Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK Repair Summary

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2022, 05:57 PM
Lvoncannon
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can anyone comment on the differences between PDK's of different Porsche models? I have a base 981 w/PDK. I noticed one comment about the 981 PDK being superior to the 987 PDK's, good to hear. I've been told that the Cayman R's PDK has an extra cooler fitted. Is this accurate? Any suggestions on track prepping your 981 PDK for track use? Thanks Much
Old 09-01-2022, 10:53 PM
maschinetheist
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Lvoncannon
Can anyone comment on the differences between PDK's of different Porsche models? I have a base 981 w/PDK. I noticed one comment about the 981 PDK being superior to the 987 PDK's, good to hear. I've been told that the Cayman R's PDK has an extra cooler fitted. Is this accurate? Any suggestions on track prepping your 981 PDK for track use? Thanks Much
981 base (hate that term) / S / GTS already have a PDK cooler while 987 base / S did not. You can see it on the rear side of the transmission gear housing. LN Engineering (and maybe others - I’m not affiliated with anyone) sell an upgraded unit with larger oil storage.

I know one local person that’s done the upgrade along with a center radiator. My indy and I just replace the clutch and gear oil more often so we haven’t dug into putting in an upgraded unit.

As for frequency of PDK fluid flushes if you track? That’s all over the board from what I’ve been told and read. Most stick to annual or every 2 years or so.

Last edited by maschinetheist; 09-01-2022 at 10:57 PM.
Old 09-02-2022, 12:01 AM
Lvoncannon
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many Thanks Maschinetheist

I have asked several mechanics. Got no real answer. Much appreciated
Old 09-02-2022, 08:42 AM
maschinetheist
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lvoncannon
Many Thanks Maschinetheist

I have asked several mechanics. Got no real answer. Much appreciated
You’re welcome. Yeah, that seems to be standard. Not many mechanics or even dealers had a chance to open them up. As you read rennlist you’ll see so many wild ideas about PDK cooling and fluids.

I got answers all over the place so we’re doing our own thing. More frequent fluid changes (beside the 6-12 year intervals) should do the trick. My Indy who builds spec caymans recommends doing the gear oil more often. We might do the PDK filter at 60k too. We’ll do our best until official guidance comes from Porsche and leave the rest to entropy. Only so much we can do.
Old 09-16-2022, 09:43 AM
toma nova
Rennlist Member

Received 362 Likes on 243 Posts

My 2013 S has a P1733 code, one of four that indicates a distance sensor failure (1731-1734). It also has a related P1737 code for start / stop assist (hill start assist, not auto start stop). The current solution is to replace the distance sensor with the upgraded part from @t-design . There is also a part available from xemodex.com (fork position sensor). The T-Design sensor has 200+ installations with no failures and is being used in repairs 12+ times a month.

Ill be using Atlanta Speedwerks for the repair. Their transmission guru has done 25+ distance sensor repairs (as well as many other PDK repairs) and these range from race cars to street / track to daily drivers with no issues. He is very knowledgeable and 100% confident that the code is the distance sensor and that the improved part is the correct fix. They are scheduling out about a month but I’ll update once the repair is completed.

Tom
The following users liked this post:
AngeloGTS (01-05-2023)
Old 09-21-2022, 10:38 AM
maschinetheist
Instructor

Originally Posted by toma nova
My 2013 S has a P1733 code, one of four that indicates a distance sensor failure (1731-1734). It also has a related P1737 code for start / stop assist (hill start assist, not auto start stop). The current solution is to replace the distance sensor with the upgraded part from @t-design . There is also a part available from xemodex.com (fork position sensor). The T-Design sensor has 200+ installations with no failures and is being used in repairs 12+ times a month.

Ill be using Atlanta Speedwerks for the repair. Their transmission guru has done 25+ distance sensor repairs (as well as many other PDK repairs) and these range from race cars to street / track to daily drivers with no issues. He is very knowledgeable and 100% confident that the code is the distance sensor and that the improved part is the correct fix. They are scheduling out about a month but I’ll update once the repair is completed.

Tom
Sorry to hear about the failure but great to see that you're not giving up on the car and getting it fixed. Let us know how the repair progresses. Many of us will sleep better knowing that this is no longer a throw-away $20+k transmission. Good luck 👏
Old 12-21-2022, 11:59 PM
McGary911
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

I finally got a chance to read this post, and I’m glad I did. It’s a great one.

