Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Boxster 981 Blower Motor Regulator Replacement Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2021, 06:47 PM
paulgreeny83
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Boxster 981 Blower Motor Regulator Replacement Help

Hi all,

So my interior fans are stuck on even with ignition off. Reading up it's the AC Blower Motor Regulator/Resistor that needs replacing. Local Euro mechanic wants $600. I've found a non OEM regulator for $50 and the replacement doesn't seem too technical. Need to pull the glove box, loosen knee airbags etc. to access.

What I can't find is a good step-by-step guide or video showing how to replace. Can anyone reading this point me to such a guide, would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul.
Old 07-27-2021, 06:31 PM
Lawrence H
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I had the exact same problem you did and had to do this about 6 months ago...not terribly hard, but I went really slowly and methodically. I got a non-oem part from Pelican and it works perfectly.

The youtube link below was probably the best video I came across that helped with the disassembly of the dash, starting at minute ~15. It doesn't show you exactly how to access the relay, but the hard part is removing all the dash pieces to gain access to the relay. In terms of position, it's literally inches above the passenger's feet and iirc is blocked by the passenger side airbag. Thinking back, it was like a quarter-turn removal and re-install. Really straight forward, and fixed the issue you described.

The following 2 users liked this post by Lawrence H:
burnergt4 (07-27-2021), DennisRF (07-28-2021)
Old 04-28-2024, 06:50 PM
cheesefries
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had the same symptoms above where the blower motor fan would stay on and replaced the resistor with pelican parts and it worked but then after turning it to a higher fan speed it turns off completely and would need to pull fuse again to reset it. anyone have any ideas?

Quick Reply: Porsche Boxster 981 Blower Motor Regulator Replacement Help