness that suncoast sells.
The following users liked this post:
TEF (08-05-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 02:56 PM
burnergt4
Rennlist Member

Received 440 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by redvancitycayman
@TEF if you go on the suncoast website, I believe they sell a adapter harness kit that will allow you to hook up the BOSE into your aftermarket head unit. If I remember correctly, I think it costs around USD$1k.

You can also look up euromotorspeed on eBay. They create the harness that suncoast sells.
Here’s the Suncoast kit: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PK9X1BOSE.html

They don’t seem to sell a kit that doesn’t have the bracket (i.e. just the harness adapter)
The following users liked this post:
TEF (08-05-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 04:30 PM
TEF
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks for the Suncoast info. I presume the bracket included with the Suncoast kit uses a double din head unit. Secondly, has anybody used this kit and what, if any, reprogramming was necessary by Porsche dealer? My OE system is fairly basic: AM//FM radio, analog input, and phone BT - no navigation, Sirius radio or USB connection.
Old 08-06-2021, 03:35 PM
redvancitycayman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TEF
Thanks for the Suncoast info. I presume the bracket included with the Suncoast kit uses a double din head unit. Secondly, has anybody used this kit and what, if any, reprogramming was necessary by Porsche dealer? My OE system is fairly basic: AM//FM radio, analog input, and phone BT - no navigation, Sirius radio or USB connection.
I used a similar kit but not from Suncoast. I had to do quite a bit of cutting to get the head unit to sit in it properly. It's definitely for a double din head unit which is usually what people have replaced their stock ones with.

I don't think you need to do any programming really since if you get the adapter harness from Suncoast or Euromotorspeed you either splice into the harness provided by your aftermarket head unit and then the adapter harness just plugs into the OEM one.
Old 06-12-2022, 05:42 PM
mrkirsch23
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Would you mind sharing the CAD file? I recently did this as well with the Suncoast kit, but it doesnt sit right with my Pioneer headunit
Old 06-14-2022, 08:00 PM
DriverDaily
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by mrkirsch23
Would you mind sharing the CAD file? I recently did this as well with the Suncoast kit, but it doesnt sit right with my Pioneer headunit
I did make a post sharing the files here: Rennlist Thread

Direct link to Head Unit files
  • Be aware you need to use an SLS or HP MJF printer, you can't use an FDM printer.
  • Be aware that the opening is not a standard double-din size.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Head Unit Install