Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mismatched Tires Front to Rear

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 03:58 PM
DrBillyD
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 94 Posts

Interesting!

I have N-spec PS4S on my 2016 Spyder and they have the rim protector like the ones on your Cayman.

Just recently got PS4S for my 2014 Cayenne Turbo S. No N-spec in the size needed (295/35-R21) so went with Mercedes spec (MO), which had the same rim protector.

Do the PS4S on your BMW have any particular manufacturer specification?

Originally Posted by Jlappppp
I see you already got tires, but a bit of info for possible differences of N vs non N
Years ago I had a friend order tires for his Audi The shop installed N rated tires, which were the right size for his car, but the wrong load rating. (Michelin PS2’s) His car needed a higher load rating, so they replaced the tires with the proper ones. The new ones were the exact same tire, PS2’s as well, just a higher load rating, but had no rim protecter vs the N rated ones that had a rim protector. While this won’t always be the case, it’s possible the picture of the tire shown on tire rack or wherever won’t be what the tire you get actually looks like, also make sure the load rating is correct for the non “N” tires being purchased. Pics below of new PS4’s on my new to me Cayman S with rim protectors vs the tires on my X5 without rim protectors for reference. (Not saying non N rated tires won’t have a rim protector, but this may sometimes be the case. Certainly possible some N rated tires don’t have rim protectors too)
Old 05-12-2021, 04:29 PM
Jlappppp
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

My BMW in the pic has continentals on it now, unfortunately there are very few tire options for it. They are “Star BMW” spec. My winters which are Pirelli in the same size have no designation but have huge rim protectors.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:40 AM
ncster
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts

Just got the tires installed. Turns out Costco had actually ordered NA0 fronts for me. So I have Porsche NA0 fronts and Mercedes M01 rears. Waiting to get an alignment before I take it for a proper drive but I can definitely recommend Costco for anyone looking to get tires in the USA. They even bagged my old A/S 3+ for me.

EDIT: Regarding rim protector, both NA0 and M01 tires have rim protectors, but they're a lot shallower than the ones on the A/S 3+. Will share photos soon. Thanks for all the advice!

Last edited by ncster; 05-14-2021 at 01:39 AM.
Old 05-15-2021, 12:44 PM
maximusbibicus
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Four Ring Circus
The Michelin PS4S are fantastic all around tires. I have run these as summers on my current Audi S6, my previous Audi A8L, and of course on my 981 CS. They grip amazingly, are progressive over longer track sessions (done 25 minutes+), and as I confirmed again great in the wet when my first session at the track last month was rain soaked and yet incredibly predictable on these. I should not have been surprised, as I ran these in a monsoon at Pocono a few years ago in my S6 (yes I did 135mph in the family sedan at pocono in a rain storm- was so bad we got the ok to run with windows down). On top of all that, they stood up really well to be tracked on a 4400 pound sports sedan and gave me way more life than you would expect. I push my Cayman harder than I ever pushed the Audi, but they always amaze me.
Nice, thanks for the input.

Its been a busy month so haven't been on here to share experiences but I am really happy with them. It is such a massive improvement over the stock P-Zeros in noise, comfort and on centre feel which on its own is a huge win. Keep in mind while my rears were only a season old my fronts were 7 years old and in brutal shape. The fact that the grip feels so much better is just icing on the cake. In my small sample size overall cornering grip is a huge improvement but I have noticed that they do breakaway a little quicker than the P-Zeros especially when putting the power down coming out of a turn. I am comparing same corner, similar temps and no traction control. Again, small sample size. That said, when it did give out it was extremely predictable and controllable.

Well worth the premium for sure.
Old 05-15-2021, 12:46 PM
maximusbibicus
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ncster
Thanks for your input! Load rating specs for summer tires on the 19" rims on the 981 are 92Y front, 98Y rear. Both the regular and N01 235/40R19 PS4S fronts are 96Y. M01 265/40R19 PS4S rears are 102Y. So should be good on the load rating.

Regarding rim protector, I guess I won't know till I get the tires. I do have an option to cancel the purchase at any time before installation but the rim protector is not a deal breaker for me.

If Michelin made N-rated 265/40R19 PS4S, I would have shelled out for a full N-rated set.
Yeah the rim protector is not a huge concern but mine do have them. More obvious on the rear than the front.
Old 05-15-2021, 12:48 PM
maximusbibicus
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ncster
Just got the tires installed. Turns out Costco had actually ordered NA0 fronts for me. So I have Porsche NA0 fronts and Mercedes M01 rears. Waiting to get an alignment before I take it for a proper drive but I can definitely recommend Costco for anyone looking to get tires in the USA. They even bagged my old A/S 3+ for me.

EDIT: Regarding rim protector, both NA0 and M01 tires have rim protectors, but they're a lot shallower than the ones on the A/S 3+. Will share photos soon. Thanks for all the advice!
Sweet, exact same setup as mine. Looking forward to your opinions, just gave a quick write up a couple posts up. Weather is getting better here in the great north and I'll be out a lot having some fun!

Quick Reply: Mismatched Tires Front to Rear