Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headliner detached (not saggy) - how to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2021, 12:44 PM
Tommy L Garage
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 207 Posts
Default Headliner detached (not saggy) - how to fix?

Hello. So my headliner seems to have detached from its clips on both sides. I can’t seem to clip it back. I’m assuming clips are broken or misaligned.

Any idea as to how to fix it? Has anyone dealt with a similar situation? How does it clip on?

thanks in advance.

Old 05-15-2021, 01:32 PM
osuidoc
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 37 Posts

That area of the headliner has a vertical metal bracket on both the drivers and passengers side of the panel that has a square of industrial velcro and it attaches to the roof which also has a fellow square of velcro. It is about 3-4 inches inboard of the edge and about just past the midpoint of the window towards the rear of the car. (You can see them in the picture below)
If you can look into the gap and see the actual bracket and its location you can try to then push the headliner straight up from inside the car while positioning your hand on the area. If the velcro had somehow separated, the you will actually be able to hear when the velco pieces bind together. It requires a fair amount of force as both of the velco pads have plastic hooks and neither is fabric like in tradition velcro.
If any of those components has failed due separated adhesive then you will have to find a work around to figure out the best way of remounting any of the parts.

Good luck
Old 05-16-2021, 08:48 AM
Tommy L Garage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by osuidoc
That area of the headliner has a vertical metal bracket on both the drivers and passengers side of the panel that has a square of industrial velcro and it attaches to the roof which also has a fellow square of velcro. It is about 3-4 inches inboard of the edge and about just past the midpoint of the window towards the rear of the car. (You can see them in the picture below)
If you can look into the gap and see the actual bracket and its location you can try to then push the headliner straight up from inside the car while positioning your hand on the area. If the velcro had somehow separated, the you will actually be able to hear when the velco pieces bind together. It requires a fair amount of force as both of the velco pads have plastic hooks and neither is fabric like in tradition velcro.
If any of those components has failed due separated adhesive then you will have to find a work around to figure out the best way of remounting any of the parts.

Good luck

very helpful. Thanks !!
Old 05-16-2021, 06:36 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 354 Posts

I had to replace my headliner recently as it had become "saggy" over my head.. not too bad but took a little while.

Here's to you NOT having to make another DIY video on R&Ring that.

Last edited by saabin; 06-20-2021 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-20-2021, 05:04 PM
Tommy L Garage
Rennlist Member

Quick update
this ended up being a 10 second fix.
looks like this side is held using a Velcro snap. Quick push on each side and as good as new!
The following users liked this post:
Viper pilot (06-21-2021)
Old 12-01-2023, 10:51 PM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

Received 560 Likes on 206 Posts

Just ran into this problem with my car. The cloth material is still very well adhered to the foam backing but the entire headliner was dropping down:

I attempted to push up on the headliner to reattach the center piece of velcro with no success. I was able to directly access the velcro fastener by removing the driver-side A-pillar trim and sun visor. Turns out the plastic snap-on fastener that attaches to the roof had fatigued in the Arizona heat (pictured on the right):

My dealer quoted me 2500-3000 USD to replace the headliner out of warranty without even looking at the car. Ended up being a $5 fix (P/N 958867300).

Last edited by nhnguy12; 12-01-2023 at 10:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jim981CS (12-02-2023)
Old 03-01-2024, 11:08 AM
ssmith96
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by nhnguy12
Just ran into this problem with my car. The cloth material is still very well adhered to the foam backing but the entire headliner was dropping down:

I attempted to push up on the headliner to reattach the center piece of velcro with no success. I was able to directly access the velcro fastener by removing the driver-side A-pillar trim and sun visor. Turns out the plastic snap-on fastener that attaches to the roof had fatigued in the Arizona heat (pictured on the right):

My dealer quoted me 2500-3000 USD to replace the headliner out of warranty without even looking at the car. Ended up being a $5 fix (P/N 958867300).
Does that snap fastener have velcro on it? I have the same issue, my headliner is falling in the same place.

Can you provide any more guidance? How does removing the A pillar help if the sagging is closer to the b pillar? or does it just allow you to drop the headliner enough to get access to this stuff?

Last edited by ssmith96; 03-01-2024 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-18-2024, 12:59 AM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

Received 560 Likes on 206 Posts

The clip I bought didn't hold in the long run. Ended up replacing the entire headliner (981-555-091-16-6F2) as the foam was warped to the point that it was yanking out the clips. Since it's the same OEM part I expect to run into this issue again eventually but at least the part is pretty inexpensive by Porsche standards.

Quick Reply: Headliner detached (not saggy) - how to fix?