Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just graduated to a 981 from 987.1

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2021, 03:53 PM
jago
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by TEF
Another question, albeit a little premature, can the 981 be charged through its lighter port with a trickle charger (when key is removed)? I did this on my 987.1 when put into winter storage.
16 BGTS i use the one in the glovebox ( you can close it, run wire thru side of box). my console doesnt charge it (i guess i never lock it in my garage.)
Old 07-16-2021, 03:54 PM
jago
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by ICNU
Just to clarify on the tuner because this is a little hidden mystery to many.....it will stay off if its turned completely off which requires a press and hold of the volume button. I do this all of the time as I pull into my garage so the radio is not on with the next startup. It will come back on with every restart if a short press is done because that is only a mute function and not really off. And yes, the memory function also allows the setting of either or both side mirrors driving position, or to dip down to see the curb when reversing if wanted
ah, thanks on tuner!
Old 07-17-2021, 09:22 AM
Jim981CS
Pro

Received 279 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by TEF
Another question, albeit a little premature, can the 981 be charged through its lighter port with a trickle charger (when key is removed)? I did this on my 987.1 when put into winter storage.
The lighter ports on my 2014CS do not time out with the doors unlocked as some cars do. You might give yours a try as this has been discussed on previous threads and for some reason, maybe options or production date, some do not time out and stay active when not locked. Mine has a 1/14 build date with premium plus option with PCM3.1 and Bose.
Jim
Old 07-17-2021, 10:52 AM
ICNU
Pro

Received 412 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim981CS
The lighter ports on my 2014CS do not time out with the doors unlocked as some cars do. You might give yours a try as this has been discussed on previous threads and for some reason, maybe options or production date, some do not time out and stay active when not locked. Mine has a 1/14 build date with premium plus option with PCM3.1 and Bose.
Jim
Same for my 14CS built May 2013 with premium plus and PCM3.1/Bose. Outlets stay live at all times and doors are never locked since day one. This randomness of why some behave this way and others dont with the same car has been discussed for years with no definitive reason it seems as to what models/software versions time out vs the others that dont. Bottom line is there is no single consensus on whether the ports will stay live or time out so blanket statements about locking doors, etc do not apply here. One just has to try and see what their specific car does and go from there

Last edited by ICNU; 07-17-2021 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-17-2021, 11:59 AM
Jim981CS
Pro

Originally Posted by ICNU
Same for my 14CS built May 2013 with premium plus and PCM3.1/Bose. Outlets stay live at all times and doors are never locked since day one. This randomness of why some behave this way and others dont with the same car has been discussed for years with no definitive reason it seems as to what models/software versions time out vs the others that dont. Bottom line is there is no single consensus on whether the ports will stay live or time out so blanket statements about locking doors, etc do not apply here. One just has to try and see what their specific car does and go from there
ICNU,
This is off topic, but I see that you also have the rare for 2014 premium plus option (P9E w/adaptive sport seats plus 18 way). I have researched the option and have not been successful in finding the msrp price for the option. The premium plus option included several stand alone options but was the only way to get entry and drive. Do you know what the price of the option or have the window sticker for your car?
Jim
Old 07-17-2021, 02:07 PM
ICNU
Pro

Received 412 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim981CS
ICNU,
This is off topic, but I see that you also have the rare for 2014 premium plus option (P9E w/adaptive sport seats plus 18 way). I have researched the option and have not been successful in finding the msrp price for the option. The premium plus option included several stand alone options but was the only way to get entry and drive. Do you know what the price of the option or have the window sticker for your car?
Jim
Sorry Jim, I misspoke and looked at my build and I have the "premium package" with 14 way seats, not the plus which I believe makes the seats a bit wider as well? I also dont have the entry/drive function which I didn't realize was part of that package, so sorry for the confusion

Last edited by ICNU; 07-17-2021 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-17-2021, 07:08 PM
TEF
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Per your advice, I running a trail using a tender connected to the lighter port (at foot of center consul with lighter). I've tested the battery voltage with a multimeter. First with no tender and then periodically as tender runs. Battery voltage has gradually increased as tender operates. Initially and until fully charged, tender shows a blinking green light. Once fully charged, the green light becomes constant. Given today's rainy weather, I will leave setup running until Sunday AM to see what happens. Thanks again for your input.

As an aside, the battery installed in my BS (by a pervious owner in FL) is an H6. However, the cradle appears to also accept a longer H7. My old 987.1 BS had an H7 AGM and I am wondering if I should install the larger unit when this one bites the dust. Just wondering what battery should be in place.
Old 07-17-2021, 09:33 PM
Jim981CS
Pro

Originally Posted by TEF
Per your advice, I running a trail using a tender connected to the lighter port (at foot of center consul with lighter). I've tested the battery voltage with a multimeter. First with no tender and then periodically as tender runs. Battery voltage has gradually increased as tender operates. Initially and until fully charged, tender shows a blinking green light. Once fully charged, the green light becomes constant. Given today's rainy weather, I will leave setup running until Sunday AM to see what happens. Thanks again for your input.

As an aside, the battery installed in my BS (by a pervious owner in FL) is an H6. However, the cradle appears to also accept a longer H7. My old 987.1 BS had an H7 AGM and I am wondering if I should install the larger unit when this one bites the dust. Just wondering what battery should be in place.
On my 981CS not just the footwell lighter port stays active but all of the ports stay active including the smoker package socket that I recently added, so I would use whichever is most convenient.

The original battery is a 70AH AGM that fills smallest setting in the battery tray. Some upgrade to the 80AH which takes the middle setting and when I replaced mine I bought a Bosch L5/49 AGM 92AH which takes the full tray. I used my ICarSoft Por V2.0 scanner to initialize the battery to take advantage of the larger 92AH battery. There are many threads about battery replacement and not needing to initialize it, but since I already owned the iCarsoft for service resets I went ahead and initialized it.
Jim
Old 07-19-2021, 04:42 PM
TEF
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

After running a 15-hour test, I can say that the power outlet (with lighter) at rear of console remains active (when engine is shut down and car is not locked) and can be used with a battery tender. As expected, my charging device started out with a blinking green light and finished with a constant green light. The battery read 13.85 volts at end of session.
Old 10-04-2021, 09:08 PM
Lvoncannon
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 981 Battery Replacement

Hi Guys, New 981 owner here. Curious if anyone has replaced their battery DIY? Does the car require supplemental power during the change over? Thanks

Quick Reply: Just graduated to a 981 from 987.1