Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with 2013 Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 05:16 PM
Siph
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with 2013 Boxster

Hi, I am receiving a 2013 Porsche Boxster S in the near future and was wondering if there's anything I should be aware about in terms of maintenance or possible mods to look into. I think it has around 50-60k miles on it.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Also, any advice on if it's possible to get android auto in the car would be awesome.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:22 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,449 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by Siph
Hi, I am receiving a 2013 Porsche Boxster S in the near future and was wondering if there's anything I should be aware about in terms of maintenance or possible mods to look into. I think it has around 50-60k miles on it.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Also, any advice on if it's possible to get android auto in the car would be awesome.
Get and install radiator screens from Radiator Grill Store, Zunsports or make your own. Join PCA. Keep an eye out for sagging headliner, warped door cards and micro cracks in headlights. Search and read the Fidelity Megathread if interested in an extended warranty. Change oil and filter every 6 months or 5k miles and coils every time you change spark plugs regardless of what the owners manual states. Enjoy your new 981.
The following users liked this post:
Diamond Dave (05-11-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 11:28 AM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 477 Likes on 347 Posts

If you plan on tracking the car a third radiator is recommended. Adjustable LCAs and a dedicated set of 18s with track tires. High temperature brake fluid and track pads. 911 coil pack heat shields will protect the coil packs from the extra heat at the track. The heat shields are a good investment even if you don't track and normally eliminate coil pack failure from excess heat. If the front bumper is in good shape consider PPF for the bumper and half hood and fenders, behind the rear wheels and around the side air intakes.

Check for time based maintenance like the serpentine belt. Build date for the tires, anything more than 5 years old should be considered for replacements. The fronts will last twice as long as the rears unless you track the car. Michelin PS4S are considered the gold standard. Get a CETEK or equivalent battery maintainer. You don't want to find the emergency frunk release under the left front fender liner. As already mentioned monitor the door cards and headlights. If your car has full leather the door cards should not be an issue. IMO an annual oil change is more than sufficient unless you track or aggressively drive. Plugs are recommended at 4 years, I've gone six with no seizure issues. While you have to remove the coil packs to do the plugs they are not considered maintenance items. I had the heat shields installed when I got my 2013 BS. It now has six track weekends (one this year) and no coil pack issues. I carry two spare coil packs to the track. Clean and re-water proof the top annually. I like the Porsche brand top water proof, however you need to tape the surrounding paint and either do outside or in well ventilated garage. The fumes are really strong.

Not sure how DIY you are, but huge savings if you do. Many YouTubes on maintenance. FCPEuro for parts, they have a 100% warranty even on wear items like brake pads. Harbor Freight for tools (not jack stands). Suncoast and Byers Porsche for dealer parts. Download the Porsche parts PDF.

Last edited by Kitc2246; 05-11-2021 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:57 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kitc2246
If you plan on tracking the car a third radiator is recommended. Adjustable LCAs and a dedicated set of 18s with track tires. High temperature brake fluid and track pads. 911 coil pack heat shields will protect the coil packs from the extra heat at the track. The heat shields are a good investment even if you don't track and normally eliminate coil pack failure from excess heat. If the front bumper is in good shape consider PPF for the bumper and half hood and fenders, behind the rear wheels and around the side air intakes.

Check for time based maintenance like the serpentine belt. Build date for the tires, anything more than 5 years old should be considered for replacements. The fronts will last twice as long as the rears unless you track the car. Michelin PS4S are considered the gold standard. Get a CETEK or equivalent battery maintainer. You don't want to find the emergency frunk release under the left front fender liner. As already mentioned monitor the door cards and headlights. If your car has full leather the door cards should not be an issue. IMO an annual oil change is more than sufficient unless you track or aggressively drive. Plugs are recommended at 4 years, I've gone six with no seizure issues. While you have to remove the coil packs to do the plugs they are not considered maintenance items. I had the heat shields installed when I got my 2013 BS. It now has six track weekends (one this year) and no coil pack issues. I carry two spare coil packs to the track. Clean and re-water proof the top annually. I like the Porsche brand top water proof, however you need to tape the surrounding paint and either do outside or in well ventilated garage. The fumes are really strong.

Not sure how DIY you are, but huge savings if you do. Many YouTubes on maintenance. FCPEuro for parts, they have a 100% warranty even on wear items like brake pads. Harbor Freight for tools (not jack stands). Suncoast and Byers Porsche for dealer parts. Download the Porsche parts PDF.
I agree with much that you state. However, coil packs are a known failure point on these cars because of their location to high heat sources. While installing 911 heat shields is an option, you must drop the headers to do the install. I have decided to not incur that extra labor (or risk snapping off an exhaust header bolt) until I am ready to incur the added cost of upgrading to Soul cat headers. Others might differ. Plus, experienced DIY’rs realize that you only have to pay for coil packs once. There is zero additional labor at all times and no additional cost to replacing the coil packs (after the first time) when changing plugs. Hence, I change coil packs whenever changing plugs since it costs me nothing after the first time and there is no additional work to do it. I am uncertain why anyone would not do follow this recommendation especially in light of the issues caused by a bad coils reported repeatedly on this forum and the 997.2 and 991 forums (and those cars do come with the factory heat shields).

Your oil does three things; it lubricates, cools and cleans. While it lubricates and cools, it is also the sewage system for the engine. The dirtier the oil, the less efficiently it does all three. The recognized Porsche engine experts in the US (Jake Raby and Charles Navarro) both highly recommend oil changes every 6 months or 5k miles. I follow their expert advice since I like doing it and it is relatively inexpensive. Your car-your investment- your decision. Welcome to the tribe.

Last edited by Fullyield; 05-11-2021 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-12-2021, 12:32 AM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 477 Likes on 347 Posts

You do NOT have to remove heads to install 911 coil pack heat shields for a 981. There are DIY threads. I watched my Indy install. There are posts in the 987/981 forum where people report no coil pack failures with tracked cars with the heat shields. I can't speak to 997.2 and 991s. That said I will probably replace mine with the next plug change since I track my car.

Just like which oil to use there are differing opinions on how often to change. An oil analysis will tell you the remaining additive life plus other potential issues. I can see 5k miles, but IMO 6 months time only has no scientific basis. LN states that Porsche's driven hard several times a year and put away for the winter can change annually. They also recommend regular oil analysis to establish your ideal change interval based on your driving habits.

Old 05-12-2021, 09:10 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kitc2246
You do NOT have to remove heads to install 911 coil pack heat shields for a 981. There are DIY threads. I watched my Indy install. There are posts in the 987/981 forum where people report no coil pack failures with tracked cars with the heat shields. I can't speak to 997.2 and 991s. That said I will probably replace mine with the next plug change since I track my car.

Just like which oil to use there are differing opinions on how often to change. An oil analysis will tell you the remaining additive life plus other potential issues. I can see 5k miles, but IMO 6 months time only has no scientific basis. LN states that Porsche's driven hard several times a year and put away for the winter can change annually. They also recommend regular oil analysis to establish your ideal change interval based on your driving habits.
Well, here is the installation comment for the four 981 heat shields from the Suncoast Porsche website that sells them for Porsche:

Old 05-13-2021, 07:33 PM
Siph
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche 2013

Thanks guys for your replies and help. I'm not planning on tracking the car. I think it needs new tires and was more concerned about any normal internal wear and tear I should look out for since I know the previous driver never drove it hard. I will look into the coils though, thanks!

Quick Reply: Need help with 2013 Boxster