Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 GTS Tail Lights - EURO (non NA) version?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2021, 10:18 PM
ncster
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Snip's
So with the Euro tail light on the right side..... When the brake lights come on, there is no red lights activated? Only yellow ?
That doesn't look right. Rear red lights and brake lights should work as normal. Yellow lights should only be fore the turn indicators.
Old 06-09-2021, 12:03 AM
foodbiker

Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for part numbers!

Someone said with Euro - you lose your running lights? Is this true?
Old 06-09-2021, 12:10 AM
Strat_928
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I agree - i have them myself and they act as normal, with the exception that the amber shows as a turn signal and as the surround color, yes there is red for braking. I am guessing the wrong pic was uploaded. I am on vacation but I will try to get a pic when I get back to demonstrate.

One note - the connectors (as pictured above) are indeed slightly different. You will notice a small notch at the bottom left of the US connector. That is filled in on the Euro connector. It does not fit easily! So to not force it, I took a Dremel and knocked that edge down on the Euro plug. Then it went on rather smoothly. Afterwards it all worked great. There are some good You tubes showing how to install them otherwise. I could not find anything about this difference. So I am assuming most people just force it on. Seems to work fine otherwise! Love the Euro color diff

The following users liked this post:
foodbiker (06-09-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 12:23 AM
foodbiker

Rennlist Member

Fantastic, @Strat_928 ! Looking forward to photo examples when you get back. Enjoy your vacation!
Old 06-09-2021, 11:25 AM
burnergt4
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by foodbiker
Thanks for part numbers!

Someone said with Euro - you lose your running lights? Is this true?
The forward-facing daytime running lights? I'm not sure what effect replacing the rears would have on the fronts. I'll try to remember to take before and after images, though.
Old 06-09-2021, 12:05 PM
foodbiker

Rennlist Member

Whoops!!!

I meant that the taillights (not the front running lights) are supposed to stay on when the headlights are on --just like the US (both GTS and Standard) versions.

Could someone please confirm the following, especially per the EURO version?

US (Standard and GTS): Taillights = RED, Brake lights = RED, Directionals = RED
EURO (GTS): Taillights = AMBER?, Brake lights = RED, Directionals = AMBER

A huge thanks!
Old 06-09-2021, 01:19 PM
burnergt4
Rennlist Member

I meant that the taillights (not the front running lights) are supposed to stay on when the headlights are on --just like the US (both GTS and Standard) versions.
Ok, that clarifies the "running lights" confusion, but I'm still not sure I quite understand your question of "Someone said with Euro - you lose your running lights?"—when lights are manually switched on they should…be on. I would assume that's a universal safety thing whether in North America or Europe (or anywhere else in the world for that matter). All the same, I'll try to document all the different states (off, side lights, low beam/driving lights, rear fog light) with both the stock North America lights and the Euro lights (unless someone that already has a pair installed wants to tackle the latter).

Edit: for clarity, the above lighting state terminology is described in the user's manual:

US (Standard and GTS): Taillights = RED, Brake lights = RED, Directionals = RED
EURO (GTS): Taillights = AMBER?, Brake lights = RED, Directionals = AMBER
Sure, I'll document these.

Last edited by burnergt4; 06-09-2021 at 01:48 PM.
foodbiker (06-13-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 02:49 PM
ncster
Rennlist Member

I think the confusion stems from the image shared above, in which the Euro GTS taillights are just lighting up the amber turn indicator (thin horizontal strip in the middle of the taillight), whereas the N/A base taillights are lighting up both the horizontal strip in red as well as the outer curved strip (part of the rear brake lights) in red.

This could be because the N/A base taillights actually flash both lights (horizontal strip and outer curved strip) with the turn indicator but the EURO GTS taillights only flash the horizontal bit.
The following 2 users liked this post by ncster:
foodbiker (06-13-2021), Strat_928 (03-28-2022)
Old 06-09-2021, 07:26 PM
burnergt4
Rennlist Member

Right, here's a video where I cycled through the various lighting states—completely off, side lights, low beam/driving lights—with hazards running to illustrate what the indicator lights are doing (for each comparison, stock GT4 lights are first, followed by the GTS Euro lights):

And here's cycling through the same states + hazards running + brake lights during each state:

It's hard to make out since the highlights in the last one are a bit overblown, but the brake lights in both cases (stock GT4 + GTS) are always red. The only amber part on the GTS lights are the indicators. The side light and low beam settings both turn on the same parts of the rear light; see the user's manual excerpt above to see what exactly the differences are between side light and low beam.

Hopefully this helps to clarify how these work!

Last edited by burnergt4; 06-14-2021 at 07:57 PM.
foodbiker (06-13-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 07:31 PM
ncster
Rennlist Member

Thank you! That answers everything!

So it seems my guess was correct -- the NA version taillights flash the curved taillight with the horizontal strip light (both red) for the turn indicators. Euro GTS taillights only flash the amber/yellow horizontal strip for the turn indicators.

Last edited by ncster; 06-09-2021 at 07:33 PM.
foodbiker (06-13-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 07:42 PM
burnergt4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ncster
Thank you! That answers everything!

So it seems my guess was correct -- the NA version taillights flash the curved taillight with the horizontal strip light (both red) for the turn indicators. Euro GTS taillights only flash the amber/yellow horizontal strip for the turn indicators.
Yep, you were correct 👍🏼 It's a subtle difference, for sure.
foodbiker (06-13-2021)
Old 06-13-2021, 10:00 AM
foodbiker

Rennlist Member

You are a rockstar, @burnergt4! Can't wait to watch these videos right now. This is exactly what I was looking for. So many thanks.
burnergt4 (06-13-2021)
Old 06-19-2021, 08:55 PM
foodbiker

Rennlist Member

@burnergt4 - Again, you're a rock star and your videos clear everything up. I got a bit confused about the videos as to which when first, and finally it made sense to me per the order -- as it is indeed a subtle difference.

Finally - I get it -- it seems to make sense as to how/why the amber (yellow) directional (horizontal line only) flashes the headlights are off. That seems to be a huge difference right there. Looks amazing and the Euro GTS lights are going on my short "to buy" list!!! Thanks again.
Old 06-20-2021, 01:59 AM
ncster
Rennlist Member

I think the reason NA lights flash the brake lights with the turn indicator strip is because of the US requirement of minimum surface area on first flash of the turn indicator (an archaic regulation from the 60s/70s that led to red turn indicators in the US). I wouldn’t be surprised if the NA GTS taillights (clear taillights with red turn indicator) also flash the brake lights with the strip.

Euro lights are definitely the way to go.
Old 08-05-2021, 08:46 PM
Snip's
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Suncoast has them on sale...
I ordered my set on 7/30 and they arrived today 8/5....
Best part.... No shipping damage....

Quick Reply: 981 GTS Tail Lights - EURO (non NA) version?