I actually did a valve body repair on a Subaru Forester with a CVT. It was a bad solenoid in the valve body. I confirmed it was bad with my multi meter. A $90 dollar part from Amazon and it’s been fine ever since. Most shops wanted 2 grand for a new valve body (installed). It was even easier on that car as the valve body is on top of the transmission. Easy to get to and didn’t have to drain the fluid. Crazy that a very similar repair can be done to my 981BS.

Thanks again for the post.
Old 12-31-2022, 12:49 PM
toma nova
Rennlist Member

Received 362 Likes on 243 Posts

My PDK is as good as new!

I towed the Boxster to Atlanta Speedwerks in October and they replaced the distance sensor while I worked remotely from quaint Gainesville, GA. Repair went well, 80 mile drive testing all modes and possibilities was good, ready to trailer back to Houston…

During the cold drive the next morning, the tech heard bearing noise while pulling out of the shop. (Previous day’s drives were all warm / hot after calibrating the PDK.) So, we towed home an empty trailer and put the trans on the list for a rebuild.

All new internals (bearings, solenoids, valve body, clutches, etc.) and I’ve now got a new PDK. Todd helped me out a bunch on the labor so I essentially paid for just the rebuild plus the new distance sensor. Although an expensive repair, I’ve now got a complete rebuild with the lifetime sensor from Vlad. I’m happy with the work and recommend Atlanta Speedwerks for any PDK repairs (they had two more out of cars for rebuilds when I was picking up). I’ve not had one other repair or issue with the car in 7 years, 30k miles, and 20+ track days.

Bottom line - PDKs are repairable and there is at least one experienced shop able to tackle this.
The following 3 users liked this post by toma nova:
AngeloGTS (01-05-2023), maschinetheist (12-31-2022), sonorous (01-03-2023)
Old 08-14-2023, 02:02 PM
6mmamer
Advanced

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

LMN in Virginia Beach fixed mine. Distance sensor. After the dealership quoted $18K for a new transmission.
There's a shop in Summerville SC I found and had confidence in.
There's a shop in your area I also had confidence in. I believe it was Miller Sports in Hillsborough.
Find a shop that works on race cars. Racers break stuff and those shops have a more in depth skill set.
Here's a link that may help. Can't PM you since you're new.

https://www.pcarwise.com/local-help/...op-in-apex-nc/
The following 2 users liked this post by 6mmamer:
ElCid86 (08-23-2023), FOBioPatel (10-19-2023)
Old 04-04-2024, 06:06 AM
Carlos911
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Somewhere in this info mentions a UK based repairer for the PDK
Could you please let me know who this is, I shall note the name in case my GTS ever develops problems
Cheers

CWC
Manchester
Old 04-04-2024, 06:24 AM
981_Boxster_Alf
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default U.K. PDK Repairer

Berlinetta Engineering in Cardiff have the capability to repair PDK boxes through replacement of position sensors and speed sensors. They use after market T design 9 parts which have a lifetime warranty unlike OEM parts (which you can’t buy) and are more robust.
The following users liked this post:
t-design (04-08-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 10:50 AM
981_Boxster_Alf
6th Gear

Default PDK Repair

Also worth mentioning that Berlinetta Engineering will come out to you and repair your gearbox at home or nearby suitable location rather than having to worry about getting your car to Cardiff.
Old 04-08-2024, 04:40 AM
Carlos911
Track Day

Originally Posted by 981_Boxster_Alf
Also worth mentioning that Berlinetta Engineering will come out to you and repair your gearbox at home or nearby suitable location rather than having to worry about getting your car to Cardiff.
cheers for this have you used them ?

I am in nearby Edgworth not far from you assuming its Preston UK ?
Old 04-08-2024, 05:43 AM
981_Boxster_Alf
6th Gear

Yes, Berlinetta Engineering repaired my 981 PDK. Position sensor replaced because it failed. Speed sensor replaced as a precaution.
Old 04-08-2024, 06:53 AM
Carlos911
Track Day

Originally Posted by 981_Boxster_Alf
Yes, Berlinetta Engineering repaired my 981 PDK. Position sensor replaced because it failed. Speed sensor replaced as a precaution.
what cost did that come out at ?

Quick Reply: PDK Repair Summary