Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Boxster 30,000 mile Service

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 12:04 PM
absoluteczech
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by ledbette
Replacing the coils is not completely bogus. The #5 and 6 coils are prone to failure, especially on the 2014 and older cars. Those two coils are the farthest forward on the driver's side and sit in closest proximity to the cat. I had these two fail within a year of each another at 48K and 64K miles. When they fail, you think you destroyed your engine. It runs like crap, you get all kinds of error messages popping up. It's a pretty scary thing, especially if it happens on your morning commute on the freeway or on a long drive in the middle of nowhere.

The newer coils handle the heat better, but since I also track my car, I added the 991 heat shields to further protect them. Why the 981 doesn't have these is anyone's guess.

So, long story short, do replace the #5 and 6 coils. None of my others have failed and I've not heard reports of any of the others failing on here or Planet-9.com, so IMHO replacing the others is optional.

I DIY'ed the coils and plugs, air filters, heat shields, brakes and fluid (and pretty much all my regular maintenance for that matter). Not that difficult.
Not to mention if youre already in there changing plugs. might as well just change the coil packs for peace of mind
The following 2 users liked this post by absoluteczech:
HuskerPete (01-29-2021), ledbette (01-29-2021)
Old 01-29-2021, 03:01 PM
ledbette
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

BTW - I think they are on revision 7 of the ignition coils (9A160210407), so definitely some problems/changes to the part.
The following users liked this post:
HuskerPete (01-29-2021)
Old 01-30-2021, 10:01 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 420 Posts

The #5 and 6 coils are prone to failure, especially on the 2014 and older cars. Those two coils are the farthest forward on the driver's side and sit in closest proximity to the cat.
This reference has me scratching my head a bit. The cylinder numbering in the 981 cars is like this (firing order shown at top):

So this places the #3 and #6 coil packs closest to the catalytic convertors and they are the most prone to failure, AFAIK. The top of the coil pack is about 1 to 1.5 inches from the cat with sport headers installed, not sure with OEM exhaust, never checked. I have the 911 heat shields installed.

In 911 cars the 9A1 engine is rotated 180 degrees such that cylinders 3 and 6 are closest to the front of the car.

Last edited by okie981; 01-30-2021 at 10:03 AM.
HuskerPete (01-30-2021)
Old 01-30-2021, 07:01 PM
ledbette
Racer

You are correct. I misstated. The 5 & 6 are the closest to the rear... Due to the arrangement of the engine and exhaust, the cat on the driver's side sits closer to the engine than the passenger side. So 5 & 6 sit closer to the cat than 2 & 3.
Old 02-01-2021, 03:25 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,672 Likes on 2,091 Posts

Service is by year/mileage...the 3 year/30000 mile service should have been done 4-6 years ago.

Most of these cars are serviced by year, regardless of mileage.

Do you have the service manual? What is your in-service date? Manual or PDK?

Anyway, if you assume nothings been done get the service manual actions up to date, which for you should be everything up to year 7/8.
Old 02-07-2021, 02:56 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,991 Likes on 1,734 Posts

Replacing the coils is not completely bogus. The #5 and 6 coils are prone to failure, especially on the 2014 and older cars. Those two coils are the farthest forward on the driver's side and sit in closest proximity to the cat. I had these two fail within a year of each another at 48K and 64K miles. When they fail, you think you destroyed your engine. It runs like crap, you get all kinds of error messages popping up. It's a pretty scary thing, especially if it happens on your morning commute on the freeway or on a long drive in the middle of nowhere.

The newer coils handle the heat better, but since I also track my car, I added the 991 heat shields to further protect them. Why the 981 doesn't have these is anyone's guess.

So, long story short, do replace the #5 and 6 coils. None of my others have failed and I've not heard reports of any of the others failing on here or Planet-9.com, so IMHO replacing the others is optional.

