Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coolant overfill on 981

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 10:48 AM
Jay777
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
Default coolant overfill on 981

I just purchased a 2015 981 and decided to check coolant level. The car had been idling in the driveway for about 10 minutes so was reasonable warm. I slowly loosened the cap and heard a gurgling sound for about 5 seconds after which it stopped. I removed the cap and noticed that the red indicator stalk inside was WAY high. I figured I'd deal with it later so put the cap back on and went for a short drive. a short time later I noticed the smell of coolant, so returned and noticed some coolant in the driveway where the car had been parked. From that, the smell and the gurgling sound I figured coolant had boiled out when I opened the cap to read the level. I've never seen the engine so have no idea what parts of the engine the coolant flowed onto, but assume it will bake off and be ok. True? Does anyone know a good way to drain out excess coolant (or is it even a problem)? Thanks.

Last edited by Jay777; 04-15-2021 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-15-2021, 10:56 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 246 Likes on 169 Posts

No worries. Any excess should bleed off.
Only open that cap when cold.
Old 04-15-2021, 11:24 AM
DrBillyD
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 94 Posts

From what you describe, I'd be worried that the coolant level now is too low, rather than too high.

I'm thinking the gurgling sound you heard when you loosened the cap was air being sucked into the cooling system, so that when the cap was taken off and you could see the indicator stick, the excess air plus existing coolant caused the level to appear elevated.

When you put the cap back on and went for a drive, the air in the system would expand more than the coolant as temperature increased, thus forcing some coolant out through the overflow port. Depending on the configuration of the overflow port, it's also possible that some of the excess air was flushed as well.

I'm not a mechanic and certainly no expert on the cooling system on the 981 but based on above, I'd at least run the scenario by a mechanic that is familiar with the cooling system on a 981 to see if my reasoning is plausible.

Since the car is 2015, you might want to consider a cooling system flush and fill irregardless. I usually do that every 5 years or so on all my vehicles.

I don't mess with the cooling system unless it's a totally cold engine, which for me means 6 or more hours of engine off time.

Last edited by DrBillyD; 04-16-2021 at 09:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ekam (04-15-2021)
Old 04-15-2021, 11:48 AM
SteveG
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 77 Posts

You might want to access the system through the res under the engine cover, which involves using a flat edge screw driver or putty knife to gently pry up the sound deadening pad over the cover and then releasing the cover tabs (separately) for access. The linked thread may help understand the system better; the tool they are describing is $135, which I don't think you would need unless you are going to flush the system yourself, but unless you are going to pay a dealer or mech to flush it, this tool seems well worth the price to take the "air" issue out of the process; it claims to have adapters for all sizes. It seems the Cayman/Boxter system is prone to extra air getting in during a flush which someone has already identified as having happened in your res. : https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...an-2007-a.html

Like you, I would want to see if there is any residue left from the suspected overflow. Otherwise taking it to a dealer or indy mechanic is your other option. (YMMV) Your mileage may vary.

Good luck.

Old 04-15-2021, 12:32 PM
Jay777
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks guys. It was a boneheaded move opening the cap when the engine was warm/hot. I know better. I was sitting in the car with the ignition on configuring settings and checking things out . After a while I turned the ignition off and continued reading the manual when I came across the manual section on coolant level and decided to check, forgetting that the engine had been running. D'oh. Note to self - have second cup of coffee before operating machinery
The following users liked this post:
cavediver32043 (04-17-2021)
Old 04-15-2021, 12:38 PM
Viper pilot
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 67 Posts

Ready----Shoot----Aim!!!!
Old 04-16-2021, 09:08 AM
jay@EZimmoblock.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 411 Likes on 233 Posts

It's all your fault Nick. If you sold me your 14-ways I would have been more comfortable and thinkin' straight
Old 04-16-2021, 09:42 AM
Viper pilot
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 67 Posts

LOL! It always comes down to the seats!! Wipe up the puddles on the drive and carry on Jay and have fun!

Quick Reply: coolant overfill on 981