Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fault: Cooling System. Visit Repair Shop.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2021, 05:34 PM
Thacker
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Fault: Cooling System. Visit Repair Shop.

The car is a 2014 981CS PDK. NO PSE, Cantrelle exhaust.

Yesterday after driving in a downpour, the above message in yellow appeared on the screen in the instrument cluster. All temperatures were normal [oil 212F, coolant 194F], so I continued as I was only about two blocks away from home.

No coolant leaks or smells, and the coolant level is at the max mark in the filler cup.

After some research today, I have come to the conclusion that this is most likely a COV [Change Over Valve] issue. I attached my iCarsoft POR II to the car, and could find no codes or faults. Nor could I erase the fault message from the display in order to see if it would repeat in an effort to determine whether this was just a nuisance alert.

And I bought this thing why?

And tonight I sat in the car in the garage with the door open and after cancelling the air conditioning, I turned up the heat to the maximum value of 86F and ambient temperature came from the vents. No heat.

Questions:

1. It was 87F outside, and a few degrees cooler in the garage. Coolant temperature when I did this was between 150 and 160 degrees. Shouldn't I have felt heat?

2. Where is it located and how hard is it to change out this COV?

3. The annoying "Fault: Cooling System. Visit Repair Shop." How do I reset this? Is PIWIS necessary?

4. How does one go about properly diagnosing this? Again, is PIWIS necessary? Or does a mechanic have to climb all over the engine with 12 volts and listen to clicks?

Thank you.

Last edited by Thacker; 06-26-2021 at 11:13 PM.
Old 06-26-2021, 10:57 PM
henrythelam
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you have the factory PSE?
it is very likely the COV that connected to the PSE vacuum hose gone bad

it is pretty easy to find it when you open the engine bay hood
just trace the vacuum hose
Old 06-26-2021, 11:10 PM
Thacker
Instructor

Originally Posted by henrythelam
do you have the factory PSE?
it is very likely the COV that connected to the PSE vacuum hose gone bad

it is pretty easy to find it when you open the engine bay hood
just trace the vacuum hose
I do not have PSE.

Thank you.
Old 06-27-2021, 07:05 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,531 Likes on 952 Posts

Originally Posted by Thacker
The car is a 2014 981CS PDK. NO PSE, Cantrelle exhaust.

Yesterday after driving in a downpour, the above message in yellow appeared on the screen in the instrument cluster. All temperatures were normal [oil 212F, coolant 194F], so I continued as I was only about two blocks away from home.

No coolant leaks or smells, and the coolant level is at the max mark in the filler cup.

After some research today, I have come to the conclusion that this is most likely a COV [Change Over Valve] issue. I attached my iCarsoft POR II to the car, and could find no codes or faults. Nor could I erase the fault message from the display in order to see if it would repeat in an effort to determine whether this was just a nuisance alert.

And I bought this thing why?

And tonight I sat in the car in the garage with the door open and after cancelling the air conditioning, I turned up the heat to the maximum value of 86F and ambient temperature came from the vents. No heat.

Questions:

1. It was 87F outside, and a few degrees cooler in the garage. Coolant temperature when I did this was between 150 and 160 degrees. Shouldn't I have felt heat?

2. Where is it located and how hard is it to change out this COV?

3. The annoying "Fault: Cooling System. Visit Repair Shop." How do I reset this? Is PIWIS necessary?

4. How does one go about properly diagnosing this? Again, is PIWIS necessary? Or does a mechanic have to climb all over the engine with 12 volts and listen to clicks?

Thank you.
Search COV threads. No heat means COV bad. There are 8 -11 COVs depending on options. Threads include diagram of their locations.

Last edited by Fullyield; 06-27-2021 at 07:07 AM.
Old 06-29-2021, 11:45 AM
Thacker
Instructor

Does anyone know where the heater COV is located on the engine?

Thank you.

Quick Reply: Fault: Cooling System. Visit Repair Shop.