I DIY'ed the coils and plugs, air filters, heat shields, brakes and fluid (and pretty much all my regular maintenance for that matter). Not that difficult.
How hard is it to access the #5, 6 coils? Is there anything else prone to failure on the 981's? (I'm considering added a Boxster, 981 most likely, to the mix.)
Old 02-16-2021, 03:54 PM
davei
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought plugs and coil packs from Pelican. I'm getting a misfire on cylinder #2 and my Boxster is a 2014 (non S) with mid 30k miles. I just pulled the wheels and the inner fender and wow - this looks to be a major pain. It doesn't help that there are sharp metal edges close by.. I'm starting to reconsider my decision to do this myself. It is really tight on the 2014 Boxster. I watched some of the videos of other models and they looked to have more room..
Diamond Dave (02-17-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 04:05 PM
ledbette
Racer

Originally Posted by davei
I just bought plugs and coil packs from Pelican. I'm getting a misfire on cylinder #2 and my Boxster is a 2014 (non S) with mid 30k miles. I just pulled the wheels and the inner fender and wow - this looks to be a major pain. It doesn't help that there are sharp metal edges close by.. I'm starting to reconsider my decision to do this myself. It is really tight on the 2014 Boxster. I watched some of the videos of other models and they looked to have more room..
You need to get a set of wobbly extensions of various lengths, and remove the screws to release the fender liner. It's not too hard if you have the right tools and the right approach.
Old 02-18-2021, 04:27 PM
ledbette
Racer

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
How hard is it to access the #5, 6 coils? Is there anything else prone to failure on the 981's? (I'm considering added a Boxster, 981 most likely, to the mix.)
Those are pretty easy to get to. Farthest to the rear, right above the cat on the driver's side. There are a few lists floating around of common issues. We need a sticky for those things.

These are the what seem like the most common things that come to mind.

Coils 5 & 6
Door panel warping
Coolant cap warping/leak
Windshield washer tube break at hood junction
Headlight delamination
PCM rebooting due to HDD issues
Hood latch sticking (need to lubricate)
(Cayman) headliner

Of those, I think the only expensive items are the door panel warping and headlight delamination, and headliner droop if you go with a Cayman. These are all appearance issues. Compared to the bore scoring, chunking, spun rod bearing or IMS issues of the 986/987, we have it pretty good.

If you track your car, there are a few other things to keep an eye on.

Coolant pipe drain plug crack
Stripped brake caliper bolt threads in front uprights (use aftermarket studs instead)
Exhaust manifold weld cracks
maschinetheist (10-14-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 06:19 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,991 Likes on 1,734 Posts

Those are pretty easy to get to. Farthest to the rear, right above the cat on the driver's side. There are a few lists floating around of common issues. We need a sticky for those things.

These are the what seem like the most common things that come to mind.

Coils 5 & 6
Door panel warping
Coolant cap warping/leak
Windshield washer tube break at hood junction
Headlight delamination
PCM rebooting due to HDD issues
Hood latch sticking (need to lubricate)
(Cayman) headliner

Of those, I think the only expensive items are the door panel warping and headlight delamination, and headliner droop if you go with a Cayman. These are all appearance issues. Compared to the bore scoring, chunking, spun rod bearing or IMS issues of the 986/987, we have it pretty good.

If you track your car, there are a few other things to keep an eye on.

Coolant pipe drain plug crack
Stripped brake caliper bolt threads in front uprights (use aftermarket studs instead)
Exhaust manifold weld cracks
That's a much less expensive list than I had with my 996! (IMS, AOS, Cam tensioners, coolant tank (drop motor to replace, what else is new), water pump, and more.) I replaced that all on a "very good" exceptionally clean, 30k mile car. The worst part about all that is that I can't do so much of it at home because I'm not dropping that motor. I know it can be done, but I am getting too old for that stuff. (Oh, and my caliper stud seized into the hub too).

I was really enjoying the car, but didn't totally love how the steering felt with all the weight in the rear. It was like driving a small speed boat. I'm looking forward to trying some Boxsters and Caymans. I've driven them in the past, years ago and briefly. Really liked them. I'm old school muscle primarily, but love a small, good handling car. I have a Cobra (the ultimate cross-breed between small and muscle) and a new GT350 now (best handling car I've ever driven to date. It REALLY does run dead even with GT3's. Ask me how i know. LOL).

Anything more to add to that "things to look for" list that anyone thinks of, please feel free to add it. I'll keep looking. I'm in no rush.

THANKS!
Old 02-18-2021, 06:30 PM
ledbette
Racer

In addition to the MA1 engine, which seems to have solved all of the reliability issues of the M96/M97, the electric power steering solved one of the other big reliability complaints. The electric power steering really is pretty darn good. Most of the issues now seem to be cosmetic or minor repairs. There have been a few cases of PDK failures, but those seem to be pretty isolated.

Quick Reply: 2013 Boxster 30,000 mile Service