Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Numeric Racing Short Shifter 981 Cayman

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 04:25 AM
redvancitycayman
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Numeric Racing Short Shifter 981 Cayman

Well.. that escalated quickly.. after replacing my broken OEM shifter cables with Numeric's last week, I decided to take advantage of their July 4th sale and purchased a Numeric Short Shifter for my 981 to pair with the cables!

Install:
First you'll have to remove what's covering the shifter. This includes:
1. Shifter boot
2. Trim panels on the side of the leather console which you pull towards you (driver side) and push away from you (passenger side) and then pull back (towards you).
3. Trim on the side of the ash tray, buttons (sport button, PSE, etc.), Cayman logo and the shift boot.
4. HVAC control panel (you can remove the connectors or hang it by the wayside)
5. Buttons Console Cayman logo and the ashtray6. Head unit (you can remove the connectors or have it hang by the side) You'll then have to remove the plastic trim that holds all of the items you just removed. It's held in by six screws on each side.

Once that's done you can then get to the shifter.. you're install will then vary depending on whether or not you have the OEM or Numeric shifter cables. I'll only be talking about the install if you already have the Numeric Racing shifter cables.

You'll need to pop out the ball ends from the shifter and then undo the 4 screws holding the shifter in. You'll then put the Numeric shifter in and you'll have to adjust the ball ends of the shifter cables to reach the shifter assembly.

Make sure that when you adjust it the cable on the right is long enough for when the shifter is centered. Test out the shifter and make sure you get in all gears. Then you can attach the inner plastic cups onto the ball ends and attach them to the shifter.

It took me around a couple of hours since I ran into an issue. The shifter would be able to get into all forward gears but wouldn't let me get into reverse.

Review:
​​​​​Installing was pretty simple although I did run into an issue as mentioned above. The shifter wasn't letting me go into reverse because the left cable attached to the shifter wasn't getting pushed back far enough. It was a simple fix though. You have to make sure when you extend the shifter cable forward, that it go a little past the ball end of shifter assembly. That way when going into reverse, the lever pushes the cable far back enough to allow you to select reverse.
When I first installed it, I couldn't really tell a difference between my GT4 short shift kit and Numeric's. But after I took a video of shifting through the gears, my initial feelings were confirmed. The Numeric Short Shifter did feel like it was a shorter throw, required more effort and felt like it stopped more abruptly which I think is because it is made of billet aluminum and not plastic. I've attached a couple of videos comparing the shifting action.. tell me if you notice a difference: GT4 short shifter w/ Numeric Racing Cables
Numeric Racing Short Shifter + Numeric Racing Cables
I got to drive it today and the shifts were so short or stopped so abruptly that I was worried I wasn't getting it into gear. It feels extremely precise! At the moment, I'm pretty glad I have a heavy shift **** (Raceseng Slammer) but once I get my new lighter shift **** I'm hoping it will feel even better! Definitely recommend getting this mod for your Porsche! It feels amazing! Here's some photos of the billet aluminum goodness...

Last edited by redvancitycayman; 07-09-2021 at 04:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Numeric Racing Short Shifter 981 Cayman