Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Cayman Owner + Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2021, 06:19 PM
HeightsAg
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts
Default New Cayman Owner + Questions

Howdy Rennlist Members - I just picked up a new to me 2016 Cayman Black Edition and, so far, loving it. This is my second 981 Cayman after some time in an M2 and a 991 911. Missed my Cayman and began my search for the perfect one late last year. Love the spec that I found - x73 suspension, PSE, Sport Steering Wheel plus lots of other cool options. 19k miles and amazingly still under factory warranty for another month! The combo of paddle shift PDK + PSE is awesome!

As factory warranty is coming to an end soon, I wanted to pick your brains on things that I may need to have looked at prior to expiry (ex: door panels showing some initial signs of separation as I know is common). Any other items to have checked? I plan on adding Fidelity Platinum warranty this month as well, but still worth pushing for anything needed while there is no deductible.

Lastly, thanks to all on this forum for the wealth of knowledge provided during my search. HUGE help!

The following 3 users liked this post by HeightsAg:
Atlas 987 (02-27-2021), boxsterisgood (02-28-2021), CaymanCarver (02-28-2021)
Old 02-27-2021, 07:13 PM
ivluta
Advanced

Received 63 Likes on 26 Posts

Beautiful Cayman....love the platinum satin wheels. Enjoy it!!
Old 02-27-2021, 08:37 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 357 Posts

I was in the same situation as you about 1.5 years ago with my '14 CS. Still had 6 months warranty left when I bought it.

I posted a message on our local PCA region FB page about warranty work, and a local dealer service writer responded.. He told me to check 3 things that are very common on the 981s... Turns out, mine had all 3 (door panel warping, headlight delamination, frunk carpet warping) I sent him pics (honestly, none of the issues were that bad, there WAS a 'slight" delamination on the headlight, and one of the door panels was just barely separating..) and I got scheduled for service 2 days later..

Needless to say, I'm glad as this ended up saving me probably close to 5-6K in parts alone..

I would closely look at those 3 areas..

I also got a Fidelity Platinum warranty while it had under 25k miles.. there is a decent price change once you go over 25k. Also, I got a slightly better deal on warranty since it was still covered under the factory warranty (as opposed to waiting until the factory warranty had expired.)

Beautiful car, BTW.
The following users liked this post:
boxsterisgood (02-28-2021)
Old 02-28-2021, 12:15 AM
HeightsAg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by saabin
I was in the same situation as you about 1.5 years ago with my '14 CS. Still had 6 months warranty left when I bought it.

I posted a message on our local PCA region FB page about warranty work, and a local dealer service writer responded.. He told me to check 3 things that are very common on the 981s... Turns out, mine had all 3 (door panel warping, headlight delamination, frunk carpet warping) I sent him pics (honestly, none of the issues were that bad, there WAS a 'slight" delamination on the headlight, and one of the door panels was just barely separating..) and I got scheduled for service 2 days later..

Needless to say, I'm glad as this ended up saving me probably close to 5-6K in parts alone..

I would closely look at those 3 areas..

I also got a Fidelity Platinum warranty while it had under 25k miles.. there is a decent price change once you go over 25k. Also, I got a slightly better deal on warranty since it was still covered under the factory warranty (as opposed to waiting until the factory warranty had expired.)

Beautiful car, BTW.

Very helpful. Glad to hear that those items were replaced even though the issues were “slight.” I will definitely push to have the door panels replaced and will check closely on the headlights. Had the frunk carpet issue on a prior Cayman but haven’t noticed an issue on this one.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:17 AM
HeightsAg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ivluta
Beautiful Cayman....love the platinum satin wheels. Enjoy it!!

Thanks! Yes, the platinum satin wheels were a big selling point for me - look great with black (though black paint is a love hate relationship!)
Old 02-28-2021, 01:55 AM
boxsterisgood
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP, how do I check door panel separation issue carefully? Right now, I don't see any obvious separation and would very much to learn what would be some good ways to investigate it. Thank you.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:57 AM
boxsterisgood
Intermediate

My 981S is facing headlight delamination issue right now. Do you mind explaining how to check the frunk carpet warping and door panel warping? I checked my both doors and don't see any obvious separation for now. Thank you so much.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:23 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 246 Likes on 169 Posts

Congrats! Such a fantastic road car man ..what a car.
Old 02-28-2021, 10:15 AM
HeightsAg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by boxsterisgood
OP, how do I check door panel separation issue carefully? Right now, I don't see any obvious separation and would very much to learn what would be some good ways to investigate it. Thank you.
I’ve mostly seen it at the corner on the top edge of the panel. My new car has it and you can see it in this pic where it is starting to lift. I’m hoping I can convince Porsche to fix it prior to warranty end.
boxsterisgood (03-02-2021)
Old 02-28-2021, 10:29 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,016 Posts

Originally Posted by HeightsAg
I’ve mostly seen it at the corner on the top edge of the panel. My new car has it and you can see it in this pic where it is starting to lift. I’m hoping I can convince Porsche to fix it prior to warranty end.
My curiosity got the best of me and I went out to check mine especially since I just replaced the door handle mechanism. Mine does line up better.

Old 02-28-2021, 11:08 AM
Robert Nixon
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts

I don't know any specifics about the 981 or the warranty, but is the battery covered, just on the odd chance it's a 5 year old original battery.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:14 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boxsterisgood
My 981S is facing headlight delamination issue right now. Do you mind explaining how to check the frunk carpet warping and door panel warping? I checked my both doors and don't see any obvious separation for now. Thank you so much.
Frunk carpet is easy.. mine looked like this.. you could tuck it back under the trim but a day later it would look like this again..

Originally Posted by HeightsAg
Yep, that's pretty much what mine looked like and it was covered.

Search on this forum for delaminated and you will come across pics of headlights that show this condition..

Last edited by saabin; 02-28-2021 at 12:16 PM.
boxsterisgood (03-02-2021)
Old 02-28-2021, 12:24 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Robert Nixon
I don't know any specifics about the 981 or the warranty, but is the battery covered, just on the odd chance it's a 5 year old original battery.
Getting a battery replaced under warranty would be tough, I tried once for a different Porsche (997TT) but the dealer said something like "you have to drive the car a minimum of X miles a year to keep it fresh" OR use a battery tender " This was a few years ago, though. I don't recall what the "X" value was, maybe 3K ? I do remember I just bought an interstate battery on my own and got a tender..

I suppose it's dealer dependent and how big a stink do you want to make? I'm fairly certain if you bought a new Porsche and let it sit for 2 years (driving 1K miles a year for example) and if you battery died after 2 years, the dealer would NOT cover it under warranty.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:31 AM
boxsterisgood
Intermediate

Thank you so much for your reply and I really appreciate it.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:33 AM
boxsterisgood
Intermediate

Thank you so much for the detailed information and they are really helpful. I have spent some time looking into my car and decided to ask for more help by starting a new thread if you do not mind, OP (I don't want to steal your post by my keeping asking more questions here). My car indeed has both problems and I am thinking about whether I should return it. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: New Cayman Owner + Questions