Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP !! 981 Cayman S 2013 PDK Gear slippage and Revvs lowered

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 06:29 PM
Ash K
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation video of the revving done yesterday

please watch this video.

also watch this video showing the CEL and PSM LOSS
Old 03-12-2021, 06:36 PM
Ash K
AutoX

Question FAULT CODES PICTURES ATTACHED FOR REFERENCE : check

Old 03-12-2021, 06:41 PM
Ash K
AutoX

Originally Posted by alvitdk
This....

I take my car in the Hill country twisties almost every month, given its the base 2.7L engine, I mostly run it between 5 and 7k RPM, but always make sure to give it time to cool down between runs. Usually, I do not let it get higher than 220F before taking a break and slow down. The temperature drops rather quickly back into normal operating temperature. Long story short....you are driving beyond the limits of the specifications of the car.
probably yes, i've had a broken vaccum seal cup break, had a radiator hose break and leak, had a header break and finish off my front brakes in 1 month use of twisties and daily driving and i still cant get enough of my car
Old 03-12-2021, 06:43 PM
Ash K
AutoX

Originally Posted by Kitc2246
From my understanding an overheated PDK would go into limp mode with a different CEL. I'd investigate the meaning of the error code more. I suspect its worn clutches that slip in Sport+ at redline that gets worse when the PDK fluid gets hot. I'd find a shop with a PIWIS and do a PDK recalibration. Cobb has a PDK tune that includes increasing the clutch pressure with their higher HP tunes.

If you had a manual what do you think would happen to the clutch after 100 "launches"?

When I track my 2013 BS PDK with added third radiator I've seen 280 briefly. 250-260 is common. No limp mode or other CELs. 981 S run hot. The 981 GT4 with 3.8l runs really hot 280-300. When I see oil temps above 250 I start paddle shifts instead of running to redline in Sport+. Car has 33,200 miles and 10 track days. I just had the PDK fluid changed. Using Mobil 1 5W-50 oil.
true i think so too, i'm waiting to take it to the next mechanic in porsche hobart and they've booked the car in for a week, will see how they go before i give the car off to melbourne which will take 2 months to sort out coz of car frieghting delays in mainland australia.
Old 03-12-2021, 06:46 PM
Ash K
AutoX

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Overheating PDK IMHO. Car should not be driven with engine oil temp > 240° F per LN Engineering. You are at 260°F. My PDK oil temp averages 185°F with normal driving (water 198° and oil 215°). Check the two Change Over Valves for both PDK oil coolers (clutch fluid and gear oil). Change both fluids. Recalibrate PDK as clutch’s worn by launch control. Your Cobb Accessport allows you to monitor PDK oil temp so do it. If you want to drive around town at redline, add third radiator and low temp thermostat like the track guys do. Also, adding a bigger sump will increase oil capacity which will also assist with cooling.
sounds like a good plan, thanks. i wonder if i should just the a GT3 considering how much i abuse my car !! lol but i just love the way cayman handles its so my dream car ! cant get myself to sell it and hence wanting to repair it instead
Old 03-12-2021, 06:49 PM
Ash K
AutoX

Originally Posted by deilenberger
About 78,000 miles. Shouldn't be worn out yet - but with all those launches.. (>100) all bets are off on clutch wear. It might benefit from a clutch calibration and primary control/clutch fluid change.
the clutch fluid, PDK oil, the transmission fluid and engine oil were changed 3000 KMS ago by my mechanic, serviced regular intervals , air filters changed. will see how i go again with my local porsche dealer in hobart as mainland melbourne is a massive task of freighting the car to ! wondering if my local porsche guys can actually do PDK recalibration or not !
Old 03-12-2021, 06:51 PM
Ash K
AutoX

Originally Posted by Visual
The overheating theory as others suggested makes sense since there's no limp mode warning. Looking at your video, your engine oil temperature is at 127 Celsius. That seems really high for non-track driving, 127 C is 260 Fahrenheit, I imagine the PDK fluid is at a very high temperature as well. Just a guess.
usually my temp is 132 degree celsius on hard driving with PSI of 70 continuous driving upto 2 hours non stop revvings in twisties which is what i do every week on my day off. never taken car to track but i drive like on track in the TASMANIAN TWISTIES coz low traffic on road here
Old 03-12-2021, 06:53 PM
Ash K
AutoX

Originally Posted by conceptDawg
From the video that doesn't correspond to what people usually call "limp mode." When you get a real "limp mode" you'll know about it because the dash will tell you something like "PDK failure, reduced performance, safe to continue driving" Or something more foreboding if it's a real issue.

What you have seems like is either an ECU problem or clutch slippage. It's not shifting cleanly. This can also happen if the PDK/fluid overheats as I've had it happen once on track due to an hour+ session.
Sport+ it should only be shifting at redline, especially if you are under acceleration. And each of those shifts should be instant (and under full accel they can be somewhat violent compared to a normal shift). If you put it back into normal Sport mode the problem disappears? If so that portends an ECU problem and not a mechanical one. If not, then it could be either. You should show this video to your service tech.

Your comments about cool down helping it point more toward the overheating problem.

That being said, stop launching the car that much. I'm not sure what you get out of that, but it's certainly not good for the powertrain. Sure, it CAN do it, but that doesn't mean you SHOULD do it. The Cayman isn't even particularly powerful enough to be exciting to launch.
sure overheating might be the issue, clutch may need to be replaced too ! thanks . will see what happens next and keep you all updated
Old 03-12-2021, 07:02 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 507 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash K

The following 3 users liked this post by ekam:
Ash K (03-14-2021), burnergt4 (03-14-2021), CaymanCarver (03-13-2021)
Old 03-12-2021, 07:21 PM
remington
Burning Brakes

Received 1,449 Likes on 518 Posts

100+ launch controls....a reminder that buying a used Porsche can be perilous. Take that PDK mileage and x2.
The following users liked this post:
Ash K (03-14-2021)
Old 03-12-2021, 10:16 PM
cjrhoades
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash K
please watch this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQS4ZCjBzkM

also watch this video showing the CEL and PSM LOSS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBr5uX2OoMQ
Looks and sounds like clutch slip to me in the 1st video. The way the revs shoot up in 2nd gear without the speed really climbing and how lazy those shifts are.
Ash K (03-13-2021)
Old 03-12-2021, 10:51 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 347 Posts

I'm wondering why everyone here is being so nice trying to help this guy. He doesn't really want advice/knowledge...He's either trolling the board or bragging and, I suspect, is an absolute menace on public roads. I see guys like this almost every weekend where I live...They come up here doing stupid stuff that not only endangers everyone else on the road but also makes it difficult for the rest of us to drive on public roads in any kind of spirited manner. Quit giving him good advice and let him blow his car up....
The following 2 users liked this post by TMc993:
CaymanCarver (03-13-2021), ekam (03-13-2021)
Old 03-13-2021, 06:14 AM
Snip's
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

I hope Porsche does this kind of testing when they develop a new engine and transmission before they release it for production....
Ash K (03-13-2021)
Old 03-13-2021, 06:30 AM
Ash K
AutoX

Originally Posted by TMc993
I'm wondering why everyone here is being so nice trying to help this guy. He doesn't really want advice/knowledge...He's either trolling the board or bragging and, I suspect, is an absolute menace on public roads. I see guys like this almost every weekend where I live...They come up here doing stupid stuff that not only endangers everyone else on the road but also makes it difficult for the rest of us to drive on public roads in any kind of spirited manner. Quit giving him good advice and let him blow his car up....
no one is forcing you to give any form of advise dude. i've already got advise from people here. the surest way for people like you to own and drive your porsche is to drive it LIKE A GRANNY and keep it in your garage washed up and clean.
Old 03-14-2021, 11:07 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,708 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by TMc993
With the spelling, language, and lack of understanding of how a car works, this bloke appears to have afew 'roos loose in the top paddock.
Either that or is trolling, yeah...

If the first, he should sell the Porsche, buy a Torana and take it to the track...
The following 2 users liked this post by Kuro Neko:
adam_987.2 (03-15-2021), Viper pilot (03-14-2021)

Quick Reply: HELP !! 981 Cayman S 2013 PDK Gear slippage and Revvs lowered